That BB again!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bigjim

That BB again!

Post by bigjim »

Further to my LBS nightmare and him telling me he had rethreaded and chased the BB but I would have to use a BB with metal cups. I realise I have the option of purchasing a BB that fastens to itself without needing to be threaded into the BB. However I am unsure if it will work as the original threading will still be there and impede the fitting of new BB.
With that in mind I have, with a great deal of force installed a Shiman bb with metal cups. Once the cups are tight against the shell the Spindle is very stiff to turn, close to impossible. I assume because the threads have been cut too tall and the spindle housing is being squeezed. I removed the Shimano square taper BB and again with a great deal of force and grease installed an external BB. Same problem. It will hardly turn in the bike shell. Do you think I am correct about the threading?
Thanks. Jim.
Brucey

Re: That BB again!

Post by Brucey »

threadless BBs are usually a poor choice if you have an alternative. If the BB thread has been chased and a good BB is still a tight fit, I'd suggest that the LBS's BB tap could be worn so it isn't cutting an especially good thread.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

What does the LBS say? As they've said it'll take the steel BB, it seems reasonable that they'll fit one for you.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Informed him of my displeasure when I picked it up. He shrugged his shoulders. I gave them bad feedback on Yahoo for the way I was treated and the frame damage. He replied "Well you can't please everybody". I wouldn't dare leave it with him again.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

bigjim wrote:Informed him of my displeasure when I picked it up. He shrugged his shoulders. I gave them bad feedback on Yahoo for the way I was treated and the frame damage. He replied "Well you can't please everybody". I wouldn't dare leave it with him again.

If that's what happened, that is not good. Half-job that was paid in full? Ain't right.
Should have at least fished out of the scrap a used BB to compare how it would fit, in a professional workshop is a 2 minutes job.

If their tool is worn, they will have this problem happening on a constant basis, though those tools are expensive it's only by incorrect use they wear out prematurely, so what's the point on trying to do business with tooling that has been damaged and don't want to replace, and that will make a bad job that does not get sorted out? :roll:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...