What track pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Re: What track pump

Post by PH »

Many thanks for the suggestions and advice.
The position of the gauge wasn't something I considered, I would prefer it at the top and it might become more important as time goes on, but I'm not considering it a deal breaker. My last pump's gauge was inaccurate but consistent, I had the three pressures most used marked with paint as brucey suggests.
All my tubes are presta and all 700 so plenty of room for the head (except the little used folder which has it's own pump anyway) I know someone with a Joe Blow so I'll go and try that. The SKS seems to have a choice of heads, EVA which fits all valves, twin which looks like two fittings in one and thumb lever which looks like the original fitting, I'm not sure which would suite me best, is the EVA more complex than needed? Would the twin be better? Is the thumb the one thirdcrank didn't get on with?
That gaz and others are still recommending the Joe Blow after years of use is encouraging. I suspect a year in a workshop is equivalent to a my lifetimes use, maybe not if I was 20!
Something I hadn't considered until I started looking is length of hose. My bikes are hung up by the wheels and it would be an advantage to do them all while still on the stand, though it's not something I've had so wouldn't miss. Is there any disadvantage to a long hose?
Looking at the Joe Blow range the Sprint has top mounted gauge and long hose so might tick all the boxes.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... rd|17724UK
One last question, my cheapies have been plastic, those I'm looking at are either steel or aluminium, is there any advantage of one over the other? Weight isn't a factor.
I might look out for used Silca, just because, though the idea that I might have to start making the washers for certain models makes me wary.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

most consumables for older Silca pumps available from SJS at reasonable cost.

No major downside to a long hose provided a good connection is made IMHO

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

reohn2 wrote:

Yep that was a good call Gaz,Ive had mine since that thread in 2009 in regular use and has proven to to live up to it's recommendation as a really good pump,it's never failed me and has never needed any maintainence to it :D

Usually the stuff I buy is recommended by nobody :) But, I've had a Joe Blow for years, and it still works perfectly well.
meic

Post by meic »

The Joe Blow Sport is the only track pump that I have ever owned.
Ten years of domestic use and it is still absolutely fine, I have even used it on the car tyres when those cheap crappy Halford's foot pumps failed. It is a pleasure to have something that works so reliably and effortlessly, it does fit on my 36 spoke 406 wheels too, you just put the head in at an angle.

I have recently bought a tub of silicone grease and do wonder about opening it up and applying some to whatever o ring or cup that it has inside.

I can understand that a pump which cost about £30 back then isnt rugged enough for a bikeshop but seems reliable enough for domestic use.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'd guess that a year or two in an LBS is about the same as five or ten years of domestic use, with (if what I have seen is anything to go by) a good deal more rough and tumble involved.... :wink:

cheers
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Brucey wrote:I'd guess that a year or two in an LBS is about the same as five or ten years of domestic use, with (if what I have seen is anything to go by) a good deal more rough and tumble involved.... :wink:

cheers

At home, I don't pump a bike tyre every week.......lets say every 10 days to make the maths easy....
In a shop, its probably several bikes a day......
....so shop use might be 30 to 60 times as much as my personal use?....plus the rough handling
....I expect to leave my Joe Blow to one of the kids....or grandkids...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

531colin wrote:
Brucey wrote:I'd guess that a year or two in an LBS is about the same as five or ten years of domestic use, with (if what I have seen is anything to go by) a good deal more rough and tumble involved.... :wink:

cheers

At home, I don't pump a bike tyre every week.......lets say every 10 days to make the maths easy....
In a shop, its probably several bikes a day......
....so shop use might be 30 to 60 times as much as my personal use?....plus the rough handling
....I expect to leave my Joe Blow to one of the kids....or grandkids...

I'm sure they will be thrilled :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have the SKS Airkompressor and I quite like it.

I replaced several track pumps in quick susccession after a neighbor borrowed my Bontrager one for the pneumatic wheels on her double buggy & it came back leaky :evil:

About 5 years ago, I bought the SKS one & it has served me well. I find it easy to use. The gauge is easy to read & agrees with my perssure gauges. The best part is that it has held up to the abuse of kids borrowing it and leaving it lying about outside.

If I felt I needed something tougher, I'd buy a Rennkompressor.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

+1 for Lezyne
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:The SKS rennkompressor is a good choice regarding spare parts availability but the chuck won't suit everyone; for years it was a lever action Schrader and you have to use an adaptor (that screwed onto the valve) to inflate presta. This is a bit slow and fiddly.

No longer the only option of head: http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/rennkompressor/

I used an SKS Airkompressor for the first time in the Netherlands earlier this year. It was by far the easiest floor pump I've ever used and I've used a fair few over the years, including Topeak. On the strength of that, I intend to go SKS when my old Beto finally fails.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:Is there any disadvantage to a long hose?

Your first stroke(s) will be compressing air in the hose until the valve opens and if your head seal is imperfect, it's less forgiving. And there's more hose to get nicked/cut by silly events. That's about it. I would rarely choose between pumps based on hose length, as it's fairly easy to change, even adding a short hose to a mini pump that has none.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

PH Wrote:

I might look out for used Silca, just because, though the idea that I might have to start making the washers for certain models makes me wary.

At one time the 30mm washers were available from SJS for about £3.75 but I just checked and both sizes are now listed at £12.

Making your own isn't difficult. You can improvise a simple tool, or if you know someone with a lathe, make a more professional one.

This illustrates the general principal.

Once you have the tool and a piece of scrap leather you could make a couple of dozen. At £12 a pop you'd soon be a millionaire.
mig

Post by mig »

my first track pump was a 'sapo' from the LBS. a real no nonsense job - red metallic barrel with a sturdy black plastic handle and a basic pressure gauge. it lasted about 20 years before starting to give way. i think something inside the barrel wore out and it refused to pump. couldn't find any spares.
anything that i've had since has been way more expensive and way more problematic.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Silca washer 74.1 (for 30mm bore pumps) is £3.99 at SJS

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/silca-pista-super-pista-leather-washer-741/

It won't fit the earlier type with 28mm bore. If anyone is desperate for a 28mm one I have a few of a type that are suitable, £5 posted.

The more expensive washers are new stock ones from 'new silca', money no object....

cheers
robc02

Post by robc02 »

If anyone is desperate for a 28mm one I have a few of a type that are suitable, £5 posted.

I can vouch for the efficacy of these. :D