carbon frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
spider2106

carbon frame

Post by spider2106 »

I am trying to source a 60cm road carbon frame with a horizontal top tube I have been on quite a few websites without success.
Gattonero

Re: carbon frame

Post by Gattonero »

if money is not a problem, Crumpton makes some of the finest frames 8)

IIRC, some De Rosa had horizontal TT, also Colnago
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
spider2106

Post by spider2106 »

I said horizontal top tube but I meant I would'nt mind a slightly more compact frame as long as the seat tube is still 60cm.
I don't want to spend a fortune,I have looked on ebay and there are some Chinese frames at fairly cheap prices, but are they anygood?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

spider2106 wrote:...
I don't want to spend a fortune,I have looked on ebay and there are some Chinese frames at fairly cheap prices...

Sorry, I can't help there.

Any reason why it "must" be carbon?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
spider2106

Post by spider2106 »

looking on ebay the Chinese carbon frame offers a choice of weaves ie 3k;UD; OR 12k.
What does that mean please?
spider2106

Post by spider2106 »

I recent bought a BMC alloy /105 road (60cm) in Evans sale, I am so pleased with it made me realise that my 'best ' titaniam bike, is to small at

56cm, I cant afford to replace it with another tit frame so was looking to selling the tit frame, tit seat post ,tit h/bar stem and carbon/carbon

forks and use the money to buy a 60cm frame, carbon seems to be the best answer? but any suggestions welcome.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

UD is probably unidirectional, the k number is the number of threads in a bundle. So if woven, 12k would have wider grids (more like a chessboard) and 3k would be finer, smaller grids.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Basic CF choices/construction here
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

There is more to frame sizing than the seat tube length.

Best to consider the reach and stack. (that is horizontal and vertical distance between the bottom bracket and the top of the head tube.

Similarly more to it than the material the frame is made of.
willcee

Post by willcee »

fwiw I wouldn't consider a cheap carbon esp if its from the chinese block, yes they make some for some of the big outfits BUT they can be like being astride a 6 bar gate. harsh esp on other than glass smooth tarmac.. you won't have the smooth titanium ride, matter of fact having owned a swiss BMC for some months a year or 2 ago it was one of the best alloys i ever cycled.. if you try some of the parallel TT italians they too are very very race focused..its very much like the supercar or even racecar world. most of us drive, some are spirited drivers, consider whether you would really fancy commuting or daily driving in a very focused sports car, its tiring, can be harsh and needs every second of concentration is that really what you want out of any road bike more especially if you don't ever race, other than that if you are a racer can you afford to crash a good carbon where what you need afterwards can be a dust pan and broom.. horses for courses..EQUO NE CREDITE.. will