A Soviet bicycle, 39 years later

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

A Soviet bicycle, 39 years later

Post by Samuel D »

While in Romania recently, I came across this bicycle, which I photographed with my phone to post here for your curiosity. Open any photo in a new tab or window for a larger view.

A man bought it for his wife 39 years ago. He told me it was Russian and cost three-quarters of his salary. The woman used it to cycle to work for years, and when she finally stopped using it in the city, he started using it in the countryside. Thus it continues rolling today.

I say ‘rolling’, but every bearing except the rear hub was worn to the point of having free play. Perhaps that rear hub had already been treated to a service in the past four decades?

The tyres were Polish Stomil Tourist at the front and Czech Rubena at the rear. I hadn’t heard of either brand, but Google tells me Rubena still exists in some form today.

The spokes were massive beyond belief, but despite this there were signs that some of them had failed in the past. (I duly tut-tutted at the rear spoke count of just 36.) Replacements were not always quite the right length.

The frame was repainted and even welded in some spots. The mudguards were patched.

The chain was heavily worn, as were the front and rear sprockets. On the plus side, it was better lubricated than many chains I see on expensive road bikes here in Paris.

As you might imagine, this bicycle was colossally heavy – at a guess, not far off 25 kg.

I rode it and found it to be tremendously stable: so much so that on this strange machine I managed the 90-degree bend in the footpath around the corner of the house on my first attempt. The seat tube angle must be somewhere in the region of 68 degrees and the head tube around 70 degrees.

Before dumping the photos in no particular order, here’s a close-up of the pedal, showing slight signs of use:

It was nice to see a worn-out bicycle. They’re not common enough in my neck of the woods.

The photos, then:

Cyril Haearn

Re: A Soviet bicycle, 39 years later

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Where can I get one?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Good old 28 X 1 1/2 wheels. Rubina tyres currently imported and distributed in the UK.
Ah, no front brake fitted, better not go there then......
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Herr is a link to a splendidly worn out bike I encountered in rural Tanzania. I particularly liked the rebar rack.

https://ello.co/geomannie/post/q2o-dozjcftscb_syj-u2w
geomannie
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A triumph of maintenance over shoddy construction and lack of parts. :D

Stomil are still going as part of Michelin but I don't think they make bicycle tyres anymore. The name simply means "Hundred Miles".
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

PS I love the Russian bike, especially the spokes.

Conceptually it reminds me a bit of the old bike I had in the USA in the early 1960s, a Huffy, This was built like a tank with a rear coaster brake and no front brake. Stopping on gravel was a nightmare and over 50 years on I still bear the scars!
geomannie
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

No brakes! I think braking was by putting a food into the rear wheel :lol: Some of the spokes look like they're just hanging in by a couple of threads :shock:
Great photos, much more interesting than the mundane "look at this carbon bike" we see elsewhere.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

fastpedaller wrote:No brakes! I think braking was by putting a food into the rear wheel :lol: Some of the spokes look like they're just hanging in by a couple of threads :shock:
Great photos, much more interesting than the mundane "look at this carbon bike" we see elsewhere.

ETA - I now see it has a reaction lever on the LHS chainstay, so I guess it has a coaster brake! (almost) no brakes then! :mrgreen:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

chain ring and cogs seem in fine condition as do the mudguards?
whoof

Post by whoof »

A friend at work's Grandfather used to own a bike shop in Sri Lanka. He never sold a single bike just kept old ones running using a range of 'innovative' repair methods.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

I've written about my Soviet bike before, so I'll just copy and paste bits of previous posts.

I have an XB3 Turist that I bought in Budapest. It was built at the Kharkov Bicycle Factory sometime around 1980.

Apart from the frame badge and decals, XB3 branded components include the tyres, brake calipers, gear shifter, saddle and derailleur. The 4-speed freewheel* requires a unique spanner that the bicycle shop doesn't have, so I assume that's made at the same place. The chainwheel and brake levers, while not branded (as far as I remember), seem to match the rest in style and heft.

Still, who cares about weight, when the derailleur looks like this:

I met an old farmer in rural Hungary who was riding around on a similar model. His cotter pins were so loose that the cranks rotated almost a quarter turn before exerting any force. There was no bike shop nearby, and I'm not sure he cared anyway. He simply pushed bits of metal into the gap when things became too bad. I posted new cotter pins to him from Budapest, but I don't suppose he used them.

* The four gears are narrowly spaced, and range from 'going along on the flat into a gentle breeze' to 'going up a moderate incline'.
amsr

Post by amsr »

I used to have a bike exactly like that, colour and all! I was told it was East German but it could well have been Russian. I got it from a CP friend in Birmingham in the 1980s. Anyway, it was the best bike I have ever had, very comfortable and indestructable. A mini once drove into me on a roundabout, the passenger side door was so badly dented it sprung open and would not close, and the driver was almost hysterical because they thought they had killed me, but apart from the basket falling off there was not a mark on me or the bike. Wonderful machine. Got nicked eventually, of course. Thanks for reminding me of it!
Anita
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Bovlomov: your bike is even more "branded" than you realize! The XB of XB3 is actually Kh V in the Cyrillic alphabet.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Geomannie: wonderful photo! I think the gent has even retrofitted faux front suspension. That man is no weight weenie.

whoof wrote:A friend at work's Grandfather used to own a bike shop in Sri Lanka. He never sold a single bike just kept old ones running using a range of 'innovative' repair methods.

The 2nd edition of Sam Tracy’s book, Bicycle! A Repair & Maintenance Manifesto, includes many such bodge repairs as observed or invented by Tracy in Mauritania and elsewhere. Since he’s a talented and idiosyncratic writer too, it makes for fascinating reading for any true bicycle geek. Recommended – as long as you know better than to follow half of his advice!

bovlomov wrote:There was no bike shop nearby, and I'm not sure he cared anyway. He simply pushed bits of metal into the gap when things became too bad. I posted new cotter pins to him from Budapest, but I don't suppose he used them.

Oh, he probably pushed them into loose parts on his tractor.

By the way, in wealthy, European Amsterdam I saw similar crimes against engineering. Scheduled preventive maintenance is an airy concept for most people worldwide. Of course people in rich countries can buy new things more often.

Anita: sounds about right. I’d bet on this bicycle over a Mini any day.

But has anyone encountered pedals worn through the steel to expose the spindle innards like that? I could hardly believe what I was seeing, but perhaps it’s not so uncommon?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

No, never seen wear like that. It's common to see a pedal that's only spindle, having lost its rubbers or cage, of course.

Samuel D wrote:Geomannie: wonderful photo! I think the gent has even retrofitted faux front suspension. That man is no weight weenie.

I very much doubt it. Bikes with those reinforced forks, which is what they're supposed to be, are still sold in India and presumably in various parts of Africa too.