Rear Cassette Rivets

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hondated

Re: Rear Cassette Rivets

Post by hondated »

MikeF wrote:
hondated wrote:
MikeF wrote: Maybe. It depends whereabouts in Eastbourne you are. I cycled on the eastern side of Eastbourne earlier this year and couldn't believe how flat it is; the bike seemed to freewheel easily in any direction. It seemed absurd so many people were in cars. However if you go over the Downs those low gears could be useful.

Hi Mike sounds like the area that is part of my routes. I try to cycle include at least once a week in my rides a ride over to Birling Gap and up to Beachy Head so let's when I need my low gears.
Great scenery
If you cycle over Beachy Head and need those low gears then it would be pointless to change. The lowest gear I have is 24x32 around 20 gear inches, and the 1 in 5 hills around here are too much for me even with that gear. As age creeps on I need lower ones not higher ones! The 44x11 will give you quite a high gear for the really flat bits, nearly 110 gear inches. You could always try 46-34-24 chainrings or perhaps the cheaper option of a more closely spaced cassette.

Mike / John read what you said and I think I am going to refit the 44CS and experiment a bit more when I am riding to get the right cadence that suits me.
You both appear to recommend the 46CS and that's interesting because Colin has also recommended that in the past as well. So when finances allow I am definitely going to buy that chain set. Its very frustrating that both the XT and Deore chain sets I have got don't allow me to fit the chain rings you both recommend.
The 34 chain ring size is particularly interesting as I have a go faster bike ( why I've got it I don't know. Probably because I watch too much bike racing and read the glossy cycling mags ) that is fitted with a compact and I can spin up hills fairly well with the 30 sprocket on the back. I think the 34 is the key to my problem as the 38 feels too big and the 32 too small.
John I also like the idea of the two tooth steps as the current set up with the 17 - 19t suits me fine rather than the 17 - 20 . Unbelievable what one tooth extra can make.
Thanks again to both of you. I will achieve what I want to one day, hopefully.