Dura Ace downtube shifters anyone

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
english john

Dura Ace downtube shifters anyone

Post by english john »

I have downtube bosses on my Condor Fratello, and it is in for a respray at Bob Jacksons
If I went down the downtube shifter route (Dura Ace 10 speed), what 10 speed rear derailleur and cassette woud work to give low gears , such as 34-34 or even 34-36? I use the bike with laden panniers, and need help up hills. I have a compact double from Spa as the chainset

Any advice greatly appreciated
Brucey

Re: Dura Ace downtube shifters anyone

Post by Brucey »

any 'road' shimano 10s mech (excluding RD-4700 model) will work with those levers as will - with varying degrees of accuracy- any 6s,7s,8s,9s shimano mech be it road or MTB (as long as it isn't 6s,7s,8s Dura-Ace).

Since some 9s MTB mechs go to 36T sprockets, I'd suggest that you get one of those. RD-M772 is a good mech.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can't help specifically with your query, but the DA 10sp indexed DT shifters are brilliant.

I wonder what series the DA DT shifters are. I understand that Shimano changed the pull ratios so perhaps they won't work with later 10sp rear mechs. I'm not well versed with Shimano stuff, so I'm willing to be educated on this subject.

Brucey has beaten me to it.
4700 rear mechs would be the issue.
Mick F. Cornwall
english john

Post by english john »

So you combine the XT 9 speed rear derailleur with any of the 10 speed cassettes - Shimano SLX HG81 10 Speed / Shimano XT M771 10 Speed /SRAM PG1030 10 Speed MTB / Shimano Deore HG50 10 . Have I got it right?

If I do this, then potentially I can just have Brake levers. Do you have any recommendations?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yup any of those 10s cassettes will be OK provided they are within the range of the rear mech.

Good brake levers? Depends what brakes you have and what hood shape you like.

BTW you can have 10s bar-end shifters instead of DT ones. There are also Kelly's take offs and similar mounting options for levers if you prefer them not to be the DT position.

cheers
english john

Post by english john »

I have had a look at the 772 reviews etc, and they often mention the need for barrel adjusters with this rear derailleur

Is this an issue if you use the downtube Dura Ace shifters , or is it just with combined levers?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

good point, you will need an inline barrel adjuster or similar with that mech, if you intend to use any indexed shifting. Normally the is one fitted into the shifter cable housing run, but with DT shifters you need one at the rear mech or in the rear cable housing run.

If that is a show stopper for you, RD-M4000 has a similar capacity, but comes with a barrel adjuster built in. It is a perfectly adequate mech but not the same quality as RD-M772 though.

cheers
english john

Post by english john »

Many Thanks for that.
There is a cable stop on the chainstay, so I suppose that would be the place to put it
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there are barrel adjusters that have tapered ends that are meant to be a tight fit in a cable stop braze-on. However the stop needs to be set away from the tube a little to give a suitable clearance, and chainstay braze-ons are usually too close to the stay to allow one of these to be fitted. However such a device might fit directly to the mech itself. There are also inline adjusters that fit between two short lengths of cable housing; they can go pretty much anywhere.

cheers