Why are dynamo front lights so expensive?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikeF

Re: Why are dynamo front lights so expensive?

Post by MikeF »

pete75 wrote:
MikeF wrote:This B&M bracket is useful for mounting certain bicycle dynamo front lights on the handlebars. I am using one with a Phillips lamp. I think the Spanniga lamp could also be mounted using it. The metal brackets that mount on the front mudguard hole reportedly can fail. Also the lamp is kept clear of dirt from the front wheel.

Schmidt do one as well https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s169p36 ... ar-Bracket

99p might do it though. Get one of these take off the bottle mount and use it's screw to attach a fork crown mount bracket or just bolt it to the bottle bar. I've bought a couple of these to put bottles on a recumbent and they're reasonable quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle- ... SwZQRYWMpm

I have those Schmidt ones. The problem is they will not mount on the thicker parts of the bars. That may or not be OK depending on which part of the bars you want to mount the light, and for a Phillips light I had to enlarge the hole in the lamp and buy a longer bolt. However apart from those limitations it's fine, and you can also mount the lamp under the bars as well.

The bottle cage adaptor will still leave the weakness of the metal lamp bracket depending on which type it is eg Phillips type, but it's a cheap option!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

old_windbag wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Prices are extraordinary though and the bracket (oldwindbag's) broke to add insult to injury. Just not good enough at that money.

The bracket was one of about 10 designs b+m do. It was to extend beyond canti brake straddle cable. It was separate to the light and was about £5. The light itself wasn't damaged, the bracket wasn't built into the light, fortunately. Disappointing but it seems a failure many have had on internet forums and b+m released a changed design.

I started with a torch, works well high lumens plus bike bracket but narrow'ish beam pattern compared to cyo premium. But it was as good as many battery lights at the time but under half the price. Aldi and lidl being german do some interesting light sets with approved beam patterns. I like the look of b+m ixon iq speed i think, the battery powered version of my cyo beam pattern.

My B&M Cyo Premium (with senso, no daylight running) was IMO good value at around £50 from Germany. Not only is the beam a nice wide spread so you can see into corners, but the flat beam top means I can train it on the road and not dazzle oncomers. I did have an Ixon IQ speed which is more or less the same optics as the previous generation Cyo (seemed the same anyway) but I found that the 5-cell custom battery pack fairly quickly lost charge holding capability and replacing it would have been expensive. The senso setting is good - just fit and forget, except during the day in bad visibility when I turn it on manually. The previous generation Cyo has been on my commuter for about 7 years in daily use with no problems at all - hence my statement about being good value.

Peter H
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

peterh11 wrote:My B&M Cyo Premium (with senso, no daylight running) was IMO good value at around £50 from Germany. Not only is the beam a nice wide spread so you can see into corners, but the flat beam top means I can train it on the road and not dazzle oncomers.

I went out last night around 9pm to align my cyo premium on new bracket( ended off doing 20 peaceful miles with very very few cars ). Once I had it diaIled in I was back to where I had been pre bracket break except perhaps even better beam spread with light about 8 inches higher up, out of way of wheel and mudguard. The beam on this 3W light is seriously good and shows what you can achieve when you design to make most use of emitted light. Drivers all dipped beams well in advance of me arriving near them and none flashed me to complain so a major plus. I would not hesitate to recommend one to anyone wanting a simple dyno light at lowish cost with wide beam and long throw. You have to ride one to get the real experience but peter whites website has some pretty good representative beam photos.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

The only negative I find is in aligning these lights. When you stop the light stops( only stand light leds on ), when moving it's not always practical or safe to be manipulating the light angle, not always in an easy place to move. I think if I were to design one I'd put in a larger supercap and allow that to light the main beam for a fixed time( say 1 minute ). This would advantageous for beam alignment and general short stops. The housing may become slightly larger but a supercap to support a short time isn't actually very large.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

tatanab wrote:https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/spanninga-axendo-60-xdas-bike-front-light-led
Spanninga bought and remodelled the Philips products a year ago. I've been using the original Philips version of this light for the last 5 or 6 years. It is very good and rates well for beam shape etc in http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html (search that site and it has comment on the Spanninga). The xdas version gets you a standlight which is all you have asked for. xdo is without, and xe is a version for ebikes.

Cheap (in a sale) good for 30mph in pitch black lanes if you know where they go.
Ordered one. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Mick did you order it from "athlete shop"? What was the postage? It seemed very high on something I was looking at (as much as the item!), but perhaps is is free for higher priced items?
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

From memory it's £7 postage on whatever you buy. They're Dutch despite the uk web address so it is international postage. Their customer service was really helpful when I had a problem with an item bought from there.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

peterh11 wrote:I did have an Ixon IQ speed which is more or less the same optics as the previous generation Cyo (seemed the same anyway) but I found that the 5-cell custom battery pack fairly quickly lost charge holding capability and replacing it would have been expensive.

I soldered a 9v battery connector on the end of the B&M cable and now use a pack of six Eneloop AAs in a caddy. Which hold their charge nicely, and can be replaced with AAs from a garage in an emergency.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gloomyandy wrote:Mick did you order it from "athlete shop"? What was the postage? It seemed very high on something I was looking at (as much as the item!), but perhaps is is free for higher priced items?
Yes, Athlete Shop.
£7.99 postage plus payment fee of a quid.

Rather high, but as the light was cheap, I've still saved a bit of money.
Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 06.29.01.png
Mick F. Cornwall
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Athlete Shop

Caveat Emptor, took six weeks to recover the cash they extracted from my account for goods they did not have in stock, but only after complaining to Pay Pall. Avoid.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've got shipping and tracking info via DPD, so hopefully the light should arrive on schedule.
Mick F. Cornwall
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Mick F wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:Mick did you order it from "athlete shop"? What was the postage? It seemed very high on something I was looking at (as much as the item!), but perhaps is is free for higher priced items?
Yes, Athlete Shop.
£7.99 postage plus payment fee of a quid.

Rather high, but as the light was cheap, I've still saved a bit of money.Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 06.29.01.png
Payment fee?? :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Too late for MickF but I'd give a thumbs up for Bike24 (Note: I've not dealt with the other German suppliers & I haven't bought any dynamo lighting). I've bought stuff that is more mainstream over there but niche in the UK significantly cheaper. For orders under 250Euros they charge a flat rate 5.99EU shipping (via DHL). I've been very happy with their service.

Looking at their hub dynamo front lights they have over 50 different ones priced at under 40EU (~£36), although the most expensive ones are a lot more.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've ordered from Bike24 before. Absolutely fine and good prices.
The Athlete Shop ............... I've never considered me being an athlete ............... had the light on offer, so I went with it.

What the quid's worth of "payment fee" is all about, I don't know. There was nothing on the order/delivery page that I saw.
https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/customerservice/delivery

T+Cs
https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/customers ... onditions/
Seems they have an office in Dorset.
My light is coming from Holland.
Mick F. Cornwall
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Was it on a credit card? Some European retailers charge a slight premium (but it does seem strange not to mention it)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, Mastercard.
I wouldn't order anything off the internet other than using a credit card.
Mick F. Cornwall