Aldi rear bike light with camera

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
san0

Aldi rear bike light with camera

Post by san0 »

I rushed to buy this at launch 28th Sept. then charged it for 4 hours then mounted easily to the post via Velcro strap.

It was a bright sunny commute home and many cars were giving me quite a bit of distance, maybe because the flashing and chasing light sequence had an effect?

I previewed the footage, each file is separated every 5 mins. Average 750,000kb.
The 8GB card holds about 50mins recording, but you have to delete them off when it's full, there isn't loop recording!

Most important to me was the clarity of number plates, and the video quality was disappointing. If the cars were stationary, and you rode slowly, then Reg plates were clear. If the vehicle was moving or turning, then number plate looked all white, with bits of black pixelation now and again until the vehicles were really close or very slow or still. Maybe it's because it was a sunny day, probably better in the gloomy mornings perhaps.

Anyone tested in the dark yet or rain? What are your results like? Maybe it's time to save up for the Cyclic Fly6?
Last edited by san0 on 29 Sep 2017, 7:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Annoying Twit

Re: Aldi rear bike light with camera

Post by Annoying Twit »

Is there any footage that you can post?

I just saw the light/camera and was vaguely tempted. But, reading your review had completely put me off the idea.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I thought it was a Cyclic Fly 6 ... what mugs like me have paid £100 for.
I should coco.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Not a fly 6 or even made by cycliq on the cheap for them. Somewhere online you'll find an open letter from the chairman basically saying it's nothing to do with them and they're looking into it. I think they're looking into whether there's any patents infringed.

Put simply it's at best a cheap clone and at worst a cheap rip off that may well result in legal action by cycliq.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

TBH I'm not long back from the local Aldi and I must say that I am not that impressed with the products this year. IMHO they're going downhill with every cycle sale.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Googled the cyclic fly 6. There are clearly a lot of similarities, but they are not just a rebrand. The plastic is different, for a start.

Even if they looked identical and were actually made in the same factory, it would be entirely possible for the Aldi light/camera to have a different cheaper lens, which could make a huge difference. Then if it has a different sensor, then again that's another opportunity for cost cutting which could make a huge difference.

I was hoping they'd be selling these again:

I find this to be a good light, and I would like a second one so that I can be charging one while using the other one.
san0

Post by san0 »

Here are some stills taken from the video player at full screen. This is the average picture quality!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/opgwSpYomqmVh6Wo2

Specifications of the MAXTEK branded unit.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/camera-and-bike-light/p/079004160072600
I do like the light flashing modes however, and that it comes with the 8GB card and 3 years warranty.

I've not seen the Cycliq Fly6, but I think it has collision detection and build quality/components much better.
Fly6 details
https://cycliq.com/products/fly6/
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

The Velcro strap on the Fly6 is silicone coated for grip; the Aldi one isn't, which meant that I was struggling to mount it securely (I've no seatpost I can use, as my Carradice takes up what little space I have back there). I was hoping that it might have some other mounting options, but hadn't realised it would be quite so large.

I sorted the slipping Velcro strap by coating one side with some black silicone sealant; it's now much more grippy.

Does anyone know what the max side SD card I can use is? 8gb won't be enough for a single day's commute. If it's in the manual I can't see it. Not because it isn't there, but because the print is so small I can't read it.
ehelifecycle

Post by ehelifecycle »

Richard D wrote:Does anyone know what the max side SD card I can use is? 8gb won't be enough for a single day's commute. If it's in the manual I can't see it. Not because it isn't there, but because the print is so small I can't read it.

32GB
toontra

Post by toontra »

Tangled Metal wrote:TBH I'm not long back from the local Aldi and I must say that I am not that impressed with the products this year. IMHO they're going downhill with every cycle sale.

Agreed. I still have a few items from 10 years ago that have lasted well (gloves, shorts, jacket). As time has gone by the quality has gradually slipped & there was nothing in the recent sale that I would buy. Sad really.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

toontra wrote:& there was nothing in the recent sale that I would buy. Sad really.

I think aldi and lidl still do lots of good kit but even over the 4 years I've purchased I've noticed subtle changes. The winter gloves currently sold( they are excellent at £4.99 ) no longer have the small clip to pair them, a small cost cutting. I think perhaps to stay competitive by keeping prices pretty well the same each year means small savings in reduced features perhaps.

One annoying change Aldi have made is to only offer medium upward in their mens clothing, shorts, shirts, jackets. So that rules me out of all these now, fortunately I bought two of each item when small was available. Lidl never seemed to offer small in the time I've used them. The changing size of britain :( . As I'm perfect weight for my height I shouldn't find clothing sizes an issue.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My 13 year old cynical grandsons comment was, " oh thats a good idea, a camera that will let the family see you being killed " ... "over and over again" ... he possibly does not see the bigger picture .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
CROMEDOME2

Post by CROMEDOME2 »

Most people who have purchased these Rear Light/Cameras are now finding that there is a fault with then, namely they are shutting down after approximately 15 minutes use. This is to say the least annoying.
The Maxtek Rear Light/Camera that Aldi is, or was selling, is I see from other Forums (CycleChat Cycle Forum for one) imported from China by Quesh Ltd. They are advising people who have purchased these Rear Light/Cameras that a firmware update will be on their website soon. Some people have received re-funds.
I have tried everything possible to get this to work i.e. formatting the sd card, changing to a good quality 32gb card (Samsung), Downloading the sd card formatting software recommended in the manual, and doing a re-set of the unit, to no avail.
When it did work, the quality of the video was fine and by piecing some of the results together managed to make a short film of a ride out with my club friends.
I look forward to the firmware update. If that does not work, I will be returning it to Aldi for a refund. Then as the sayings go, you get what you pay for, or if it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

san0 wrote:I rushed to buy this at launch 28th Sept. then charged it for 4 hours then mounted easily to the post via Velcro strap.

It was a bright sunny commute home and many cars were giving me quite a bit of distance, maybe because the flashing and chasing light sequence had an effect?

I previewed the footage, each file is separated every 5 mins. Average 750,000kb.
The 8GB card holds about 50mins recording, but you have to delete them off when it's full, there isn't loop recording!

Most important to me was the clarity of number plates, and the video quality was disappointing. If the cars were stationary, and you rode slowly, then Reg plates were clear. If the vehicle was moving or turning, then number plate looked all white, with bits of black pixelation now and again until the vehicles were really close or very slow or still. Maybe it's because it was a sunny day, probably better in the gloomy mornings perhaps.

Anyone tested in the dark yet or rain? What are your results like? Maybe it's time to save up for the Cyclic Fly6?

I am not surprised by this.
A good sensor is essential for good video quality, especially in the dark. A while ago I bought a cheap action camera from Amazon, and promptly returned it before those £40 would be a waste of money; bumped up another £80 for a Sony camera and the difference was unbelievable: very clear even riding in town in the night.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Hoffman

Post by Hoffman »

There often is natural wish to believe the more expensive light is the better one but often the difference is minimum. I saw a video on the Aldi bike camera and they found the quality similar to the Cyclic and the video quality was the same. It did not have looping but paying an extra £70 for looping is a lot of money.

I have just bought the Aldi light for £20 a and will test it out. If it is acceptable I will keep it but if not I will return it. I would never pay £90 plus for something ( gadget) I would find difficult to use all the time