FSA powerdrive BB

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CyberKnight

FSA powerdrive BB

Post by CyberKnight »

Has anyone any experience with them ?
I just remembered i have a chainset in stock but the BB i have is too long at 113 mm for a compact double (?) , i can get a 108 for £30 ish .

Are they still going to be in stock for the forseeable future ?,its for the commuter/winter bike so as long as it works and is available at a reasonable price which i think £30 is pushing it for a BB im not to bothered about weight/stiffness.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Gattonero

Re: FSA powerdrive BB

Post by Gattonero »

IIRC, they're a similar spline pattern to the Truvativ PowerSpline.

My advice would be to install it with lots of grease, and once a year to remove it and lifting the seals to repack the bearings. See if you have the facilities to do so, you need some 18mm ID drifts and something with a 35mm ID to remove the BB core from the Rh cup.
Doesn't take too long, if you have the tools, otherwise check the conditions of the crankset for wear in the chainrings, if they're on the last leg may be worth moving to a more traditional square taper crank that will cost less in the long run (for the same money, you can get Shimano square taper BB's that do last very long)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

So ok then,I was more concerned about replacements long term
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

these BBs don't seem very durable and they are wildly overpriced vs ones that fit other cranksets.

I would ditch the lot at the earliest opportunity myself, or perhaps convert the crankset to use a different BB system, by machining up some adaptors so that (say) a shimano EBB can be used instead.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I agree
I am not overly impressed with it which is why its sat in the parts bin, what with x mas being around the corner i have to think do i spend cash on a new system or just stick a compatible BB in and carry on .
I do have other bikes so im on the drop bar mtb for commuting and as and when my arm gets better ( rotator cuff ) weekends on the nice bike,