Brooks saddles - a poll

For discussions about bikes and equipment.

Your Brooks leather experience

Comfiest you can get
56%
Not that comfy but everything else is worse
4%
Tried one or more, then got something else
30%
Currently trying my first. Ouch.
1%
Currently trying my first. OK so far...
3%
Never tried, would like to
1%
Not on your life
5%

Total votes: 77

Audax67

Brooks saddles - a poll

Post by Audax67 »

How do/did you get on with Brooks?

If I missed any cases suggest them and I'll add them.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Brooks saddles - a poll

Post by Mick F »

I bought my first Brooks Team Pro in 2004, and my second in 2016.
Both bikes have them, and they were both supremely comfortable from Day One. The older one has formed very closely to my sit bones, and the newer one is beginning to. Either way, they are brilliant, and I wouldn't have any other saddle.

All bums are different, and as such, one saddle will be good for someone, but horrible for another.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have one on one bike - but I don't use that bike all that much.

It's comfy enough, but I don't like the idea of leaving the bike out in the rain with a leather saddle...
For long journey's I use a 'bent, so I'm only talking a few miles at time mostly...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Voted "now use something else". 1960s Pro is still good and still in occasional use. All my post 2000 saddles (Swift, Pro, B17) have failed (sagging, broken frame, broken nose bolt) and been binned. I now use French leather saddles by Gilles Berthoud which work for me straight from the box. Your backside/saddle compatibility may differ.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Shouldn't there be a most uncomfortable saddle I have ever used option?
Beauty will save the world.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Love all 6 of mine :D . Each one is remarkably different (and on different bikes obviously). Some were secondhand. All B17s, mostly Imperials but still have a 1980s standard chrome railed B17. Ride all year round at least 360 days a year (circa 11,000 miles) in whatever weather befalls Snowdonia. Apply Proofide irregularly to the top sides only (all bikes have mudguards) - tend to rub some in after a long ride and total soaking (after they've fully dried out of course) it semi restores the uneven staining caused by hours of rain, especially on the nose end + gives some protection against the next wet ride?

None required 'breaking in' - but after all these years, I probably am :wink:
Last edited by deliquium on 23 Aug 2017, 4:38pm, edited 3 times in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Si

Post by Si »

Tried a second hand colt that had been premolded to someone elses posterior....2nd most uncomfortable saddle ive ever tried. Would like to try a new one but oh the expense, especially as my cheapo plastic saddle seems perfectly fine for me
robgul

Post by robgul »

I'm a 4 Brooks (B17) man - all have been comfortable pretty much from new bar 1 which has about 4,000 miles on it and is still hard-ish (it has been transferred to my Brompton that doesn't get a lot of use, and then only for short trips)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Brooks Saddle? Which one?

I had an old sprung MTB Brooks saddle for about 25 years, can't remember the name. They did a male and female version. Loved it and eventually sold it with that bike as it was getting knackered (saggy due to too much neat's foot oil in early days) after 20 odd years.

Replaced it with a newer Brooks Conquest (similar sprung style) 5 years ago - I love that too. It is a big and heavy, a bit like a comfortable armchair.

Both those were mainly used for long haul cycle touring. I like leather, particularly in the sweaty tropics, no bum problems, say no more.

I recently got a new B17 for my second bike. Its hard, but seems to be slowly wearing in after nearly 1,000 kms.

Will have to think how I answer the survey, if I do. (See edit below)

One piece of advice, I wouldn't buy a new Brooks for/with a new bike. I think that getting your position just right on a new bike is always a bit of a problem (trial and error) - add to that moving around on a new Brooks trying to find the sweet spot and you may struggle to get comfortable. One at a time.

(Edit, looked again at the survey, no choice appropriate for me, I would just say I am very happy with the sprung ones, but I have never really used any other make so I can't say its better than any other. So maybe a "just happy" option)
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I've had three B17's over the years and loved them all but I don't currently have one on either of my bikes. I've been fancying one for a planned roadified MTB tourer mainly so I can hang my Carridice off it :P
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I have four bikes, all are fitted with a B17 saddle.

All was well until I managed to break TWO of them !!....I managed to snap both adjustment bolts and split both steel nose pieces.

I sent them both back to Brooks for repair and they were returned repaired and looking lovely. HOWEVER, neither of them is anywhere near as comfortable as when they were broken. I guess the leather needs to readjust to the shape of my backside on an unbroken saddle (God knows)...

So how did I break two saddles ?? No idea really, one was on a road bike and one on an off roader....I weigh 14 stone 10 pounds according to the nice nurse at the local Docs' who does my CV clinic check ups. I reckon both saddles had less than 6,000 miles on them. My gut feeling is that I listened to too many on line 'experts' who say that you should not really need to adjust the tension bolt (Cheers Sheldon) Brooks say tension needs to be addressed every six months or so.

Conclusion. Listen to Brooks....Ignore 'experts'............I'm guessing that the 'experts' will be along soon to disagree...... :mrgreen:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I'm persisting with a 'swift' on my audax cum tourer cum winter racer, honestly though I've used plenty of saddles that are/were comfier over any distance near or far. I've also had a 'Pro', that was a disappointment and a B17 was okay if not a bit wide.
My Carbon railed lightweight saddle is a bit comfier on my race bike and I've also ridden narrower saddles that are comfier straight out the box.
I'm the wrong side of 100kg btw with reasonably athletic build.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

I had one for years and thought it was marvellous. Then LEJOG - it started getting painful half way and never got any better, then or later. No obvious change in the saddle itself. Eventually sold it on ebay and got more than I'd paid for it.
Went back to a Selle Rolls which has been perfect, and apparently indestructible - as good as new after very many miles.
meic

Post by meic »

I ticked "currently trying my first-ouch" but I have only had it for 14,000 miles/5 years, so probably too early to come to any conclusion yet. :wink:
It may improve when I am broken in to it.
Yma o Hyd
Suffolker

Post by Suffolker »

I have five of various models including B17 in current use, about four lightly-used or new spares ( off departed bikes) and a box of half a dozen knackered ones. The latter are all stretched beyond the adjusting bolt capacity,after years of use.

I dress them top and bottom at the outset, and then perhaps annually. Tensioning is, I think, needed only after a lot of use, and then as little as possible. I have a B17 which has done about 2500 miles and is only now beginning to change shape.

I go to extreme lengths to keep them from getting wet.

I've tried other saddles, and don't like them. Lepper models looked OK until I had a string of broken rails,and the company was having some problems at the time, thus complicating spares.