Tyre help please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
stujoed

Tyre help please

Post by stujoed »

Some technical advice from an experienced cyclist would be very gratefully recieved.

I am looking to buy my son a used Felt F24. https://www.wheelies.co.uk/p82573/Felt- ... -Bike.aspx

It would be his first road bike and would want to fit slightly fatter and grippier tyres to help him initially.

The bike has these rims: http://www.alexrims.com/products/da22-2/ (very slow weblink but helpful profile measurements. The bike comes with 26x1 Kenda slicks. Could I fit something like this tyre to the wheels https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/prod ... _K146_Tyre

I have had a look at images of the actual bike and there seems to be a fair bit of space between the current tyres and the brakes/frame on the bike so clearance shouldn't be an issue.

Any tips/advice very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart
Bonefishblues

Re: Tyre help please

Post by Bonefishblues »

Stuart, I'm slightly puzzled as your link says the bike wears 24" wheels, not 26?

...but the link to the rims indicates that they aren't available in 24"?

Could you clarify?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Appreciate that you want to help your son's transition to a road bike, but not sure that you will achieve much with a change to a wider treaded tyre other than slow him down - or is that the real objective? My impression is that most kids pick things up incredibly fast (admittedly usually by 'pushing the envelope' :roll: ) and, if you really want to help him, try and find some high quality tyres for the existing rims - which have an internal width of 13.9mm. Maybe a set of 25-540 Schwalbe Ones (especially if the existing Kendas have been on the bike for a while)?
"42"
stujoed

Post by stujoed »

Bonefishblues wrote:Stuart, I'm slightly puzzled as your link says the bike wears 24" wheels, not 26?

...but the link to the rims indicates that they aren't available in 24"?

Could you clarify?

I just googled the link based on description in the bike advert. Hadn't noticed what you noticed.

I presume they will be 24 as that is the size of the bike. The tyres link was wrong also I think (told you I was new to this!!).
stujoed

Post by stujoed »

squeaker wrote:Appreciate that you want to help your son's transition to a road bike, but not sure that you will achieve much with a change to a wider treaded tyre other than slow him down - or is that the real objective? My impression is that most kids pick things up incredibly fast (admittedly usually by 'pushing the envelope' :roll: ) and, if you really want to help him, try and find some high quality tyres for the existing rims - which have an internal width of 13.9mm. Maybe a set of 25-540 Schwalbe Ones (especially if the existing Kendas have been on the bike for a while)?

Intention was for it to be less wobbly for him. I sense you don't think it (fatter tyres) will serve that purpose
whoof

Post by whoof »

Personally I can't see that wider tyres would make a bike less wobbly.

The link to the bike says it has 24" Kenda concept tyres. Halfords are currently selling these at 50p a tyre! Some reviewers have said they don't fit their wheels. But as the bike already has them it shouldn't be a problem you can always take the bike to Halfords and ask them it they would fit. £1 for some spare tyres doesn't sounds like a big outlay.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-pa ... pt-tyre-24

These are 1.75" wide and claim to be 24 ". SJS Cycles can probably give you good advice if you give them all of the details.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwa ... nch-47507/
stujoed

Post by stujoed »

Thanks for help. Based on views I think it will be learn the hard way!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

stujoed wrote:
squeaker wrote:Appreciate that you want to help your son's transition to a road bike, but not sure that you will achieve much with a change to a wider treaded tyre other than slow him down - or is that the real objective? My impression is that most kids pick things up incredibly fast (admittedly usually by 'pushing the envelope' :roll: ) and, if you really want to help him, try and find some high quality tyres for the existing rims - which have an internal width of 13.9mm. Maybe a set of 25-540 Schwalbe Ones (especially if the existing Kendas have been on the bike for a while)?

Intention was for it to be less wobbly for him. I sense you don't think it (fatter tyres) will serve that purpose
Different tyres will make the bike feel different eg slower/faster, but I don't think any tyre per se makes a bike less wobbly. Not sure how you define "wobbly", but bike geometry (which is more or less fixed) and rider set up plays a more important part than tyres.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

MikeF wrote:Not sure how you define "wobbly", but bike geometry (which is more or less fixed) and rider set up plays a more important part than tyres.
Except that a taller tyre will increase the trail, which can slow the steering a bit, IME.
"42"
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If you're looking for something slightly more forgiving for your son to ride (read, more compliant and comfier), then a wider profile would do that. It may also make it slightly grippier by giving a marginally larger contact patch.

Best selection I could find was here:

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=7; ... 045;page=2

Of those I'd probably go with the Schwalbes at 11.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Wider and hence heavier tyres will make the bike less wobbly because they add mass to the rotating rims of the wheels: this increases their gyroscopic effect which keeps the bike upright when moving forward.

However, the effect increases with speed and doesn't really help stability until bike and rider are reasonably underway. After that, even the narrowest and lightest tyres will have significant gyroscopic effect, so you might choose wider, heavier tyres for other reasons (like comfort) but not merely for the sake of improved stability.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

squeaker wrote:
MikeF wrote:Not sure how you define "wobbly", but bike geometry (which is more or less fixed) and rider set up plays a more important part than tyres.
Except that a taller tyre will increase the trail, which can slow the steering a bit, IME.
Hence why I said "more or less fixed". It will alter it slightly, but will it be noticeable? You could also try different size tyres front and back to alter trail very slightly as well.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Roadster wrote:Wider and hence heavier tyres will make the bike less wobbly because they add mass to the rotating rims of the wheels: this increases their gyroscopic effect which keeps the bike upright when moving forward.

However, the effect increases with speed and doesn't really help stability until bike and rider are reasonably underway. After that, even the narrowest and lightest tyres will have significant gyroscopic effect, so you might choose wider, heavier tyres for other reasons (like comfort) but not merely for the sake of improved stability.

Yeah, Its a well-known fact that the gyroscopic effect of a wheel weighing a few pounds will balance a child on something about an inch wide......
...oh, hang on a minute......
stujoed

Post by stujoed »

Bought the bike and he has been out on it on local tennis courts and he was absolutely fine.

Thanks for help and advice.

Sure I will be back with further questions when something goes wrong!
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

531colin wrote:
Roadster wrote:Wider and hence heavier tyres will make the bike less wobbly because they add mass to the rotating rims of the wheels: this increases their gyroscopic effect which keeps the bike upright when moving forward.

Yeah, Its a well-known fact that the gyroscopic effect of a wheel weighing a few pounds will balance a child on something about an inch wide......
...oh, hang on a minute......

Oh, but hang on another minute...
I didn't actually say that the greater gyroscopic effect would make the child less wobbly. I said that it would make the bike less wobbly.