V brake pad holder spare nuts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
uppadine

V brake pad holder spare nuts

Post by uppadine »

What are the cone-shaped allen-head nuts called as found on v-brake pad holders, and where can I buy them separately? Preferably non-rusting! Shown here
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-blocks/kool-stop-v-brake-holder-inserts-dual-compound/
rmurphy195

Re: V brake pad holder spare nuts

Post by rmurphy195 »

Not sure I have ever seen them sold seperatley - as a last resortyou could always buy a set of new brake blocks, use the nuts, and keep the brake blocks until you need them.

Or maybe your local friendly LBS has some in his bits box as spares - I'm sure when they replace brake blocks they simply chuck the old one complete with the attachments rather than re-using the nuts!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

The trouble is, I have them on four bikes, and all are rusty and all could really be replaced. 8 x £20 is too much for 16 nuts!
meic

Post by meic »

This is a bit of a problem with having fitted brakes with replaceable rubber pads, you dont get all these extra bits and bobs like you do with the throw-away types.

This is where having cycling friends would help as such things are thrown away by cyclists on a regular basis.
What I have done is replace all of the cup and cone washers and the conical allen key nuts with ones that are not chromed, which means they dont get to be a problem through rust. All of my cup and cone washers are now aluminium ones and so will not rust but will occasionally break! Which is probably worse than a bit of cosmetic rust.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

Sometimes the blindingly obvious may not be noticed.
That they can (normally) just be replaced by ordinary nuts.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

they are M6 threaded nuts. Provided there is enough clearance to the rest of the brake they can indeed be changed for standard nuts, but you will usually have to use a thin-walled socket to make adjustments. If you want a posh job, use domed stainless steel nuts.

£1.38 /10 in toolstation.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

How rusty are yours?! A bit of unsightly rust isn't a bother, scrub it off if yo must and it'll be fine. If they're actually rusted to the point of not working anymore then good effort! ;-)

If you really really want some PM your address and I'll pop some in the post for you.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

rmurphy195 wrote:Not sure I have ever seen them sold seperatley - as a last resortyou could always buy a set of new brake blocks, use the nuts, and keep the brake blocks until you need them.

Or maybe your local friendly LBS has some in his bits box as spares - I'm sure when they replace brake blocks they simply chuck the old one complete with the attachments rather than re-using the nuts!

Go to the bike shop and offer to sweep the workshop floor at the end of the day and I'm sure you'll gather a few. :-) If the OP is anywhere near Winchester they're welcome to come and sweep our floor...
markfh

Post by markfh »

If all you are after is the nuts then there are a lot of far cheaper brake pads available from a variety of sources that come with similar nuts which may provide you with an economic although not ecologically sound solution. :wink:
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

uppadine wrote:What are the cone-shaped allen-head nuts called as found on v-brake pad holders, and where can I buy them separately? Preferably non-rusting! Shown here
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-blocks/kool-stop-v-brake-holder-inserts-dual-compound/

How many do you need?

I have load of spare, I charge just postage.

Send PM
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

meic wrote:Sometimes the blindingly obvious may not be noticed.
That they can (normally) just be replaced by ordinary nuts.

They can - but it might mean the OP then has to carry an extra spanner just for those, rather than using an allen key already carried!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

Thanks to everyone, and I have taken up bertgrower's kind offer.
RickH

Post by RickH »

rmurphy195 wrote:They can - but it might mean the OP then has to carry an extra spanner just for those, rather than using an allen key already carried!

But if you are using holders that take replaceable brake pads they don't generally need adjusting once they have been initially set. You just adjust the cable adjuster until you need to replace the pads & then let the cable out again once you've put new pads in... rinse & repeat. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

RickH wrote:... rinse & repeat. :D

This may be what caused them to go rusty...

I'll get me coat!

Also have a few spares if still required but as to whether any of them aren't rusty is another matter...

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

get titanium ones :mrgreen:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROCKBRO ... a009431-36

but seriously, if you get the nuts/bolts to rust in a way that is to be concerned, I'd look for the rest of the bike as it's likely you'll have moisture retained elsewhere: inside the cables, BB shell, headset, who knows? As always, when riding in wet conditions is best to keep the bike in a place where it can dry and stay away from damp conditions. If living by the sea, then is mandatory to use water-displacing agents whenever possible.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...