BB30 to GXP

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ehelifecycle

BB30 to GXP

Post by ehelifecycle »

hi all

I have a British thread BB frame 68mm.

Currently it has BB30 "external cups" BB bearing which is paired with an appropriate chainset.

I'm after another chainset looking to buy secondhand off eBay or Gumtree... a lot of GXP chainsets come up. can I just fit this for example

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/gears-drivetrain-cables/truvativ-bottom-bracket-gxp-team-cups-english

and then get a GXP chainset?

I'm fairly certain they are interchangeable but just want to double check.

Thanks All
Gattonero

Re: BB30 to GXP

Post by Gattonero »

The cups you have at the moment are not for GXP (which is 22-24mm) but for 30mm cranks.

If you want to use a GXP chainset then yes you need the BB cups like the ones in the link
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Usually, cranksets with 30mm diameter axles do not fit into traditional/threaded BB shells. No 'proper' BB30 crankset will fit in a trad threaded BB shell, only something like a Rotor or an FSA 386 Evo crankset and which have extra-long 30mm axles will.

Are you sure your existing crankest has a 30mm diameter axle?

All said, a trad threaded BB shell is a nicer home for a GXP 24mm axle crankset than a crankset with a 30mm axle.
I should coco.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

Currently it has BB30 "external cups" BB

Are you saying that your BB30 pressfit bottom bracket shell has had a 68 mm threaded BB adapter fitted ?

Do you want to leave this adaptor in place and fit a threaded GXP BB or do you want to remove this adaptor and fit a press fit BB30 GXP BB ?

Unless you have the special tools to remove the adapter and press in the new BB then you will need to stick to the 1st option or get a bike shop to do the job.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

tim_f wrote:

Are you saying that your BB30 pressfit bottom bracket shell has had a 68 mm threaded BB adapter fitted ?

Do you want to leave this adaptor in place and fit a threaded GXP BB or do you want to remove this adaptor and fit a press fit BB30 GXP BB ?

Unless you have the special tools to remove the adapter and press in the new BB then you will need to stick to the 1st option or get a bike shop to do the job.

No, it sounds to me like he has a normal BSA threaded frame with "BSA30" threaded cups
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
ehelifecycle

Post by ehelifecycle »

Gattonero wrote:
tim_f wrote:

No, it sounds to me like he has a normal BSA threaded frame with "BSA30" threaded cups
This is what I have at the moment see picture.Image
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

that is a 68mm BB shell with BSC threads in it...? Then yes, you can unscrew those and fit a GXP BB and crankset.

I'm not sure it is a terribly good idea though; GXP BBs seem a bit pricey and not terribly durable to me.... might be OK on a summer bike...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

It will depend on your personal priorities but I would be thinking of a sealed cartridge square taper bb and suitable cranks for all recreational, leisure or touring scenarios, rather than external BBs.