downgrading with age.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: downgrading with age.

Post by reohn2 »

mig wrote:it is much easier to change 'bars etc but how often do you do that?

I don't do it often at all,but you brought it up :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 Sep 2017, 5:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
willcee

Post by willcee »

I suppose I'm in the same camp as the rest of you.. Luckily I don't look my age but of recent times starting to feel it.. need a left hip joint , but can still cycle mostly pain free, not as far or as quickly but I still like the old feeling of wind in my hair.. with age comes experience, but sadly not common sense, experience good or bad lets you know what you like, and usually why you like it, common sense should inform you that the bike is just a chassis and the motor is your own, good or bad.. Its great to have a stable where a whim can take you out on one of your machines on a nice sunny day that might otherwise be hanging on a garage wall.. yes I have a few , and if I leave this earth, instructions as to what to do with them are under lock and key..When I was a classic rendendez vous contributor there were many threads in their forum about similar situations on demise and what one should do with the machinery...as we all know to those mere mortals who don't have our disease,.... a bike is a bike is a bike.... and an instrument related to torture.. and no notion of value is perceived.. will
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

reohn2 wrote:
flat tyre wrote:I find that now I've retired I 've got more time to fiddle around with bits and pieces, plus - I like bike bling! I've tried various new fangled thingies recently, various groupsets, tubeless tyres etc.

You're describing a hobby of fiddling with stuff for the sake of fiddling :wink:

Yes, sounds like a hobby to me!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

flat tyre wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
flat tyre wrote:I find that now I've retired I 've got more time to fiddle around with bits and pieces, plus - I like bike bling! I've tried various new fangled thingies recently, various groupsets, tubeless tyres etc.

You're describing a hobby of fiddling with stuff for the sake of fiddling :wink:

Yes, sounds like a hobby to me!

:D
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mig wrote:
reohn2 wrote:....Ahead system beats quill hands down.

it does?

i don't actually like ahead systems that much. they seem to work loose, let water in and i find that i don't want to change my 'bars nor stem very often.

I am inclined to agree. They are not designed to adjust up and down very easily. They often have bolts that threaten to eviscerate you in the event of a prang, and they are mostly absolutely gopping, too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mig wrote:it is much easier to change 'bars etc but how often do you do that?

The fact that it is easier is simply a fact, independent of how frequently you do it.

I don't want to start a sub-thread, but I submit that mig and Brucey's comments.......................:
Brucey wrote:
mig wrote: ..................i don't actually like ahead systems that much. they seem to work loose, let water in and i find that i don't want to change my 'bars nor stem very often.

I am inclined to agree. They are not designed to adjust up and down very easily. They often have bolts that threaten to eviscerate you in the event of a prang, and they are mostly absolutely gopping, too.

cheers

.................................are well balanced and put the stem question into perspective. For me - and the world may disagree - the quill-adaptor and A-Head stem ensemble are a compromise but a better solution - it incorporates the benefits of both systems. I had my most recent frame built with traditional headset and the framebuilder approved of my choice - it was also his choice for his latest frame - so I'm not the only one!

Having said that, following cycling colleagues' experiences, I've never ridden a full A-Head ensemble.

Just a question for Brucey - what does "gopping" mean?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

JohnW wrote: Just a question for Brucey - what does "gopping" mean?

loosely, 'distinctly unattractive, unpleasant, well below acceptable norms'

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Brucey wrote:
JohnW wrote: Just a question for Brucey - what does "gopping" mean?

loosely, 'distinctly unattractive, unpleasant, well below acceptable norms'

cheers

That's me, Brucey! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:I am inclined to agree. They are not designed to adjust up and down very easily. They often have bolts that threaten to eviscerate you in the event of a prang, and they are mostly absolutely gopping, too.

cheers

They're very easy to adjust up and down,granted you need some differing sized spacers and to leave enough steerer tube sticking out of the h/set.
I've never come into contact with the stem when Ive fallen,that doesn't mean it can't happen but quill stems aren't exactly inviting to crunch yer fundementals on :shock:
By gopping I take it you mean ugly?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for my part I've no problems with the appearance ofAhead stems
YVMV :)
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

Speaking with my instructor's hat on, I'd much rather have quill stems - they let you get the bars just right for each rider so much more easily. And this leads me to think that anyone who is not knowledgeable about cycles and buying their first bike, is better off with a quill as they'll be more likely to get their bars set up correctly...although you can go up and down a bit with a clamp on stem the range is normally no where near as good as a quill.

On the other hand, if you do know what you are doing and how to measure up a bike then you'll probably get on with an Ahead just fine. And if you swap forks a fair bit (e.g. MTBers) then they are much better than having to cut a thread into the steerer of a new fork.

As for looks - horses for courses....I put a clamp-on on my Fred Williams,......it just looked awful and out of place and wrong, but on a modern bike with oversized tubes they look fine....to my eye at least.

As for working loose - I've had both do it. Ahead is normally easier to re-tighten by the side of the road (apart from the hateful thing on my work bike :evil: ).
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

mig wrote:i used to be fairly keen on having up to date bike technology for even a training style bike. wanted 8spd when it started, wanted ergo levers, wanted DP calipers etc etc.
as i have aged though i find myself 'regressing' (advancing?) to a bike with either a hub or fixed gear, not really bothered what material it is made from, not even got a basic bike computer on the 'bars etc etc.

is this normal? :wink:
This behaviour is entirely normal. This is because young people think everything has a point - that they are on an eternal upward curve - everything is always going to get better. But old people realise that actually it's the other way round... Ashes to ashes, dust to dust - ultimately, everything is pointless. There can be no other way.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

I try to upgrade with age. The lighter the better. pick up most of my stuff on Troc-Velo. Rode up le Ventoux on my second-hand Time Vxrs last Sunday. Downgrade and so will your brain.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fredN4 wrote:I try to upgrade with age. The lighter the better. pick up most of my stuff on Troc-Velo. Rode up le Ventoux on my second-hand Time Vxrs last Sunday. Downgrade and so will your brain.

How's that then? :?
W H Auden
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

mig wrote: i find myself 'regressing' (advancing?) to a bike with either a hub or fixed gear, not really bothered what material it is made from, not even got a basic bike computer on the 'bars etc etc.

is this normal? :wink:

I think its entirely reasonable. I remember as a younger chap, paying an incredible amount of money for two inner tubes because they were the lightest on offer..
..equally I would speed evenings in the garage attempting to make my wide range (my low gear was 24th chain ring with a 34 tooth sprocket, and I had 4 chain rings on the front) to work seamlessly.
But as you get older you realise that its rather pointless and costly attempting to use the latest pieces of equipment for their own sake. It will either be instantly replaced by something even more shinier next year, or you'll wear it out anyway..
..and thus as years go by, we tend to settle for equipment which works for us, the journeys we take, and the conditions in which we take them... And as we grow older so the time available to us for cycling may decrease.. and we become more thankful, not because we're riding a bike which uses the latest gizmos, but because we are just simply riding..
And thus when we close the shed or garage door, we may even find ourselves wishing not for the latest gizmos or weight saving bits & bobs, but for our good health to continue just long enough to wear out all the bikes and spare parts that we have accumulated :-)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

cycle tramp wrote:.................... as you get older you realise that its rather pointless and costly attempting to use the latest pieces of equipment for their own sake. It will either be instantly replaced by something even more shinier next year, or you'll wear it out anyway..
..and thus as years go by, we tend to settle for equipment which works for us, the journeys we take, and the conditions in which we take them... And as we grow older so the time available to us for cycling may decrease.. and we become more thankful, not because we're riding a bike which uses the latest gizmos, but because we are just simply riding..
And thus when we close the shed or garage door, we may even find ourselves wishing not for the latest gizmos or weight saving bits & bobs, but for our good health to continue just long enough to wear out all the bikes and spare parts that we have accumulated :-)

+1 - more pragmatism borne of experience and common sense. :D :D :D :D :D :D