Reynolds '531 C' for use on small touring frame?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sun ra

Reynolds '531 C' for use on small touring frame?

Post by sun ra »

I can see I'm not the only person that has reservations regarding the suitability of this tube set.

Yes the frame is off the peg. With regards to a stiff rear rack helping improve handling of the bike once loaded, I must admit I'd never thought of that. But yes, I currently use a Tubus Cosmos on my Mercian and imagine I would put the same on her bike (nb: along with ortlieb panniers, 36h front and rear with a SON wide body dynamo hub, Shimano 9v bar end shifters, etc basically a compliment of solid, reliable components)

Also I have concerns with her set up on canti brakes. I regularly use them on my Woodrup light tourer but have had a few 'hairy' moments coming down steep descents in the wet.

So I wondered if a mini v brake such as the TRP 8.4 might work a little better if I do decide to build the frame up for her.

For the record she is a little over 61kg.
Last edited by sun ra on 15 Oct 2017, 10:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norman H

Re: Reynolds '531 C' for use on small touring frame?

Post by Norman H »

Why not go for full V's operating through Tektro BL520 levers?

I've got them on one of my bikes and I can lock up both wheels braking from the hoods.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

I have a 23" touring frame made in 531c, in a similar configuration to the one proposed. It has carried me (73kg) and enough stuff for three weeks of youth hostelling (15kg or so) for years. I imagine the safety factors considered by Reynolds would underwrite the use of 531c on tourers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

re cantis, it depends which cantis, how they are set up, and what levers are coupled to them. Same goes for mini-Vs; they don't work well with all levers either. If you are set on STIs of one persuasion or a particular type of lever, that does affect your brake choices.

Re frame stiffness; I can tell you that a 531C frame in 22" size a quite a lot stiffer than (say) a standard gauge 531ST frame in 25" size. Folk get very excited about the sticker on the tubing but don't realise that that frame size has (if anything) a much larger effect.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

My regular rider for weekend CTC rides used to be a 23" 531c Raleigh "Racing" frame (Raleigh SB "Gerard O Donovan" Services Des Course ,no Mudguard Eyes , 23mm max clearance) with a saddlebag on an uplift . I'm no lightweight myself but never had any issues with it , it's still lurking in the garage. Don't overtighten the front mech (like I did) :oops: