Rear Suspension Wobble

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CityTiger

Rear Suspension Wobble

Post by CityTiger »

I'm fairly new to cycling and maintenance so bear with me as I'm not up to speed on technical names for parts, etc :D

I have a mountain bike with front and rear suspension and I think (although I'm not certain!) that there is something wrong with the rear suspension.

The whole back part of the bike has a little bit of give so that it can wobble from side to side. It only appear slight but another cyclist mentioned to me he could see it wobbling as I rode and it was 'mesmerising' so it must be fairly bad! I think he said it could be the wishbone?

I have checked all the nuts and bolts and tightened things up but the wobble is still there. Is it normal to have a slight side to side wobble on your rear wheel if you have rear suspension or should it only ever move up and down?

If I wanted to try and repair it myself, what should I look at doing first and what parts am I likely to need?

Reluctant to take it in for repair as it's only a cheap bike anyway so it would probably be more worthwhile me putting the money towards a new, better bike!
meic

Re: Rear Suspension Wobble

Post by meic »

As you could not find play in the swinging arm bearings, have you made sure that it isnt actually a rear wheel problem?

Loose wheel bearings (very unlikely as disc brakes would complain like hell), buckled rim or deformed/ poorly seated tyre.

This will give you an outline idea of what the pivot bearings are like, you will need to check out things specific to your bike.
http://www.mbr.co.uk/how-to-2/service-f ... ots-351661
Yma o Hyd
CityTiger

Post by CityTiger »

I don't think it's the wheel itself, if I try and wobble the wheel the whole arm that connects to the main frame of the bike moves from side to side slightly even after tightening everything. The wheel itself seems to run true so it's definitely more likely to be a pivot point issue I think.
meic

Post by meic »

Best to get that out of the equation right from the start, if you name the bike somebody will probably come along with specific advice for that type of assembly, good luck.
Yma o Hyd
CityTiger

Post by CityTiger »

It's an Apollo Ridge, here's a photo of the rear suspension:

I can't tell for sure but assume any movement would be coming from that bottom pivot point.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

was it always like that other wise could be all the muck and wear and tear?
CityTiger

Post by CityTiger »

Yeah I'm not sure if it was always like that which is part of the issue! :lol:

The bike does need a good clean, although not sure that would reduce a wobble, more likely to increase it if the dirt is holding things together!

I guess it may be worth dismantling it, cleaning it up and re-assembling it if I don't see any obvious issues. Just worried if I start doing that then I may create even more issues.

If it is wear and tear, does anyone know the name of the parts in the pivot as I'm guessing something within that may need replacing.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IME there are likely to be some plastic bushes in the swingarm main pivot which are worn. There is no standard size or anything and you will be lucky to find spare parts at all. As I see it your options are

- living with it
- bodging some kind of repair (eg cutting the bushings lengthwise and packing them out with shims or something)
- miraculously finding new bushes; ask Halfords, they are responsible for this bicycle...
- having new bushes made (anyone with a lathe can make something far better than the originals, and maybe fit a grease nipple too)
- giving up and getting another (better) bike

most folk would opt for the last of these.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CityTiger

Post by CityTiger »

Thanks Brucey. I must say the latter of those options does appeal to me! I bought this bike a few years back just to have a bike for very occasional trips the shops, etc. However, I'm now biking to work so it's getting about 40 miles a week and I realise for that kind of usage I need a much better quality bike.

My only concern with the 'live with it' option is whether the bike is dangerous. Part of my route takes me on a busy A road so the last thing I want is something to break and cause me to fall of just as a lorry is passing me! Any thoughts as to how dangerous the issue is likely to be?

If I do decide to replace the bike I'm thinking a hybrid would work best for me and this one is within my budget, any opinions as to the quality of this bike being fit for daily commuting would be appreciated:

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/catalog/product/view/id/4148/s/boardman-mx-comp-mens-hybrid-bike/category/9/
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

without seeing it in the flesh it is impossible to say if it is really dangerous or not.

The boardman range of bikes is mostly OK but there may be better value bikes out there; worth looking at the decathlon range if you have a store local to you.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CityTiger

Post by CityTiger »

Thanks Brucey. I've had a look at the Decathlon range online and there is nothing that stands out to me that's available in my size.

I've done some more reviews of that Boardman one and I've gone off it a bit as there are a fair few reviews on Halfords for it that mention cheap parts.

I'm looking for a hybrid bike to be used for commuting on roads and cycle tracks. As some of the cycle paths around here are quite bumpy from tree roots disturbing the pavement having front suspension is a must. I'd prefer tyres that aren't too slimline so I can still have some very occasional light off-road use. Other than that, I'm not fussed about brand or looks too much.

Budget is ideally up to £500 but could stretch to £600.

Anyone have any suggestions that might help me out? It feels like there are so many to choose from and I don't know enough to be able to understand the difference between bikes based on specifications and quality.

There is a Pinnacle on I've seen, not sure if it's any good for the price?

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-co ... e-EV275616
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Do you really need front suspension. A lighter, nippier bike may be easier to negotiate the tree roots. Check out the Triban 540, comes with pretty good reviews and quite light:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540- ... 22798.html

All the best, Simon
the snail

Post by the snail »

The pinnacle bikes generally look like good value with decent spec for the price. Evans do test rides, so well worth trying them out, seeing whether you need suspension etc.
CityTiger

Post by CityTiger »

Ok thanks for the help, I'll give one a try.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Brucey wrote:IME there are likely to be some plastic bushes in the swingarm main pivot which are worn. There is no standard size or anything and you will be lucky to find spare parts at all. As I see it your options are

- living with it....

Yes.

IME, it takes a while to get to the point that the bike would actually become "dangerous" to ride. You have to have a good 1/2" of swing side to side to get things bad. Just remove the rear wheel and try to swing the rear end, see how much does it move.
Those are not performance bikes, a little bit of play is part of the game there, so just live with it.

As other people said, don't be fooled by cheap "full suspensions", get some good tyres on a decent bike and you won't need any heavy and short-lived suspension. After all, in the late 80's we started on full-rigid mtb's :mrgreen:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...