Shimano Tiagra Flightdeck Problem

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cannon

Shimano Tiagra Flightdeck Problem

Postby Cannon » 21 Oct 2017, 5:55pm

Hi all,

First of all this is my first post so apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. Secondly, and this is the issue prompting me to register, I am in need of advice regarding the titled shifters.

I bought a Cannondale R500 off a friend to use as a winter/commuting bike which was in need of some TLC, most significant work I have done is replace the bottom bracket. As far as I am aware the groupset is all original, so quite old as it's a 97/98 bike?
The bike has been running smoothly after replacing the necessary components, as recently as last night.
I went to go for a ride today and the small lever on the RH shifter wont shift/catch and gets stuck. However, if holding the low gear shifter the high gear will engage and shift.

Could this issue be attributed the grease build up (requiring degreasing and re-lubing) or is the shifter kaput and in need of replacement? All cables are in good condition, indexing is fine etc and there has been no indication of any prior malfunction. The bike has been stored as normal between last night and this morning.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Brucey

Re: Shimano Tiagra Flightdeck Problem

Postby Brucey » 21 Oct 2017, 9:03pm

IIRC Tiagra first appeared with 9s ST-4400 drop bar STI shifters in 2001. There are also flat bar tiagra shifters.

There is certainly no harm in lubing the shifters and you have little to lose; if they are broken they will not be any more broken when they are lubed. Such shifters are normally quite reliable but they are not invulnerable by any means.

To lube, first use something like GT85 (avoiding contamination of any rubber parts), then if/when they are behaving properly, follow it up with something a bit more persistent such as a semi-fluid spray grease.

If you have the patience of a saint and the skills of a watchmaker, it is possible to repair STIs. Flat bar ones are a lot easier than dropped bar ones. Sometimes it is easier to lube the exact right part inside flat bar shifters having removed the covers first.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~