Brooks B17 colour question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vladimir

Brooks B17 colour question

Postby Vladimir » 23 Sep 2017, 9:48am

Hi all,
I rather fancy the saddle in the picture, but haven't seen such a light colour for sale.
Anyone know what it would be called?
light colour brooks.png

CREPELLO

Re: Brooks B17 colour question

Postby CREPELLO » 23 Sep 2017, 12:12pm

It's called Mustard Yellow, but I rather wonder what colour it would become after a few months cycling :shock:

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 23 Sep 2017, 12:52pm

CREPELLO wrote: I rather wonder what colour it would become after a few months cycling

My 'royal blue' has turned black :(

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 23 Sep 2017, 6:51pm

My 'royal blue' quickly turned a rather nasty grey. :(
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 26 Sep 2017, 7:15pm

My "honey" turned a nice rich dark brown - after I painted the back with Neatsfoot oil! (Then read you aren't supposed to do this)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and grey hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

deliquium

Postby deliquium » 27 Sep 2017, 6:21pm

A Brooks honey Imperial after almost daily use two years+ in Wales ~ 20,000 miles

The nose gets soaked and the dye fades. The back end becomes darker. I don't know what causes the blackening :shock:

'Proofided' lightly to the top only (have mudguards so don't worry about the underside of the saddle) - on an irregular basis, depending on how wet it gets. Then let it dry out and the 'Proofide' restores a bit of colour too :)

Have 3 other B17 Imperials, both honey and black. The black ones don't seem to discolour - but maybe they get ridden less in the Welsh wet?

All of them are markedly different in shape and leather thickness - they were always unique from new. All get regular use and similar mileages. The weather per saddle is beyond my wanting to know/record

Each are supremely comfortable - throughout their use and age. Some are harder. Some are saggier. They change. Not had to ditch one yet

Click on images for larger versions :)
Image Attachments
0738C.jpg
0735.jpg
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"