Genesis equilibrium disc frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sirmy

Genesis equilibrium disc frame

Post by sirmy »

Any one knows ow if this frame can take rim brakes, it looks to have holes in the right places
Brucey

Re: Genesis equilibrium disc frame

Post by Brucey »

best to ask Genesis...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

That would probably take weeks and it's just a musing before I start the pick out bits for a new bike.

Was really wondering how long will it be before rim brakes go the way of cantis, especially if the become race legal on the road
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

sirmy wrote:That would probably take weeks and it's just a musing before I start the pick out bits for a new bike.

it could take as long as it takes someone (you) to pick up the phone or type an e-mail. You won't find out unless you try.

Was really wondering how long will it be before rim brakes go the way of cantis, especially if the become race legal on the road

erm, cantis are rim brakes, last time I checked. Reports of their demise are greatly exaggerated; manufacturers continue to launch new models and (for example) SJS currently stock more canti models (despite some notable omissions) than they do V-brakes. And they stock about twice as many different rim brakes (of all kinds) as disc brakes.

Disc brakes have been 'legal in the peloton' for a while (on and off) and it remains to be seen if they are to become a standard feature or not. I get the distinct impression that most pro riders (in the absence of vested interests) are either against them or are ambivalent about them. I can think of pros and cons for use in the peloton, and amateurs will for the most part ape the pros (for good or ill).

From a typical road-bike buyer's perspective it is arguably the case that disc brakes are an expensive way of making your bicycle heavier, less comfortable, less aerodynamic and more difficult to repair, all in return for improved wet weather braking (maybe; the tyres won't grip any better...) and one or two other things, again maybe.

Given that most folk who buy road bikes don't intend to ride in the rain (ever) if they can help it, I'm struggling to see the compelling reason to buy them.... :shock:

Touring bikes are different kettle of fish; arguably there are more advantages and the disadvantages are (for various reasons) probably less important.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I emailed Genesis last week and got an answer the same day.
I have the normal rim braked frame.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

sirmy wrote:Any one knows ow if this frame can take rim brakes, it looks to have holes in the right places

Gut reaction is the holes are for mudguards/ dynamo lights and might not be engineered for brakes strength or drop wise. As others have said, Genesis is probably your only outlet for a proper answer.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....