Folding bike.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DontheMan

Re: Folding bike.

Post by DontheMan »

drossall wrote:
DontheMan wrote:I would suggest that the locking mechanism for the Dahoon steerer is much inferior to that of the Brompton. IMHO may be dangerous.

Is that based on experience? Seems OK to me after three years.

I have seen this of type of locking mechanism getting worn and rocks from side to side. It impossible to tighten up.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I think there are several types. Mine can be adjusted by hand.
Earlobes

Post by Earlobes »

horizon wrote:

Is there any way you can get a test ride, even a friend's or even of the Dahon equivalent? My concern is that you really will find it too small*. How far is your commute?

* that's the seatpost (you will be below the minimum insert line), the bars (they will be too narrow) and the seatpost angle making your legs and arms feel cramped.

Ok so I'm unable to find one within my budget of £300 new. Please can you post me a link of the Dahon you are talking about ? As I can get the stowaway for £250.

The is no way I can find one to test I've been to all my local bike shops none stock the stowaway and will not get one in stuck unless I definitely am going to buy one.
horizon

Post by horizon »

By testing a Dahon you will see if the Stowaway is too small or not - the Dahon is no better. What I did find is that the Tern seatpost is longer. A lot will depend too on how the saddle and handlebars adjust (or not).

I do share your frustration over this. I bought both my folders "blind", the Dahon cheap and second hand because of that. The only folder shop that I am aware of is Avon Vally in Bath (at the station) and they don't sell Dahons AFAIK.

It would help to know how far and hilly your commute is as the Raleigh would probably be fine. Again, it's just you height I am worried about. If you are willing to take the risk then it might all be perfectly OK.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
drossall

Post by drossall »

Halfords have the Ford S-max, among others; that looks like a badged Dahon. One of their branches ought to have one in stock that you could try?
horizon

Post by horizon »

It shows maximum inside leg of 34" - that's what I have and I'm 5'10". That's why i didn't fit my Dahon. It's also a web special. But otherwise, yes, it looks identical.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Earlobes

Post by Earlobes »

Ok here is my route I'll be doing using Google maps. https://goo.gl/maps/9ZUb8V81MHL2

My inside leg is only 31 inches so according to what I've read I should fit on the bike I looked at.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Earlobes wrote:Ok here is my route I'll be doing using Google maps. https://goo.gl/maps/9ZUb8V81MHL2

My inside leg is only 31 inches so according to what I've read I should fit on the bike I looked at.

Three good things:

1. Yes, you should fit on the bike (some people also think that having the seatpost a couple of cm showing below the MInimum Insertion Line is fine anyway).
2. The distance is ideal - worth getting the bike out for and much quicker than walking.
3. As far I can see it's dead flat.

By the way, I don't have any issues with my Dahon: it has all the usual disadvantages of a folder but has been trouble free and quite a sturdy little number.

So, yes, I'd go for it!
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I bought my Tern Link D8 off eBay for around £220. I much prefer it to the Bromption I had previously. The gear range is enough for steepish hills and yet I rarely spin out. It's an upright ride with a comfortable reach for me at 5'8". The handlebar post is not height adjustable on mine.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

DontheMan wrote:I would suggest that the locking mechanism for the Dahoon steerer is much inferior to that of the Brompton. IMHO may be dangerous.

The difference can be seen by eye: Dahon hinges are held by a small M5 bolt, Brompton hinges are held by a beefy M8 bolt :wink:

Also the Dahon hinges do work themselves loose with time, needs regular check. Also worth trying to fetch spares if is a new model, though the design is very similar they may have pins or fixtures of the latch to the frame that can change.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
drossall

Post by drossall »

I don't know. I've had my second-hand Dahon for three years. It's more than ten years old, though not heavily used before I had it. It gets folded and unfolded at least three times every working day, sometimes more. You need to adjust the tension on the catch from time to time (no tools needed). However, I've seen no signs of wear to cause concern.

Bromptons, for their part, need an expensive hinge replacement job after heavy use.

I think, like anything else, these bikes need care and maintenance. After that, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

drossall wrote:I don't know. I've had my second-hand Dahon for three years. It's more than ten years old, though not heavily used before I had it. It gets folded and unfolded at least three times every working day, sometimes more. You need to adjust the tension on the catch from time to time (no tools needed). However, I've seen no signs of wear to cause concern.

Bromptons, for their part, need an expensive hinge replacement job after heavy use.

I think, like anything else, these bikes need care and maintenance. After that, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

I've managed a small fleet of rental Dahons back in the day, they were a pain to keep the hinges in correct tensions. And still today I see many with hinges that can be undone with the little finger only :?

Brompton hinges run with a 6mm solid steel pin in a thick cast steel hinge. The only way to wear it is by neglicence, like riding with the plates worn (thus making a small amount of play) by overtightening, or by leaving the bike always wet until rust starts to creep... one of my colleagues had to do the hinge of his 1986 Brompton last year, though it was £40 I think has saved him at least £400/year in additional train tickets 8)
drossall

Post by drossall »

Everyone's entitled to his own view. But some of the Brompton owners you're calling negligent, I'd call expert. Including the one who lent me the tools to fix the hinge on a friend's Brompton.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

drossall wrote:Everyone's entitled to his own view. But some of the Brompton owners you're calling negligent, I'd call expert. Including the one who lent me the tools to fix the hinge on a friend's Brompton.

It's all about the numbers.
You take 100 Dahons and 100 Bromptons, and see the regular maintenance and need for replacement in percentage.
The Bromton is very much a "no fuss, ride for long, service when needs to" being a bike of a certain price tag their users are usually more than happy to live stress-free and pay £40 every few years. If there's a car with such low needs, please let me know where do I sign :D

p.s.
I've had Dahon and Brompton alike :wink:
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

My 1998 Nissan Micra S 1000 (Only 70,000 miles though)

Had it 8 years - One battery, set of wiper blades, 1 CV rubber, oil and filters, set of plugs, small bit of welding for Mot 3 years ago. :D
NO cambelt and any `servicing` done by myself(Mechanical sympathetic) :wink: