Quick advice for removing bottom bracket pls - [Sorted]

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Quick advice for removing bottom bracket pls

Postby Brucey » 15 Sep 2017, 11:05am

if you get to ~400ft/lbs the 1/2" drive adaptor may shear off. Also some 3/4" drive T bars will bend if you swing hard using a pole extension. Be warned, if you use any kind of impact with some BB tools, they may shatter; they are not impact-rated, and some are strong but brittle.

I've had good results using a genuine shimano tool and the matching 3/4" drive socket (a 36mm one IIRC). I'd be a bit suspicious of one that only has 22mm hexagon on it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Russell160

Postby Russell160 » 28 Sep 2017, 5:31pm

Any news? I have a similar problem...

Some thoughts:
-I see you are attempting it with the wheels still in the frame: this will tend to dissipate the force through the tyres etc. Try the bench vice/use frame as lever technique or at least remove wheels and sit the frame on the floor then stand on tools.
-there is merit I think in using lubes. Little and often, patience is the key. On advice I recently loosened some 100 plus year old brass/coppper taps just by drizzling some 3 in 1 oil every night and trying it every three days or so. The worst took about three weeks before it yielded. A light oil is key, molecule size and all that. YOu could get to the inside of the thread through the other side of course, or just running some down inside the seat post.
-bit of a long shot, but I had an Allez 2008 and it had external bearings: is it possible someone might have fitted a cartridge by mistake and mashed up the threads? I don't know enough about this aspect....It does seem a riddle that a recent bike should be so stubborn...
-AS others have said, a hot kettle poured all over the shell before going for the heave hoh does seem to help.
-Last resort, try LBS. As Brucey says it is a matter of death or glory/professional pride for a good mechanic to get BBs out.

NoIdea

Postby NoIdea » 27 Nov 2017, 4:04pm

Russell160 wrote:Any news? I have a similar problem...

Hi Russell

Sorry for not coming back to you, just been distracted with motorcycles. :D
Very soon I'm coming back to this again, I'm going to go with an air impact gun. I know I've been warned against this but I believe in impact wrenches so I'll try that next. I'll turn up the force gradually though.
My thinking is it'll either work or it'll destroy the tool, in which case I'll get a Shimano one and try again with a 3/4" drive... or I'll simple palm the job off on my LBS who will no doubt be able to sort this. :mrgreen:
2006 Specialized Allez Sport 18 speed with various upgrades.

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 27 Nov 2017, 4:48pm

slowster wrote:I use a ratchet handle with a 4' length of pipe over the handle as an extension to remove Campag bottom brackets, but they have never been seized in the frame.
Don't do that as you will break or wreck the ratchet. Ratchets aren't meant for that use. Use a T bar or something else suitable.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

slowster

Postby slowster » 27 Nov 2017, 5:00pm

Don't do that as you will break or wreck the ratchet. Ratchets aren't meant for that use. Use a T bar or something else suitable.

You are quite right. I didn't have a breaker bar or similar when I last did it, but I will get one when I next do it. Thank you for the warning.

Colin_P

Postby Colin_P » 27 Nov 2017, 10:43pm

I've not read the whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned; but if you have one or access to one, holding the socket tightly in a bench vice and rotating the frame to and fro can be the easiest way.

The bench will need to be bolted to the floor if the BB is really tight.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 1 Dec 2017, 12:57pm

My experiences (mainly with campag square-taper, but recently replaced campag square taper with shimano, so I've seen most of the tools available!):

- I've done this job quite a few times over the years without tooo much stress - recent experience was horrendous. There was noticeable water in the BB shell, not sure how long ago it got in there. A lesson learned??
- Always left my wheels on. I haven't found this to be a disadvantage, and it saves minor damage.
- Heat: this was the first one (in a decade+) where a big lever wasn't enough. Bottom bracket sheel is unpainted Ti on this bike, so I tried wafting a 50p cigarette lighter underneath the shell. This did seem to be the key that finally opened the puzzle on this occasion. (how does this 'freeze' stuff work? :/ )
- I held the campag tool (which is nice and small) on with a QR-lever through the hollow axle. Good simple arrangement.
- I have the same big shimano tool pictured up-thread, came with a general bike tool-kit (from Aldi). As posted above, it's far from ideal - your turning force is a looong way from the splines holding onto the BB shell. And the splines only engage to a tiny distance. I would not like to remove an obstinate BB with this.
- I used to have "screw-in" tool - like the Park tool posted earlier - which worked very well, but I suspect a friend has it! <grrr>

- Appreciate the links above to correct M8 bolts - think I will buy a couple, seems like a good way to hold the cheap tool in place.
---- However; I think it might be good to use something compressible e.g. rubber washer? Because loosening the BB will be fighting agaisnt your lock-nut otherwise. I haven't tried this yet!

- If anyone wants a "rule" to remember which side is clockwise etc ... I suggest that you always stand on the wrench handle with the end towards your handlebars when undoing. This works with the drive-side and NDS. Others will prefer to apply thread handedness rules (which of course requires you to be utterly convinced that NDS is RH-thread, and DS is LH-thread :) )

NoIdea

Postby NoIdea » 15 Dec 2017, 2:00pm

I first decided that I wouldn't bother using a rattle gun as it was taking too much effort/time to arrange. I was instead going to mount my hefty bench vice to a heavy trailer and do it that way... but by chance I happened to be walking past my LBS and decided to pop in for a chat.
There was talk of using a special adaptor he'd had made that allows him to use him Campagnolo tool with a 4 ft pole.... and so I ask him to give it go instead. :oops:
£10 later the little fella is out.
Just need to clean up the threads and choose a new BB.
I'm impressed how clean the threads are though, I was expecting it to make a right mess of them.
Bloke said he literally had to jump on the 4ft bar to crack it. :lol:
2006 Specialized Allez Sport 18 speed with various upgrades.

gaz

Re: Quick advice for removing bottom bracket pls - [Sorted]

Postby gaz » 15 Dec 2017, 6:44pm

Well done that LBS man, but of course you'd loosened it for him by then :wink: .
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Quick advice for removing bottom bracket pls - [Sorted]

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 22 Dec 2017, 12:12am

Hi,
Thread that big on a car etc would need a 20 foot pole.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..