GPS computer vs dedicated phone?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tykeboy2003

Re: GPS computer vs dedicated phone?

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I use a Samsung S4 Mini but battery life is poor when the screen is on all the time.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

I would prefer a bike computer but the standard of my Garmin, left a lot to be desired as both broke down within months. So I went for Wahoo Element and not a problem and GPS very good. A phone is not a bad idea and iPhone 8 which recently upgraded much better battery but my element goes for 12 hours so no real competition.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

I am going to get something like the Garmin 64ST. It is fully waterproof and great on battery life. It also takes AA batteries, which you can get anywhere. Plus you can load all your own custom routes using something like basecamp. I ruled out using a phone for the following reasons:

1) poor battery life
2) poor readability in the sun
3) most now have built in batteries which is not as convenient as AA when you want to swap them out.
4) Many over heat when using GPS continually. Waterproof cases / mounts often contribute to overheating.
5) Even if the phones are waterproof, the touch screens don't work too well when it is really throwing it down with rain.
6) most dedicated units have bigger GPS receivers and have increased accuracy

In my opinion much better to have a dedicated device.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

peasantpigcyclist wrote:Having used a garmin edge 705 with umpteen issues. I now use an android phone ( z3c) with ipbike app (free) combined with a external battery pack in a crossbar bag (btwin) it works much better even for mapping and directions. Connects with ant+ and Bluetooth sensors. It's all you need for less than 1/2 price of the garmin product! strava compatible , not my cup of tea, and loads of mapping systems. Very customizable. Sony z3c is waterproof too! No issues in the rain. Highly recommended. Cheaper phones can be used to save more money............!

Can you read the display in bright sunlight? I've never had a phone I can see the display of in such situations. Not that things like Garmin's have a great display. I suspect my next device (I currently have a Garmin 520) will likely be a WaHoo Element Bolt, which has a very nice clear monochrome display and which uses a phone to plan routes and generally setup you bike computer.
RickH

Post by RickH »

gloomyandy wrote:Can you read the display in bright sunlight? I've never had a phone I can see the display of in such situations. Not that things like Garmin's have a great display. I suspect my next device (I currently have a Garmin 520) will likely be a WaHoo Element Bolt, which has a very nice clear monochrome display and which uses a phone to plan routes and generally setup you bike computer.

I used to run an Edge 605 & now a 1000. With the 605 I almost always ran it with no backlight during the day (just a few times, mainly in winter - when low sunlight was just at the wrong angle & I know I need to take a turn soon, I would have to jack the level right up) & the minimum at night. With the 1000 I tend to run it with 1 bar of backlight (doesn't suck the life out of the battery too much in daylight & is perfectly usable at night) unless I want to extend the run time as much as possible. I've not yet encountered the problem of the "wrong angle sun" with the 1000 yet.

I much prefer the OSM based mapping on the 1000 to City Navigator which I had on the 605. Especially as it gets updated at fairly regular intervals.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
peasantpigcyclist

Post by peasantpigcyclist »

The decathlon crossbar bag is £12.99 in black £8.99 in colours.. Don't ask why,couldn't see any difference. Phone goes in top section, screen works through top transparent vinyl material. I connect a generic "lipstick" 3k size powerbank (but larger capacity ones are easily carried) in a side pocket to phone should it be required for longer rides. I have taken sheen off vinyl with wire wool which helps in sunlight. There isn't a specific hole to pass cable through, but a neat one can easily be cut.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gloomyandy wrote:
peasantpigcyclist wrote:Having used a garmin edge 705 with umpteen issues. I now use an android phone ( z3c) with ipbike app (free) combined with a external battery pack in a crossbar bag (btwin) it works much better even for mapping and directions. Connects with ant+ and Bluetooth sensors. It's all you need for less than 1/2 price of the garmin product! strava compatible , not my cup of tea, and loads of mapping systems. Very customizable. Sony z3c is waterproof too! No issues in the rain. Highly recommended. Cheaper phones can be used to save more money............!

Can you read the display in bright sunlight? I've never had a phone I can see the display of in such situations......

I've never had an issue seeing the screen of my phone in any conditions.

Ian
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I would try your existing phone with a mount and a power bank in a bar bag or top tube bag first of all before you splash out on a GPS device. I have a Garmin tour plus and use it way less than phone for several reasons. Battery life is worse than my phone, user interface is terribly clunky and laggy with the Garmin, touch screen is terrible, display is awful! The apps are way better designed for phone, you can download map areas on Google maps these days and have turn by turn direction with your phone's gps independent of any mobile signal. Or use other dedicated apps. The maps are far clearer to understand on a phone and zoom in out of/navigate faster and more smoothly.
About the only thing going for my Garmin is it's more rugged, but it's my back up device on tour, I hardly use it.