Do you get water inside your BB space.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Barry and Janet wil

Do you get water inside your BB space.

Post by Barry and Janet wil »

I have a carbon frame with internal cables and notice that water enters via the front derailleur's cable hole just above the BB. Only a table spoons worth but it means the cable sits in water and rusts. I have an access panel on the downtube so can see inside clearly. I'm going to fill hole and cable guide with grease but wondered what others do.

Barry.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my HTC One M9 using hovercraft full of eels.
Valbrona

Re: Do you get water inside your BB space.

Post by Valbrona »

Usually water gets in between the seatpost and seat tube. You would think carbon paste/carbo-grip would sort this.

Shimano do little rubber grommits - two types I believe - for where electronic cables exit. Maybe they might also work for cables?
I should coco.
Barry and Janet wil

Thanks I'll make enquiries.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my HTC One M9 using hovercraft full of eels.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Barry and Janet wil wrote:I have a carbon frame with internal cables and notice that water enters via the front derailleur's cable hole just above the BB. Only a table spoons worth but it means the cable sits in water and rusts. I have an access panel on the downtube so can see inside clearly. I'm going to fill hole and cable guide with grease but wondered what others do.

Barry.

Use a thicker pvc sleeve (Maplin sells lots of sizes) and seal it with some silicone
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Debs

Post by Debs »

Is the bike in question a Trek?

I ask because just before a recent purchase of a Silkie SLR-6 [ a Domane for women - and highly recommended IMO ] i noted the rather big cable run hole in front of the bottom bracket and mentioned it to the store bike technician - who said not to worry the bottom bracket itself is well protected by a strong plastic sleeve inside so any wet or muck that goes up there won't do any harm.

But personally i really don't like the way they're left it open like that, although i should point out that after a couple of months of ownership and 1100 miles it's the only little niggle i have with the bike.

I'm not a fair whether rider although can pick my days and avoid the worst of it and my ride includes roads that can puddle up, have farmers tractor mud, cow muck, horse manure [good for the roses apparently] and to top it all i have OCD [ obsessive cycle detailing ] which is lucky if you keep the bike indoors and like to admire it in all it's cleanliness - and for inspiration for the next ride.

So i simply stick a small square of 'Duck Tape' over the offending orifice :)

Barry and Janet wil

Its a De Rosa Debs and the cables always remain hidden inside. I don't have a drain hole (yet), it looks as though you do even if you cover the large hole. Thanks for amusing but still informative reply.