Carradice options for small clearence?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
andrew_s

Re: Carradice options for small clearence?

Post by andrew_s »

tatanab wrote:I used the original Bagman for a short time but did not like the way it bounced - note this was the original with aluminium rails not the modern steel one.
The original Bagman was steel, and much the same as the current version, details of the support rod attachment and QR release trigger fittings possibly excepted. There was a mark 2 version with an aluminium support, with additional stays to suppress the bounce. It wasn't available for very long, on account of being prone to breaking.
The Bagman isn't suitable if you don't have much space below the saddle - you've got to allow for maybe 4 inches of bounce space below the resting position.

The classic uplift will be the best option, but it does need B17-style bag loops on the saddle
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I'd agree, saddle loops are the one for an uplift. I have a couple of these on Trikes. Also have one on a bike. It can make it a bit unstable when pushing/parking if it's well loaded. I mount over the bars (it's a trike thing) :shock:

I'm sure I have seen a saddlebag that is designed for low saddles/ small clearance, it had a recess on the bottom which sat nicely on the rack, then dropped down each side of the rack. Had end pockets too. I thought it was a "Lowrider" but it's not the one in the earlier post with the link . Imagine a rectangular box cut out in the middle of the bottom of the bag.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

PS I zip tie my uplift on having dropped it a few times . You can get re useable zip ties that are ace for this. In fact I took mine off yesterday when cleaning the bike. The work of seconds.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Can you use the uplift combined with a pannier rack in some way: so that the rack takes weight allowing more than 5kg?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Can you use the uplift combined with a pannier rack in some way: so that the rack takes weight allowing more than 5kg?
I assume the SQR uplift, and the answer is yes. I did it, hence my comment
I do not think that will work with small clearances or a small frame because to release the bag/QR part it has to slide downwards. For example - some years ago I used one on a bike with a rack. The base of the bag sat on the rack nicely, but to lift it off I had to undo the lower attachment and swing the bag towards the horizontal so that the QR part could move down.
It was inconvenient that is all.

andrew_s wrote:
tatanab wrote:I used the original Bagman for a short time but did not like the way it bounced - note this was the original with aluminium rails not the modern steel one.
The original Bagman was steel, and much the same as the current version
You are right. It is a long time ago and memory fades except for the bouncing.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

There's a version of the Classic uplift (as in the photo) that just has the Uplift bit and not the 'shelf' bit that you could use in conjunction with pannier racks. I MIGHT have one in the Garage I'll check later in the week and let you know. I have 4 or 5 Pannier racks too if you'd be interested? .
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I have one and like it a lot but it needs saddle loops, which the OP may not have.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Just had a 10 minute poke round the garage, nothing falling to hand sadly (might be tucked away somewhere)! But it did remind me that you could get a similar thing (i.e. An Uplift without the shelf) that extended under the saddle rails and fitted on the saddle rails by virtue of 4 jubilee clips .
(It was commercially available , not home made) so no nessescity for saddle loops.
But like a lot of these things you might be in Cyclejumble territory and not mainstream suppliers.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

9494arnold wrote:But it did remind me that you could get a similar thing (i.e. An Uplift without the shelf) that extended under the saddle rails and fitted on the saddle rails by virtue of 4 jubilee clips .
One of those has been on eBay for a few months http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bike-saddle-b ... SwMORW8LzN
s-l1600.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

1982john wrote:Open to other suggestions if there are better solitutinos.

Fit one of the short mini pannier racks and let it rest on that?
http://www.laxzo.com/bicycle-mini-front ... 8617-p.asp
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

mjr wrote:
1982john wrote:Open to other suggestions if there are better solitutinos.

Fit one of the short mini pannier racks and let it rest on that?
http://www.laxzo.com/bicycle-mini-front ... 8617-p.asp

That's what I have done. I have a tubus fly rack which I use regularly for panniers but also use it to support saddlebags (Barley and Cadet) from time to time. I bought a QR bagman support but have removed the metal support and instead find the cadet sits quite nicely on the rack using the QR on the saddle. The barley is a bit too high above the rack but doesn't really need mych support given the small size and weight that can be carried. I had initially thought about removing the rack and just using the support but decided I like my panniers for heavier loads.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just on the matter of names for these things, the Uplift was originally produced by Karrimor. Carradice now produce a copy - as in Gattanero's pic - which they call something like the Classic Saddlebag rack.

The one in tatanab's link was made by Carradice and, rather confusingly called the "Uplift." I used to have one, it worked OK but was intended to be fitted to the saddle rails with jubilee clips so it wasn't quick to remove like the Karrimor Uplift which is undo one strap and off.

From experience, I'd urge caution about mudguard clearance even with one of these, unless you get one of the Karrimor originals/ Carradice copies with the platform underneath to prevent the bag sagging and fouling the guard. And, even if you get one of those, measure the clearance even with that platform.

It's been suggested that the tabs in that design which slot into the loops on the saddle are a weak spot. That may be so but they have never let me down in spite of using a longlflap with the flap deployed to carry all manner of stuff. I'm not saying it would be ok for a saddlebag full of wet cement or pig iron, but for the normal stuff you might want to carry in a saddlebag, those tabs have proved OK for me.

Once upon a time Carradice used to do a saddlebag for a low saddle with a raised base in the middle, or to put it another way the bag was lower either side of the wheel. I don't know when they were last made but a few years ago when I bought an original Karrimor Uplift through the CTC mag, the seller of one of them (actually "donor" as they wouldn't take anything for it) also offered me one of those bags, so there may be some still lying about in garages etc.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

That's the one tatanab . You can tell he's another Trike rider! (We both frequent a trike riders forum) :wink: