Tight bend on brake outer…

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nirakaro

Tight bend on brake outer…

Post by nirakaro »

Drop bars and cantilever brakes: When the front brake outer emerges from under the bar tape, it has to make a tight 90 degree bend before it meets the cable hanger (5cm radius maybe). I used to have a wee plastic thingy that held it to the curve (like plumbers use on plastic pipe), but I can't remember what it's called, or where to get one. Any idea?
Brucey

Re: Tight bend on brake outer…

Post by Brucey »

was it perhaps a 'super noodle' ?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brakes/origin8-super-noodle-pair/

BTW you could perhaps avoid the tight bend at all by using a deeper hanger of the normal type or perhaps an uphanger.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

That's the one. Thanks.
willcee

Post by willcee »

I have done a couple of tourers, Ridgeback Panoramas which have the most awful cable run exiting the bartop brake levers and down to the hanger, complaints from the owner [hires them at his tour company] about a heavy pull on front brake not reasonable for female cyclists.. they were about a year old when it was drawn to my attention, I recabled the brakes with new outers and ss inners and used V pipes to allow a decent smooth bend into the hanger.. result.. I like the look of those Bruce... will
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is a neat idea (and water cannot get into the noodle in the usual way) but

a) they are only 90 degrees (where proper noodles can be set to any angle with a little persuasion)
b) the cable liner usually isn't as thick as the liner in an ordinary noodle so may wear faster
c) if the liner in an ordinary noodle wears or scuffs up, it can be twirled 180 degrees and used again

so it is a matter of priorities.

However, whilst avoiding a tight bend is the best idea (eg by using an uphanger) a noodle of some kind is better than some of the alternatives; some hangers use a short pipe with a kink in it and other systems use a small diameter pulley. Both arrangements can cause the cable to fray prematurely.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

FWIW, a flexy-noodle can be obtained from some Jagwire brake cables, not everyone does use the flexy-end that is to be used by the shifter, so with a bit of luck they can be free of charge 8)

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

FWIW, a flexy-noodle can be obtained from some Jagwire brake cables, not everyone does use the flexy-end that is to be used by the shifter, so with a bit of luck they can be free of charge 8)

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...