Dynamo wiring under stainless steel mudguard - what glue?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

Dynamo wiring under stainless steel mudguard - what glue?

Post by deliquium »

Am about to mount a B&M Secula Plus rear dyno light to a Gilles Berthoud stainless steel mudguard. I figure the neatest way to tun the ~2.9mm coaxial cable from a fork crown mounted Edelux 2, is under the down tube secured with strips of clear 3M 'helicopter' tape, under the bottom bracket and then up under the mudguard in its convenient open hooked edge.

What glue or other method is most appropriate glue to hold it place?

Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Brucey

Re: Dynamo wiring under stainless steel mudguard - what glue?

Post by Brucey »

whether you use glue or not you can help to retain the wire by carefully crimping the edge of the mudguard over the wire.

BTW with GB rear mudguards there is a risk of cracking at the seatstay bridge mount if it is in any way overstressed. I prefer to add a second set of stays to the rear mudguard or to attach it directly to the carrier.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

My first thought was Shoe Goo. It held the soles of my old Carnacs together four years longer than the stuff Carnac used, and the toe reinforcement I built up with it lasted just as well.

BTW, old Gilles needs to invest in a few files - that edge is disgusting.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
hufty

Post by hufty »

I would run the wire up the centre of the mudguard using a continuous length of 2" wide helicopter/gorilla/polytunnel tape to secure it.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Audax67 wrote:My first thought was Shoe Goo. It held the soles of my old Carnacs together four years longer than the stuff Carnac used, and the toe reinforcement I built up with it lasted just as well.

Gilles not to blame - I ended up with four rear mudguards and no front ones, so 'twas I who hacked that surplus piece off - and of course dressed the edge on the other, which was then drilled and covered with the excellent SKS rubbery mudguard :)

hufty wrote:I would run the wire up the centre of the mudguard using a continuous length of 2" wide helicopter/gorilla/polytunnel tape to secure it.

Would be very expensive with 'helicopter tape' :wink: but not considered Gorilla or polytunnel tape - thanks fr that tip :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I would say hot melt (from a gluegun) would be ideal for that application. It cools and sets in seconds, so you can actually run the cable from securing point to securing point as you go.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

another possibility is alumimium foil tape - maplins/screwfix it is quite sturdy and sticks well, dont deteriorate but also not hard to peel off without leaving sticky goo as many other tapes do eg Lidl 3M duct tape( nasty stuff). I use this to stick my dyno cable under the top tube and also onto the rear rack. It is important to be able to remove the cable easily as invariably at the front end where the cable undergoes mechanical movement a break will happen sooner or later requiring replacment ( happened to me after quite a few years )

https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-foil-tape-silver-72mm-x-45m/50629

or

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/aluminium-tape-25mmx46m-kw30h

Mine is maplins so dont know what the Screwfix offering is like. But I think mine from Maplins isnt the one in the advert above as my reel cost more than the one there
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Audax67 wrote:My first thought was Shoe Goo. It held the soles of my old Carnacs together four years longer than the stuff Carnac used, and the toe reinforcement I built up with it lasted just as well.

yes given they aint cheap!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Someone on the Thorn forum uses beta-cyanoacrylate gel.

After cleaning the fender with 99% isopropyl alcohol, I glued the wire in place with beta-cyanoacrylate gel. No dangling wires to catch and a quick, clean, reliable install. Running the wire at the edge means it misses most of the rocks thrown by the tire and the connector makes fender replacement easy.

link
brumster

Post by brumster »

Brucey wrote:whether you use glue or not you can help to retain the wire by carefully crimping the edge of the mudguard over the wire.

BTW with GB rear mudguards there is a risk of cracking at the seatstay bridge mount if it is in any way overstressed. I prefer to add a second set of stays to the rear mudguard or to attach it directly to the carrier.

cheers

Yes, mine cracked here too - hardly surprising given the off-road use. Will be looking to modify the replacement pair.
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

The Only Cyclist In The Village
pete75

Post by pete75 »

You only need one wire running to the light - the other you could earth to the mudguard and the same with the light. If you run the cable along the edge you could retain it by filling the edge with a bead of builders silicone.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Randy_Butternubs

Post by Randy_Butternubs »

LollyKat wrote:beta-cyanoacrylate gel

I'm pretty sure that's just a fancy way of saying 'superglue'.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Agreed - but there are different 'super glues' and they don't all come in gel form.
BigG

Post by BigG »

If you use a continuous length of tape, be very careful not to stretch it when you apply it otherwise the residual tension will pull it off the guard where the adhesion is weakest. Most tape glues do not set solid but are merely very highly viscous and will creep eventually under tension. I have found that fixing the tape in about 150 mm (6") lengths overcomes this. It doesn't look so neat from underneath - but who's looking?