SPA CYCLES STEEL TOURING FRAMES

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: SPA CYCLES STEEL TOURING FRAMES

Post by Brucey »

irc wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I tend to leave the bike in low front high rear to release tension on cables when the it's stood for any length of time.

Thread drift but ............. can static tension in a cable, presumably well below max tension when bike is used have any effect on cable life?

unlikely, except under weird corrosion conditions. The static stresses are very small (in relation to the static breaking stress of the cable). Old hands operate on the principle that it might not do any good but it won't do any harm and (decades ago) the springs in mechs might not be well tempered, and might weaken over time. I don't think this is a legitimate concern these days, unless the springs are complete rubbish.

As for cable breakages I can't remember my last one. Assuming any obviously frayed or old worn cables are replaced it must be minimal. I'm not even carrying any spare cables on my tour this year where I'll be several days away from a bike shop at times.

It is thought that the repeated flexing is the thing that kills them; comparing the design of bicycle cables with those of wire rope in industrial machines with known (good) fatigue performance, the radius of curvature of the pulleys (sheaves) is way too small on bicycle systems, and there is something less than clever going on at most of the pinch bolts, too. Estimates of fatigue life of the cables is from tens to low hundreds of thousands of repetitions before failure.

One of my chums has a flattish commute and he makes lots of (needless) shifts; he has counted them and over a six month period it is in the region of 130000 shifts, at which point several brands of cable (stainless polished) are liable to failure. Weirdly (for him) this invariably happens inside the shifter, rather than at the pinch bolt, even though the cable is flexed in an evil way at the pinch bolt.

Thinking about this, it occurs to me that the cable near the rear mech pinch bolt is under almost constant tension (from the rear mech spring), whereas the cable inside an STI shifter goes to much higher tension (higher than the rear mech sees, due to cable friction...) eg when downshifting and then sees full slack conditions and sudden tension loads as the spool releases on its ratchet. It may be the combination of flexing and (suddenly) varying tension load that causes the (fatigue) damage to the cable inside the shifter.

This is different from the conditions that are seen in other shifters; flat bar STIs have much larger cable spools, thumbshifters, DT and bar end shifters see less violent variations in cable tension, and (old school) Campag ergos may see less violent variations in cable tension. With the possible exception of the Ergos (which have always had different shift ratio that is kinder to the cable, tension-variation-wise) the leverage is highest over the cable in an STI, by far.

My record for 'short cable life' for me is zero miles; on a STI-based system where there was no barrel adjuster for the front mech, I had to reclamp the cable at the pinch bolt several times. It didn't even survive that without starting to fray....

Brake cable setups are well-thought-out in most systems; the nipple is anchored in a freely-pivoting receptacle and the pinch bolt is free to swivel under load. Brake cable breakage is rare these days in such systems.

I didn't use to worry about cable failure until I realised that one broken strand could spoil the party so badly; a few times I've had to peel back one strand (and cut it in an exposed cable run) in order to keep a bike working, but gear cables have so few strands that every one is larger proportion of the whole. For the weight of the thing, carrying a spare gear cable on tour is (IMHO) a wise thing to do.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Old hands operate on the principle that it might not do any good but it won't do any harm

That's my take on it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

on the subject of possibly high cable tensions using STI shifters: I recently re-cabled a friend's space-frame Moulton and (for aesthetic reasons at the behest of the bike's owner) I used a particular type of cable that was only available in 5mm dia gear outer. To my annoyance I had use some of the original type of flimsy thin-walled metal ferrules (about 5.25mm OD), because the cable stops wouldn't all accept the thicker-walled ones I'd prefer to use which were ~5.5mm OD.

The housing ends were ground square, I gave the cables a pretty good tug to help settle the ferrules, and road-tested the machine, but even so it wasn't enough; after a day or two the gears went out of adjustment. I can only assume that the ferrules settled and that this may have been caused by higher tensions during shifting; higher than I'd managed during road test and higher than I'd caused by tugging on the freshly installed cables in the usual way.

BTW to re-cable a separable moulton of this type, with derailleur gears, you need seven inner cables, eight (or ten with some installs) separate sections of outer cable, and at least fifteen ferrules. :shock: :shock: It takes a while to do...

cheers
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Good point about carrying a spare gear cable brucey. I well remember heading for a fixed time train fully loaded when the front mech cable went. Some serious spinning ensued. I do worry about your pal counting shifts. Apart from mental health concerns it sounds like a serious distraction from traffic observation.
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Sweep wrote:... I do worry about your pal counting shifts. Apart from mental health concerns it sounds like a serious distraction from traffic observation.

don't worry! -he only did it (one each way) when he realised that he wasn't getting a rear mech cable to last more than nine months noway-nohow... and blissfully, he gets to ride over ten miles each way on a traffic free, smooth tarmac path... so there isn't much in the way of traffic to contend with.

cheers
PH

Post by PH »

Brucey wrote:For the weight of the thing, carrying a spare gear cable on tour is (IMHO) a wise thing to do.
cheers

My only gear cable failure was inside an ergo and I couldn't get it out, first twenty miles of a hilly audax, game over.
I have since carried a downtube friction lever with enough cable to use on the rear. I haven't used it in anger, but a practice demonstrated I could swap it out in less time than I can fix a puncture.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

PeterBL wrote:Back to topic, does anyone here have an idea when we might see the Steel Tourer Disc frame from Spa in retail?

Hopefully we are on the final prototype, which means it might be mid next year.
How much of a load and how big a tyre are you looking for?
This one....
...is a stable clubman's winter/commuter type of bike, and should be ready earlier. Those will be 32mm tyres, and theres room for 35mm. Rack mounts both ends, suitable for lightweight camping and reasonable surfaces.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I've got Sram shifters (sti equiv) on all of my bikes, as does my partner not had any problems with gear cables in the shifters at all. One bike is 4 years old and has around 22,000 miles on it, another is two years old and has 10,000 not my partners bike is 6 years old and has just under 9,000 miles on it. The only bike to have new cables is my partners (Her bike is actually my old bike and I fitted new cables this year when she decided to start riding it). All have/had the original Sram/Gore cables.

Not sure if the above is unusual (maybe I've not done enough miles on any one bike), or if the Sram shift mechanism is kinder in some way?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gloomyandy wrote: Not sure if the above is unusual (maybe I've not done enough miles on any one bike), or if the Sram shift mechanism is kinder in some way?

it might be; I've not compared the spool size but longer cable pull may mean larger spool, it certainly means lower base cable tension, all things being equal.

cheers
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

531colin wrote:
PeterBL wrote:Back to topic, does anyone here have an idea when we might see the Steel Tourer Disc frame from Spa in retail?

This one....
...is a stable clubman's winter/commuter type of bike, and should be ready earlier. Those will be 32mm tyres, and theres room for 35mm. Rack mounts both ends, suitable for lightweight camping and reasonable surfaces.

Looks nice too, but I am looking for minimum 37mm tyres with mudguards. The load doesn't have to be big, but rack mounts both front and back are a must.

I'm in no hurry, so currently I'm waiting to see what is coming out for 2018 from the different companies.

Thanks for your reply!
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:Regarding cassettes,the main problem is the 11tooth starting point,something which TBH I find bonkers,13t is small enough for the vast majority of cyclists and 14t better still and make for a closer set of ratios if desired and still have some big cogs at the bottom end without yawning gaps between.

I hope it won't drive you into a fit of rage & pushing me off if you see me going along Slag Lane on my Kona with a 10T top! :shock: :wink: (I've taken to riding down to Newton-le-Willows station to get the train to Chester rather than doing a 2 hop trip from Wigan these days).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Regarding cassettes,the main problem is the 11tooth starting point,something which TBH I find bonkers,13t is small enough for the vast majority of cyclists and 14t better still and make for a closer set of ratios if desired and still have some big cogs at the bottom end without yawning gaps between.

I hope it won't drive you into a fit of rage & pushing me off if you see me going along Slag Lane on my Kona with a 10T top! :shock: :wink: (I've taken to riding down to Newton-le-Willows station to get the train to Chester rather than doing a 2 hop trip from Wigan these days).

I'll keep my eye open for you... ....and give you a friendly wave :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

At least you know what that whirring blur you see periodically is now :D
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

531colin wrote:

This one....

How does the material/construction and resultant stiffness of the disc fork compare to the non disc one?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Well i'm back off to Cornwall at 0200hrs Saturday morning to spend the next 10 days riding my superb SPA Steel Touring early mornings ....
And spending the rest of the day as pack mule / bank / provider, to my wife, my daughter and our 3 grandchildren .... and my son John and his other half Zac .... well to be fair Zac will assist ... top chap...
Which is a fair exchange for escaping for 3 hours on my bike each morning ....before the rain starts .. :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.