Du Pont Imron paint

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Du Pont Imron paint

Post by PH »

I'm looking for a new frame and this has come up a couple of times, googling shows it to be a two pack polyester, plenty of positive reviews, but not much cycle related. Anyone have any experience or knowledge they'd care to share?
Thorn have been using it on some models for a few years now, where they'd previously used powdercoat. Anyone had one for any length of time and if so how is it holding up? Is there anything that would put you off?
Thanks
reohn2

Re: Du Pont Imron paint

Post by reohn2 »

I can't help with your query but if it were me,I'd ask a few companies who specialse in frame resprays,Mercian,Bob Jackson,Vaz,C&G,etc see if they have any info on it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the paint can be fantastic but it can be irrecoverably compromised by being applied badly (e.g. so looks like orange peel) or by a failure to do the right prep on the frame first. The things that makes a paint job on a frame durable are that

a) the paint doesn't chip and
b) when the paint is damaged, that corrosion isn't easily able to creep underneath the paint and ruin everything.

The former is to a large extent dependent on the topcoat; the latter is 100% dependent on the frame prep (eg phosphating) and any undercoats used.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the snail

Post by the snail »

PH wrote:? Is there anything that would put you off?
Thanks

It's a very durable finish, can't see any problem in buying a frame painted with it. Co-motion have used it on their bikes, popular finish for trucks and boats. I wouldn't fancy using it at home though, it's pretty toxic hard to get a good finish by all accounts.
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks all, it's actually a Thorn frame I'm looking at and whatever else, they do tend to stand behind their products.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Put some Gorilla transparent tape on it, and it's peace of mind.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...