1x11?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Gattonero

Re: 1x11?

Post by Gattonero »

rjb wrote:Looks like the irish Aqua Blue pro team have been following this thread. :twisted:

I x 11 team bikes for the pro peloton next season.
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/229605 ... -aqua-blue

:shock: :? :shock: :? :shock:

A very ugly bike.
In fact, such a short rear triangle won't work well with a double chainset. And it looks very low-geared, failing right in the discipline it should do better: Crit racing.

And funny enough, more than one Pro Team is using threaded bottom brackets now 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:................ but that's the point.
If all you have is a single ring with your cassette, you need to pick the ratios carefully. There's no point in having wasted unused sprockets.

Or yawning gaps between ratios.
11sp offers only two more ratios than 9sp,1x 11sp offers a LOT less than 3x9sp and a narrower chain with horrid chainlines to boot :?
Yep.
No use at all for the average mortal cyclist.
Mick F. Cornwall
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Si wrote:
irc wrote:

The video is 15m long. Can you summarise what the conclusion is?

changes gear when back pedalling in lowest gear

More friction due to extreme chain lines..(.although he doesnt say how much.)

Reduction of gear range ( mostly an issue for mtbs ?)

And iirc , bigger jumps between ratios.....but i could have imagined that one

I have two mountain bikes with a 1 X 11 setup and they don't change gear when pedalling backwards in the lowest gear.

Yes there will be more friction when extreme chain lines although it is more noticeable in the lowest gear.

Reduction of gear range isn't too bad as I'm not carrying camping gear etc (I'm only carrying myself!).

On the left hand handlebars where the front shifter would be, I have a dropper post selector. (this might not be required but is really useful when tackling drop offs).

Now did I mention the new SRAM GX eagle is out now, you can have a 1 X 12..... 10-50 cassette now we're talking. :twisted:
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

hjd10 wrote:Now did I mention the new SRAM GX eagle is out now, you can have a 1 X 12..... 10-50 cassette now we're talking. :twisted:

11-50 in 1 x 13 guise??

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ign=buffer
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC years ago someone commented that shimano had patents on cassettes up to x14. It might be higher than that now.

FWIW a 2x6 transmission gives ten gears and never requires that the chain runs more than about 12mm or so offline. A 1x13 transmission requires that the chain is run ~24mm offline in the high and low gears. If the gear range on a 1x13 system is set sensibly for road use, you'll be tapping along on the flat in a gear that requires 12 or 16mm offset, most of the time.

If the rear end of the bike is offset (for wheel strength) then I estimate that the chainline will be at least 50mm.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I suppose this doesn't matter really.
Chainline or even a silly little 10t cog. It will all wear very quickly.

Does it REALLY matter in this throwaway day and age?
Do people actually care?

I do, because I'm an old-fashioned post-war baby.
Will Generation Z care?
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:I suppose this doesn't matter really.
Chainline or even a silly little 10t cog. It will all wear very quickly.

Does it REALLY matter in this throwaway day and age?
Do people actually care?

I do, because I'm an old-fashioned post-war baby.
Will Generation Z care?

You're right. I know of a bloke who regularly rides a Mercian from the mid-80s. Shocking in this day and age! :D
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Redvee wrote:
hjd10 wrote:Now did I mention the new SRAM GX eagle is out now, you can have a 1 X 12..... 10-50 cassette now we're talking. :twisted:

11-50 in 1 x 13 guise??

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ign=buffer

Haha, always pushing the limits. I guess it depends on what you want to use your bike for. For mountain biking where I might do say 20 miles or so on a ride, I'm not to bothered if the components wear more quickly as the bike is for occasional use only. This wouldn't be the case for my road bike however.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bonefishblues wrote:You're right. I know of a bloke who regularly rides a Mercian from the mid-80s. Shocking in this day and age! :D
Silly old codger, whoever he is! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:IIRC years ago someone commented that shimano had patents on cassettes up to x14. It might be higher than that now.

FWIW a 2x6 transmission gives ten gears and never requires that the chain runs more than about 12mm or so offline. A 1x13 transmission requires that the chain is run ~24mm offline in the high and low gears. If the gear range on a 1x13 system is set sensibly for road use, you'll be tapping along on the flat in a gear that requires 12 or 16mm offset, most of the time.

If the rear end of the bike is offset (for wheel strength) then I estimate that the chainline will be at least 50mm.

cheers

A thought just occured,running such bad chainlines will cause a great deal of side slop in the chain which will lead to bad shifting PDQ,which will lead to the need for electronic shifting that over compensates then automatically realigns deraileur to sprockets :shock:
Not daft these marketeeers.
The consumers OTOH :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

So if there's no front shifter, could the chain ring float laterally on the BB axle? ... Would chain tension drag it to the shortest point opposite the cassette sprocket in use?

More to the point, under what name would Shimano market it?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

All my bikes .. SPA, TREK and BTwin have 1 x 9 set ups.
As long as your chainrings have no ramps or pins the chain stays firmly on the teeth.
My only whinge with the 1x? setup is the lack of choice of cog sizes.
My SPA has an 11 - 32 cassette but what i actually want is a 14 - 34 (or 36) cassette.
(feel free to point me in the right direction)
My SPA has a single chainset machined from a double by SPA and is the best of all of them.
I have ridden a 1x5, 1x7 and now 1x9 for over 35 years and have never missed the plethora of gears offered by doubles and triples.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rjb

Post by rjb »

1x11 it's so last year. Looks like SRAM is coming with a 1x12 with electronic shifting shortly.
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/237568 ... oming-year :mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

What is it with one chain ring? Why? have people lost the use of the fingers on their left hands? Can they no longer afford a front mech? Are they too new to cycling to get their heads around two mechs and how to use them? I can understand wanting more sprockets, especially if you don't understand or accept the alleged downsides, but why no second ring? I speak as someone who, as a lad in the 70s, aspired to a second ring like the kid down the road had.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

The cost of the cassettes puts me off, not to mention how daft they look! Makes sense on full suss where it means that the effect of the chain on anti/squat is consistent. Personally I like being able to drop to the granny in quarter of a pedal stroke when I round an unfamiliar corner and find myself looking up at a veritable wall of a climb!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.