SRAM Guide R brake problem

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hjd10

SRAM Guide R brake problem

Post by hjd10 »

Hi,
I have a problem with my rear SRAM Guide R brake on my MTB. There is hardly any wear on the pads and after a muddy ride the other weak, the rear brake got noticeably worse during the ride. A check after the ride showed minimal wear on the pads, so I got the brake bled at a local bike shop (the brakes are the newer bleed edge system and I don't have the adapters). After another ride out the same thing happened, I now have to pull the lever to the bars in order to lock the rear wheel.

Thoughts?
Brucey

Re: SRAM Guide R brake problem

Post by Brucey »

well there is either air getting in or fluid getting out, I'd guess. A chance that there is simply not enough fluid in the system I suppose. At bike shop rates a new brake (about £60) is probably the most economic solution, otherwise the labour bill will soon outweigh the cost of the brake.

Probably the brake ought to be replaced under warranty but that might leave you with no bike for weeks at a time.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Brucey wrote:well there is either air getting in or fluid getting out, I'd guess. A chance that there is simply not enough fluid in the system I suppose. At bike shop rates a new brake (about £60) is probably the most economic solution, otherwise the labour bill will soon outweigh the cost of the brake.

Probably the brake ought to be replaced under warranty but that might leave you with no bike for weeks at a time.

cheers

Brucey,
It was £16 to get it bled last time. I'll swop out this brake for a £20 hyd clarks one from my older mtb and then try and get hold of some cheap edge bleed adaptors to have a go myself.
There appear to be no leaks.

Cheers.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Get some Hope brakes and live happy 8)

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but after seen many Avid Juicy with recurring problems I usually don't bother and ask for replacement calipers or levers.
There is really very little you can do with them, I'd start by checking the diaphragm (I think they call it "bladder") and if the link between the lever and the pushing rod has not come loose
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...