Is a standlight a legal requirement?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PaulS

Is a standlight a legal requirement?

Post by PaulS »

I have just bought a new bike for my son. It is a Ridgeback Tensor, fitted with hub-dynamo lights. Annoyingly, both front & rear lights go off when the bike stops. I plan to change them for something better with a standlight, but I am cross with Ridgeback for cost cutting a couple of quid on a safety feature. Does anyone know the legal position for standlights on bicycle lights? In particular, when supplied as a complete bike (rather than fitted by me afterwards). Is there a code or requirement I can quote to Ridgeback, and make a complaint? And maybe insist they pay for some new ones.
Thanks
TrevA

Re: Is a standlight a legal requirement?

Post by TrevA »

http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libra ... egulations

It is legal to not display a light when the bike is stationary, so Ridgeback have met the minimum legal requirement.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
meic

Post by meic »

I am sure they will be asking for feedback about the purchase at some point and about your only redress is to mention it as a bad point of the bike when they do.

I would also not be happy without either the standlight or a battery light to cover me when stopped on the road at lights, turns etc.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I commuted for years with a dynamo and normal lights.
Never an issue at all.

Maybe this was because the only time I stopped was in town at traffic lights and in the full glare of street lights.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you do not need a standlight. Dynamos have been around for longer than standlights.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Not legally necessary, but I'd be surprised and disappointed with a light that didn't have one nowadays...

Not hugely expensive to replace the rear with one that does have a stand light, but that's not really the point is it.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
meic

Post by meic »

I also think that if you are wearing a reflective (hi-viz) jacket there isnt a doubt about you standing out in their headlights. It is just all the abuse you will get and the possible legal loophole it provides, or the nutter driving on sidelights who isnt looking either.

It is belt and braces, in case you happen to be without your hi-viz.

Historic expectations are no longer up to modern day expectations, even if the law isnt required to enforce them. They are still pretty real and valid as expectations, for the user as well as the third parties.
Yma o Hyd
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Thanks for the link and comments. Looks like Ridgeback did their minimum, and I will have to pay for some new ones. Not a huge expense, but annoying.

This is an interesting bit from the link :
"Dynamo powered lights are legal even though they go out when you stop. That’s allowed so long as you stop on the left."

That will make right turns, traffic lights, queues, and anything else a bit tricky.
meic

Post by meic »

PaulS wrote:Thanks for the link and comments. Looks like Ridgeback did their minimum, and I will have to pay for some new ones. Not a huge expense, but annoying.

This is an interesting bit from the link :
"Dynamo powered lights are legal even though they go out when you stop. That’s allowed so long as you stop on the left."

That will make right turns, traffic lights, queues, and anything else a bit tricky.

Thank you, that bit had slipped from my memory if it was ever there.
I am not about to fit lights that condemn me to that second rate option.
Yma o Hyd
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

it is a good idea to have a rear standlight - many dyno rear lights do that
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

You could also buy a cheap rear LED light for less than £10.
Last edited by De Sisti on 29 Sep 2017, 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.
meic

Post by meic »

A front one is quite useful too. Say out on the lanes when you can see the lights of a car about to come around the bend in front, so you stop in order to not meet them on the bend.
Yma o Hyd
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

I can get a rear standlight (with great reviews) for £6. How much did Ridgeback save by fitting rubbish to a £700 quid bike? Tar, ships, etc. Grump grump.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/axa ... aid:720050
meic

Post by meic »

As you are going to pay twice the price of the light in postage is it not worth considering upgrading the frontlight for one with a standlight at the same time.
If you were a lighting fanatic you may find it hard to resist the cheapest Cyo Premium that they offer.
Though that would be wasted if not into night riding for its own sake.
Yma o Hyd
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

PaulS I absolutely support you in going back to Ridgeback - stand light is what I would expect in a dedicated commuter bike nowadays. That said having commuted for 40 years across Birmingham I still carry two complete sets of lights and usually have a flashing LED plus a dynamo with standlicht on my "work bike". This started with Never Readies and/or bulb then Sanyo bottom bracket dynamos none of which would last a winter without something going wrong and has become a habit.