Continental Grand Prix 28-406 Tyres ...... where?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Continental Grand Prix 28-406 Tyres ...... where?

Post by Mick F »

I'd like a pair of Conti GP 28-406 tyres.
Maybe if I could find them, I'd buy two pairs!

Main hits on Google are:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cont ... -prod78421
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-small ... -18-28406/

The dates for them getting in stock keep moving right, so I emailed Conti.
Mick F wrote:I’ve been trying for weeks to buy a pair of Continental Grand Prix tyres for my Moulton in 28-406 size.
None of the usual UK suppliers seem to have any in stock.
Is there anywhere in UK that have these tyres?
Is the hold-up in the supply chain?
Conti wrote:Hi Mick
We no longer have the gp 28-406 in stock in the UK, it will become available again in 2018.
At present the only tyre we do in this size is the sport contact 2

Any ideas?
Is there anywhere anywhere that has them?
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Re: Continental Grand Prix 28-406 Tyres ...... where?

Post by Brucey »

an alternative might be Schwalbe pro-ones in 28x406. Unfortunately they are tubeless, but ACycles have them in stock. Bike 24.de have quite a few schwalbes in that size and seem a bit cheaper too.

West country recumbents list the standard Schwalbe One in 28 x406 too; might be you best bet?

maybe you could try something different?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I bought two of the Conti GPs and wore the rear one out.
I then bought a pair of Conti Sport Contacts - but they aren't as good as the GPs.

Since then, I've fitted the good GP on the front, and left the SC on the rear. This seems to work ok.
The SC on the rear is beginning to wear, so in time, I'll fit the other one as a replacement. Meanwhile as the front is lightly loaded, the front GP is doing very well indeed.

The bike came with Schwalbe Duranos and they are horrible and "wooden" in the extreme. They'll do at a pinch as a temporary replacement, but I am doubtful about Schwalbe generally because of the Duranos.

Rolls Royce is the Conti GP .......... but not available.

Is there anything as good out there and available?
Is the Schwalbe One as good?
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the Durano is a training tyre with (relatively speaking) lots of puncture protection. The 'One' is a replacement for the Ultremo; these are Schwalbe's lightest and fastest tyres.

Really the question is whether they are strong enough for your use and whether they will suffer carcass damage before they wear out, not whether they will be fast enough.

In larger wheeled sizes (eg 25-622) they seem prone to picking up flints in the rear wheel where I am, and this can damage the carcass as well as give you punctures. But they are fine as a summer tyre, and comfy in 28mm size.

Given that they wear out so much faster in the 20" size, I'd expect you to wear them out rather than wreck them, but there is only one way to find out.

BTW your Duranos may have been slow originally because they were new and the rubber was still soft. One no-cost option is (if you didn't chuck them out) to fit a durano at the rear; if the rubber has hardened up in the meantime (which often happens) you might find it OK to use now.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wisdom and knowledge as usual.
Thanks.

I still have the Duranos despite putting them up for sale on here .................. and nobody replied to the advert. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
mig

Post by mig »

my summer bike is shod with some old ultremos (700 x23c). they do look and feel flimsy and i didn't hold out much hope for them initially. however after maybe four summers of use and some 8000 miles there isn't a single nick in either tyre. now they do only get used in the dry but that's pretty impressive. if the schwalbe one is an improved version...well....i'd give them a crack in 406 size and gi' em some welly.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

The Schwalbe One is a comfortable, fast, and fairly puncture-resistant tyre in my experience. I get some cuts but fewer than with comparable tyres I’ve tried. However, the chafer slowly unravels one thread at a time throughout the life of the tyre. Not a real problem.

There is a real problem though: wet grip. It’s dire. I’m pretty terrified of barrelling into wet corners on them.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

I'm still happy with the £12 Conti Sportcontact II 28-406 on my TSR. Have 2 pairs in 'stock'. 3515 miles so far, no punctures, a few insignificant small cuts, no concerns about grip, wet or dry or comfort. But I'm a conservative cyclist (very small c) with regard speed (don't care, never in a rush) and am much happier climbing rain drenched Welsh mountain roads than descending for thrills.

But I honestly/really don't think I'm that sensitive to subtle tyre 'quality' differences :?

Briefly tried the 28-406 Conti GPs when they were available at CRC for £17 each. Sold them on as I 'felt/thought' they were thin and flimsy - but mostly because I couldn't stand the vulgar overly large (for one's other very real sensitivities) glaring product labels :roll:

Funny old world full of lots of crazy cyclists :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
AM7

Post by AM7 »

Panaracer Minits Lites get pretty good reviews by some Moultoneers as a potential alternative to GP's, and it appears that SJS now stock them. I've not tried them myself though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

andrew_s wrote:some places to try:
Terrific!
Thanks, food for thought.

AM7 wrote:Panaracer Minits Lites get pretty good reviews by some Moultoneers as a potential alternative to GP's, and it appears that SJS now stock them. I've not tried them myself though.
Bit wide at 32mm.
28mm is perfect to fit under the mudguards and past the brakes to remove a wheel.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-20-40 ... =panaracer
Mick F. Cornwall
AM7

Post by AM7 »

Mick F wrote:
AM7 wrote:Panaracer Minits Lites get pretty good reviews by some Moultoneers as a potential alternative to GP's, and it appears that SJS now stock them. I've not tried them myself though.
Bit wide at 32mm.
28mm is perfect to fit under the mudguards and past the brakes to remove a wheel.

I believe they come up small - around 28mm
fossala

Post by fossala »

Mick F wrote:28mm is perfect to fit under the mudguards and past the brakes to remove a wheel.

Bit different as running 369. But I can fit 32c kojak or bridgestone tyres under 57mm drop brakes with AM mudguards (that are the same width as the TSR's). A bit less clearance than I had on the TSR but I've never had road debris caught in them yet.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Mick,

The Minits Lite is fine on a Moulton TSR, same size as a Durano. I have a folding Minits Lite PT (virtually unused e.g. 10 miles) and a wired Conti GP (maybe 150 miles on it). Both unpunctured. £21 the pair incl P&P.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just measured.

I have Shimano brakes on my TSR now and removed the awful bendy Tekro ones. The Shimano callipers open via their QRs ok, though not far, but luckily the Tetro brake levers have a QR button like Campag, so by using both, I can get the callipers wide enough to get the 28mm tyres past them.
(got rid of the Tiagra STIs yonks ago as I hated them)

The Conti GP on the front is bang on 28mm, but the Conti SC on the rear is 29.5mm wide despite being an ostensibly 28mm tyre.
The GP passes the front calliper easily, but the SC only just squeezes out of the rear.
Also, I reckon that 30mm is absolute the maximum that will go under the mudguards, especially the front.

Therefore, a 32mm tyre is a no-no.
I'd be grateful if you could measure them in the real world to confirm the width.
Mick F. Cornwall