Really Reflective Clothing / Bits

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikeF

Re: Really Reflective Clothing / Bits

Post by MikeF »

Vorpal wrote:
MikeF wrote:Don't confuse HIViz with reflective clothing or strips. HiViz is for daylight use.

High Viz includes both colours that stand out during daylight, and reflective material. There are standards that define this, like BS EN 471

http://www.hivis.net/blog/57/high-visib ... bs-en-471/
I stand corrected. However many people use clothing of a bright colour which doesn't have reflective material. I'm not sure if the Altura Night Vision actually meets the standards of "hivis".
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Vorpal

Re: Really Reflective Clothing / Bits

Post by Vorpal »

MikeF wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
MikeF wrote:Don't confuse HIViz with reflective clothing or strips. HiViz is for daylight use.

High Viz includes both colours that stand out during daylight, and reflective material. There are standards that define this, like BS EN 471

http://www.hivis.net/blog/57/high-visib ... bs-en-471/
I stand corrected. However many people use clothing of a bright colour which doesn't have reflective material. I'm not sure if the Altura Night Vision actually meets the standards of "hivis".

No, only yellow and orange with strips of reflective material meet the standards.

But the standards are defined for personal protective equipment where workers must wear them, such as railroad, hightways, etc.

Altura Night Vision has reflective material on it, but it does not meet BS EN 471. Cycling garments don't need to. They just need to be easily visible in a variety of conditions.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom