What frame with sliding dropouts for Rohloff?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tommydog

Re: What frame with sliding dropouts for Rohloff?

Post by tommydog »

geocycle wrote:Out of interest why don't you want an eccentric bottom bracket?

I have read so many horror stories on these over the years from people on forums and in magazines, but admit I don't have any first hand experience. But maybe you can convince me otherwise :D

Please suggest a nice eccentric bottom bracket setup that you think would work for me!
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

reohn2 wrote:
tommydog wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Genesis Longitude though the compromise may have to be 27.5 wheels,that said there's no reason not to fit 559's with bigger tyres:-
https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/frame ... 017-p21136

I read that the front forks on these are not steel?

Genesis 2016 model had an an alu fork but the 2015 and 2017 are both steel.
Following on from what Bikewaser says,the 2017 Longitude has a 77mm BB drop so not as high as a XC MTB and fitting smaller wheels will lower it a little more but unless riding rough rutted singletrack I dont see that as problem,of course you could stick with 27.5 wheels or even 29er with smaller tyres,or you could run 559s on 3in tyres which shouldmbe OK with a Rohloff and single chainring.

BTW both Bikewaser and myself have 2015 Longitudes.I'm in love with mine :)

Thanks for the info. I have to say I am very tempted by a Longitude. Is yours a Rohloff?

Seems a strange thing that they went to alu fork for that year - wonder what the thinking was with that? At least they have gone back to steel now.

So if I go for the Longitude, will the Rohloff just slot right in without the need for any chain tensioner etc?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tommydog wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
tommydog wrote:
I read that the front forks on these are not steel?

Genesis 2016 model had an an alu fork but the 2015 and 2017 are both steel.
Following on from what Bikewaser says,the 2017 Longitude has a 77mm BB drop so not as high as a XC MTB and fitting smaller wheels will lower it a little more but unless riding rough rutted singletrack I dont see that as problem,of course you could stick with 27.5 wheels or even 29er with smaller tyres,or you could run 559s on 3in tyres which shouldmbe OK with a Rohloff and single chainring.

BTW both Bikewaser and myself have 2015 Longitudes.I'm in love with mine :)

Thanks for the info. I have to say I am very tempted by a Longitude. Is yours a Rohloff?

Seems a strange thing that they went to alu fork for that year - wonder what the thinking was with that? At least they have gone back to steel now.

So if I go for the Longitude, will the Rohloff just slot right in without the need for any chain tensioner etc?

Mine has the standard 3x10sp deraileur set up but if I were puting any big mileage in on it I'd definitely go Rohloff,and yes it will slot straight in as both frame and Rohloff are 135 OLN.
You'll need chain tugs on any IHG or SS hub:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... rp-prod216 unless you go with an eccentric BB as the rear dropouts are rearward facing.

I've had eccentric BB's on tandems for over 20 years and never had a problem with them,the trick is to keep them well lubed with copper grease,and don't overtighten them,which is a common problem especially with the double wedge type commonly found in alu frames.

The general consensus among Longitude owners is that Genesis made a big mistake going with an alu fork for 2016 :? ,a fault rectified on the 2017 model.If you should find a 2015 GL frameset it has a higher BB drop @70mm than the 77mm 2017 one,another anomaly as the 2015 is a 29er sold with 2.4 inch tyres,and the 2017 is a 27.5 wheeled machine sold with 2.8s as standard.I cant be sure of this but my suspicions are the clearances on both bikes are the same.
There's a report on my Longitude in this thread:- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=93462&hilit=Genesis+longitude
Though its slightly different these days with Jones Loop h/bars and an Alpkit large Possum framebag that accomodates the pump instead of it being open to the elements.
The last post by Farawayvisions,in that thread gives a link to a first impressions test on a Rothloff Longitude
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

reohn2 wrote:
tommydog wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
You'll need chain tugs on any IHG or SS hub:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... rp-prod216 unless you go with an eccentric BB as the rear dropouts are rearward facing.

I have never used chain tugs before, but looking at this video it looks a neat idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Izg0AJ4dfI

I take your point about keeping the eccentric bottom bracket well greased / serviced, but really what advantage would it have over a chain tug? The chain tug idea looks so simple and they are cheap enough that you could even have spares.

On the subject of wheels, do you think it would work out okay to run 26" wheels on the Longitude?
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

tommydog wrote:

I have read so many horror stories on these over the years from people on forums and in magazines, but admit I don't have any first hand experience. But maybe you can convince me otherwise :D

Please suggest a nice eccentric bottom bracket setup that you think would work for me!

I'd point you to Thorn, their touring frames are excellent. IMO the 853 raven sport tour frame was the best but is now only available in a few sizes, the new raven is good if more solid, the mercury is a 700C version.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tommydog wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
tommydog wrote:

I have never used chain tugs before, but looking at this video it looks a neat idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Izg0AJ4dfI

I take your point about keeping the eccentric bottom bracket well greased / serviced, but really what advantage would it have over a chain tug? The chain tug idea looks so simple and they are cheap enough that you could even have spares.

On the subject of wheels, do you think it would work out okay to run 26" wheels on the Longitude?

There's no advantage in an eccentric BB over chaintugs the amount of adjustment is about the same or or more for the c/tugs.

As for wheelsize it depends what section tyre you fit,27.5 =584mm ,26in = 559mm so the difference ain't that much.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hufty

Post by hufty »

tommydog wrote:

My Thorn Raven has an EBB, Mrs H has a bike with sliding dropouts, neither has been a problem ever. If you avoid adjusting the tension until absolutely necessary ie when the chain falls off on corners then it's going to be years between adjustments anyway. The EBB is easier to do as you only need access from one side but neither is a drama.

[EDIT: Don't think Thorn do disc brakes so no good for you though]
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

tommydog wrote: Don't think Thorn do disc brakes so no good for you though

They definitely do now....In both 26' and 700c. You can now put a fully disc braked Nomad together if you wanted to....Have a look around the SJS web site or the Thorn forum, it's all there.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

tommydog...

Just to add....You don't need any sort of chain tugs if you go with sliding drop outs AND a Rohloff with a nutted axel (TS) as opposed to one with a quick release skewer (CC).

Getting EXACTLY the right Rohloff hub for your requirements is a bit of a minefield.....I must have spent a year reading up on everything before I knew what I wanted and taking the plunge. The link below may help.....

https://www.cyclingabout.com/understand ... hloff-hub/
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I am lucky enough to also have a Thorn Sherpa. I didn't mention this as you wanted disc brakes and they don't do them on the Sherpa.
I've been totally happy with my V-brakes on my Sherpa on long tours fully loaded . Never been a problem stopping, in fact they're very impressive and hassle free.

I think the Thorn Sherpa is the best touring bike you can buy. I wouldn't have a Rolhoff, I wouldn't have disc brakes either. I couldn't be happier with my Sherpa . I use it for almost everything; 1000 mile heavy touring, shopping, day rides and it even copes with tracks that some people may consider "off road".

I use my Genesis for more off road riding on my "day off" when i want to get more out in the wild. I could still do it on the Sherpa but the Genesis is better for more lumpier stuff as it has larger wheels and fatter tyres which can be run at low psi.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Tiberius wrote:You don't need any sort of chain tugs if you go with sliding drop outs AND a Rohloff with a nutted axel (TS) as opposed to one with a quick release skewer (CC).

Just wondered why this is? I get that the threaded axle has a much stronger grip in the dropouts and hence will not allow the hub to slide about, however would the chain tugs not help with getting fine adjustment when installing the wheel?
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

tommydog wrote:
Tiberius wrote:You don't need any sort of chain tugs if you go with sliding drop outs AND a Rohloff with a nutted axel (TS) as opposed to one with a quick release skewer (CC).

Just wondered why this is? I get that the threaded axle has a much stronger grip in the dropouts and hence will not allow the hub to slide about, however would the chain tugs not help with getting fine adjustment when installing the wheel?

Dead right .....My point was that you don't NEED chain tugs if you use sliding dropouts and a nutted axel (TS) Rohloff, though chain tugs make life easier for chain alignment etc.....Google 'Surly Tugnut'....So SO nice......

AND....Nutted axel = No Quick release. Dead handy when you're trying to hang onto over a grands worth of Rohloff.... :wink:

To really screw with your head....I built my Troll/Rohloff nearly three years ago. If I did it today I would go with belt drive.
hamish

Post by hamish »

The 2016 (?) longitude did have aluminium forks. That is a shame... But it was the only version of the longitude that came with a left side dropout that allows you to use the OEM2 axle plate for the torque arm. As such it is the only Rohloff-ready version. On other versions you would have to find an alternative torque arm arrangement. I am not sure why they dropped the simple slot needed for the bolt head that the torque arm fits into.

The Toll is extremely versatile so if you want 26" wheels, disks, Rohloff with tensioning and torque arm provision it's a winner. The advantage over a normal hard tail mountain bike frame is that it also has long enough chain stays, plenty of braze ones, a high enough head tube as compared to an inbred, etc.

Eccentric BBs work well. The Thorn one is simple but effective. The advantage is that you can simply drop out the wheel without any kerfuffle. The thorn dropouts are also top quality and built for a Rohloff.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

hamish wrote:The 2016 (?) longitude did have aluminium forks. That is a shame... But it was the only version of the longitude that came with a left side dropout that allows you to use the OEM2 axle plate for the torque arm. As such it is the only Rohloff-ready version. On other versions you would have to find an alternative torque arm arrangement. I am not sure why they dropped the simple slot needed for the bolt head that the torque arm fits into.

Thanks for the info. So what alternative torque arm arrangement would you suggest, as I ma leaning towards buying the Longitude.

As for the Thorn, I am yet to see one with disc brakes.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

tommydog wrote:As for the Thorn, I am yet to see one with disc brakes.

This frame....https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/510l ... et-yellow/

This fork....https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/48-26 ... s/?geoc=US

If you read down to the Q and A section on the fork link you will see that SJS say that this DISC fork is completely compatible with the Thorn Nomad MK11 DISC prepared frame.

I was so close to buying a Thorn....Great bikes.
Last edited by Tiberius on 2 Nov 2017, 7:10am, edited 1 time in total.