Thin inner tube availability for toolkit

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Abradable Chin

Thin inner tube availability for toolkit

Post by Abradable Chin »

I keep finding myself out cycling with the wrong inner tube for the bike I'm riding.
I'd like to attach the appropriate inner tube to each bike so that I can't make the mistake. I've tried stuffing them up the seat pin, but save on one bike, they don't fit. I've seen "light" tubes for sale that are only 0.6mm thick, but they really aren't cheap. Do you reckon they are sufficiently less bulky that they could be stuffed in a seat pin? Is there a cheap source for thin tubes?
I might also try making a false bottom for my saddle, and taping a tube there, but I'd probably still want light weight tubes to do it.
Brucey

Re: Thin inner tube availability for toolkit

Post by Brucey »

suggestions;

wrap the inner tube in a plastic bag, tape it underneath the saddle. Or...

use a micro-pump bracket (that would sit alongside a bottle cage) to lash a wrapped inner tube to.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

you may find a thin plastic tube of about 20-22mm O/D in a plumbers merchants? Depends what you call cheap as you may have to buy a minimum 2m length.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I fit a spare tube into a business card box, much stronger than the OEM cardboard :)
This type of thing...available for a few pence from a printer
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Buy one smaller than you think you need. It will work perfectly and if you feel a bit precarious bung the patched original back in later. I have happily used , and forgotten, 19-23mm ones in my 30mm tyres.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I have some wide-mouthed, screw-on-topped water bottles. I put my (normal thickness) tube and repair kit in (and some other little bits and pieces which I always take out with me) - one for each bike (each has a different wheel size unfortunately). My hardware toolkit is common to all and I transfer it from bike to bike.

The up-side is that I don't need to question whether I've got the right sized tube with me. The down-side is that I forego the use of a bottle for drinks.

Since I started doing this (about 3 years ago) I haven't had the need to change a tube on the road. Perhaps this is ironic or the p******* fairy is biding his/her time to give me maximum inconvenience. It's well known that he/she has a wicked sense of humour!!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Abradable Chin wrote:I keep finding myself out cycling with the wrong inner tube for the bike I'm riding.
I'd like to attach the appropriate inner tube to each bike so that I can't make the mistake. I've tried stuffing them up the seat pin, but save on one bike, they don't fit. I've seen "light" tubes for sale that are only 0.6mm thick, but they really aren't cheap. Do you reckon they are sufficiently less bulky that they could be stuffed in a seat pin? Is there a cheap source for thin tubes?
I might also try making a false bottom for my saddle, and taping a tube there, but I'd probably still want light weight tubes to do it.

I won't recommend to stuff a tube in the seatpost, even is this was an oversized one. Too much faff to remove and too much risk can fall in the frame and stay jammed.
As people knows, I don't like to carry extra weight both on normal rides or touring, but still I need things to be practical and obviously working.
That is why I don't bother with 40-60gr of a decent saddle bag/roll is this gives me the convenience to perform a repair much faster and with less swearing.
Even a thick freezer bag does the job, paired with a toestrap: simple, cheap, effective. Just replace the freezer bag with another used one.

I usually carry Specialized Turbo or Conti Supersonic tubes, plus patches. One inner tube and enough patches are ok for me, I don't throw away an inner tube unless has become so bad that I have to patch over another patch :lol:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Gattonero wrote: .... I don't throw away an inner tube unless has become so bad that I have to patch over another patch :lol:

ooh, I dunno, patches stick better to other patches than to tubes, don't they.... :shock: .... :lol:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~