Unusual vintage multi size spanner

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
breakwellmz

Unusual vintage multi size spanner

Post by breakwellmz »

Shown this today, German made.
Attachments
IMG_1782 (1) (Medium).JPG
IMG_1781 (Medium).JPG
Brucey

Re: Unusual vintage multi size spanner

Post by Brucey »

never seen one of those before. What does the screw do?

I would imagine that the shims would be vulnerable to being damaged when used at high load...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
How practical these were who knows.
You see special tools that only fit one thing, or go round corners / through holes, but spanners have to be robust in the hands of unskilled.
http://www.antiqbuyer.com/all_archives/ ... rchive.htm
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

They were made for use on German U-boats during WWII, for fine adjustments, rather than high torque.
edit: or at least it is known as a 'submarine spanner', and of WWII German manufacture.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

An interesting item - I've used a coin to pack out a spanner when there is nothing else available and it's got me out of a fix.
rjb

Post by rjb »

My dad was a submariner and he told me stories about making do when at sea. One story involved machining a key way in a drive shaft. 2 days of hard labour using a hammer and chisel. When needs must you have to make do! :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vorpal wrote:They were made for use on German U-boats during WWII, for fine adjustments, rather than high torque.
edit: or at least it is known as a 'submarine spanner', and of WWII German manufacture.

There's a "Don't mention the war" joke in there somewhere. (Ve haf vays of making you torque. :oops: )

As you might expect, there's one going on eBay.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -281868955

I've used a slim screwdriver to achieve this when I discovered that my son's Viscount bike had smaller-than-normal track nuts and the fix it got us out of was an inquisitive bull, whose water trough I'd just used to trace a puncture.

Which reminds me of the Johnny Helms ad for Mal Rees bikes: "Cor blimey," said the matador, "that's a load of bull..."

Sorry. I'll get my traje de luces :oops:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Vorpal wrote:They were made for use on German U-boats during WWII, for fine adjustments, rather than high torque.

Wow! A font of knowledge!

In Southern Germany(perhaps North too?)and german speaking Switzerland a conventional adustable spanner, sliding jaw type, is known as an "Engländer", which has, in the past, been the source of some amusment!!
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Portugese that I have worked with, call an adjustable spanner an "English spanner"
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the first adjustable spanner was patented by Edwin Beard Budding (yes he of lawnmower fame) in 1842

the chances were excellent that the first adjustable spanner seen in many parts of the world was an English adjustable spanner to Budding's design.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

Wow! A font of knowledge!
Hardly! My dad had one. A friend of his from the US Army Reserves gave it to him (IIRC the friend had some fantastic story about its acquisition, but I don't remember it anymore). He called it a 'submarine wrench', so I translated it :lol:, but I've never seen another one.

PDQ Mobile wrote:In Southern Germany(perhaps North too?)and german speaking Switzerland a conventional adustable spanner, sliding jaw type, is known as an "Engländer", which has, in the past, been the source of some amusment!!

In Italian, they're called 'chiave inglese', which also means English key. I'll have to find out what they're called in Norwegian.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
colin54

Post by colin54 »

A long thread about these here,still making a similar design in the USA apparently.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=27701

http://toolmonger.com/2008/10/31/folding-pocket-wrench/

Quite a few about if you Google submarine spanner.

The small screw is holding a piece of spring steel that the leaves presumably click on to out of the way.

I like the idea of turning different size valves on and off with one.

Bahco rule adjustable spanners for my money, light for their size due to the quality of steel used.
Nu-Fogey
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

Vorpal wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:In Southern Germany(perhaps North too?)and german speaking Switzerland a conventional adustable spanner, sliding jaw type, is known as an "Engländer", which has, in the past, been the source of some amusment!!

In Italian, they're called 'chiave inglese', which also means English key. I'll have to find out what they're called in Norwegian.

In both Norway and Denmark the nickname is Swedish key. Not sure about Sweden then.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PeterBL wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

In both Norway and Denmark the nickname is Swedish key. Not sure about Sweden then.

A Norwegian colleague just told me 'skiftenøkkel' (adjustable key) in Norwegian, and 'danskanyckel' (Danish key) in Swedish.
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

Stupid Swedes...

The "official" name here in Denmark is also skiftenøgle (basically meaning adjustable spanner) but Swedish key is used in daily life.