cable variations and identification

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

time was, when there was only one type of gear cable you would likely need; it would have a different nipple each end and you would cut off the one you wouldn't need. Galvanised, of course... happy days!

Now, there's a gazillion different types of cable and it is good to know what comes out of bike if it has failed in particular way. I have long thought of having a gazetter of different cable markings and types so that one would be able to react accordingly.

Here's a start

from http://www.cyclecube.com/?p=19164

from top to bottom;
1. stainless (manufacturer unknown but it may be shimano)
2. Latest shimano 'optislick' cable
3. Sil-Tec (PTFE) cable
4. Ultegra cable
5. Dura-Ace cable

latest type of 'optislick' cable has a dark green coloured coating on it. Unlike the brown coating that has been used prior to that, used cables are coming out of bikes with little sign of the coating coming off in use.

Anyone else got any photos of marked cable nipples, or any info about cable construction/appearance?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: cable variations and identification

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Clarks st stl gear inner marked with a "C", some one else will post a pic if I cant get round to it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Pretty sure i have some down tube cables which had a hexagonal nipple. ill have a rummage tomorrow. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

The new Shimano polymer coated shift cables that look like they have a filament wound around them have a short life before they break. I think it's because, in multistrand wire cables, the individual strands need to be able to slide/move relative to one another. The tightly wound filament on the outside inhibits that movement thereby concentrating stresses on a few strands.

Also, if you are lubing your cables, what good is the coating doing?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Jagwire stainless gear inners have a conventional construction and are marked 'JS' on the nipples.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~