Cotter Pin Press/Removal Tool

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DarkNewt

Cotter Pin Press/Removal Tool

Postby DarkNewt » 29 Aug 2017, 11:44am

Hi All,

trying to remove cotterpins from a raleigh all steel bicycle. I have tried the hammer, heat, wd40 lots of swearing, cursing the universe etc.. I have tried to use a g-clamp not strong enough does anyone know of anyone near the west midlands who has one that I could travel over and use?

Everything else was going comparitively easy :-)

I have even tried to drill it out, 2 x titanium bits later that's not working, I think the steel has turned to diamond I didn't think steel age hardenedI have even tried using the force... I guess it's not strong with me!

If all else fails I will be looking at cutting the crank off on one side and taking it to a machine shop to be drilled out which will be a bit drastic :-( They sure made things well in the 50's/60's it's like the cotterpin is welded into the crank/arm.

All helpful and comic replies gratefully recieved!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk

Norman H

Re: Cotter Pin Press/Removal Tool

Postby Norman H » 29 Aug 2017, 12:26pm

You may well have done all this but in the past it always worked for me:

Support the underside of the crank using a block of wood with a hole drilled in it to take the head of the cotter pin. Replace the nut and screw on enough to allow the cotter pin some free movement before the nut contacts the crank. This makes it less likely that you will bend or otherwise damage the threaded end. Use a steel bar as a drift between the pin and the hammer. This makes it less likely that you will miss with the hammer and gives you more confidence to give it a good whack.

Once it releases remove the nut and tap through with a drift.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Aug 2017, 1:34pm

from where you are now it is probably a bit late for a press...?

If you have access to welding facilities, weld a length of 3/8" bar stock to the fat end of the cotter pin. Configure the 3/8" rod to work like a slide hammer, and have at it. The chances are excellent that the heat from welding will have broken the bonds of corrosion to some extent and the cotter pin will more easily come free after a few knocks.

BTW if you are knocking the threaded end, I find it is best to use a length of thick-walled steel tube (or another old LH crank) to support the crank; this gives a better support than a piece of wood.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fausto99

Postby fausto99 » 29 Aug 2017, 1:53pm

Use a large G clamp on the nutted, threaded end of the cotter and some appropriate size sockets (from a socket set) on the other end. Wind up the clamp as hard as you can and go and have a cup of tea. The whole lot will be on the floor in pieces when you come back ;-)

Works for me every time (after an overnight soak with Plus Gas A)

DarkNewt

Postby DarkNewt » 29 Aug 2017, 3:45pm

To late for the press - I am going to get a heavier G-clamp and give it another go!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 29 Aug 2017, 4:10pm

Ah, that brings back (not so) happy memories - back in the day I hacksawed off more than one crank.

Prop the cranks up so that they are horizontal, then make a diagonal cut across the top, as close to the cotter pin as you can. Once you've got through, you can then get on the bike with the front wheel against a wall and the brakes on, and bounce on the pedals until the saw cut opens up and you can prise it off the spindle.

This is of course a technique of last resort. I was so happy when cotterless cranks became affordable. :)

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 30 Aug 2017, 11:18pm

LollyKat wrote:................. I was so happy when cotterless cranks became affordable. :)

Hoo boy! - +1 to that! :D :D :D :D :D

DarkNewt

Postby DarkNewt » 31 Aug 2017, 11:09am

I am still looking at a cotterpin removal tool if I can source one, I am also going to see if I can take it into a machine shop to see what they can do.

cromo

Postby cromo » 31 Aug 2017, 11:23am

I have in the past used a car ball joint separator to remove cotter pins e.g. Clarke CHT222, available from Machine Mart. I am not guaranteeing success with this tool in your case but it may be an option for you.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 31 Aug 2017, 1:26pm

cromo wrote:I have in the past used a car ball joint separator to remove cotter pins e.g. Clarke CHT222, available from Machine Mart. I am not guaranteeing success with this tool in your case but it may be an option for you.

good point; such tools ( I have a couple of 'Laser' branded scissor action ball-joint splitters that are virtually identical to the Clarke one) are more easily capable of exerting a much larger force than a typical G-clamp. NB you may need to have a backing piece behind the crank, depending on the spacing of the fork in a scissor action splitter.

BTW the Clarke one is available for as little as about £7.50. Bargain.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DarkNewt

Postby DarkNewt » 31 Aug 2017, 1:39pm

Hi All,

that looks awesome - just the ticket! I will let you know how I get on!

Newt

PAB855

Postby PAB855 » 31 Aug 2017, 1:40pm

In my successful attempt, I was fortunate to have a big engineer's vice in my garage. With a big enough hex socket to give space round the plain end of the cotter pin, the vice was closed onto the threaded end with the nut on to give a bit of a better bearing surface. I had to use a 3ft length of tubing to give enough leverage. After a dose of plusgas both were removed, one gave in as if I was gently cutting cheese, the other was more reluctant. After swinging on the pipe, it finally gave way with an almighty bang! Good luck

fausto99

Postby fausto99 » 1 Sep 2017, 10:05pm

The advantage of a big G clamp rather than a vice is that you can do it all with the bike on the ground and leave it unattended. No holding the bike up to a bench vice , nor any propping up to the right height of a loose vice on the floor... and the cup of tea, of course!

peetee

Postby peetee » 2 Sep 2017, 12:30am

A mate of mine made a tool from a U shaped piece of steel and an 8mm bolt. Works a treat - several hours post-Plusgas, of course.

and the cup of tea, of course!

Can't do a thing without it! :wink:
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 2 Sep 2017, 9:26am

Sounds like it too late now, but I always have great success by heating up the cranks, then using the threaded end and on the opposite side an old socket (say a 12/14mm) I clamp it in the vice, as centered as it's possible, and give it a good squeeze! 8)
Once the seal is broken, a pin-punch is enough to remove the cotter pin
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...