HUMPERT Lay back seat post

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
willcee

HUMPERT Lay back seat post

Post by willcee »

Just got myself one of these..
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/hum ... 25/wg_id-3
Arrived very quickly from Germany via DPD ...Fitted and adjusted it yesterday and had my first 5 mile trial run on it today, had to readjust mid cycle and the last 3 miles were definitely an improvement.. saddle is a leather Giles Berthoud, the wide basic one, chosen just recently after my hips were protesting on my usual Regals or Rolls at about 20 miles, these I have used forever, my physio guy said it may be because [my hips are due replacement hopefully next June] it could be the narrower saddle width affects / changes the hip angle when pedalling, 3 rides in on the GB found I hadn't really enough layback, so trawled the layback posts available and jumped on this model.. heavy, and strong ,I'll see how it does on a decent sunday run, and thankfully up to now I have very little pain while cycling , a bit slow and awkward getting on& off, walking is the real issue and standing for any length of time.. So anyone else had a look at these as a layback improver.. will
Brucey

Re: HUMPERT Lay back seat post

Post by Brucey »

that is quite a thing;

hip problems sound miserable.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's not clear to me how much the maximum layback is. They cite horizontal adjustment as -10 to +50, Can you have a quick measure & tell us the max layback?

I need something more than the normal layback (I already have the Humpert layback seat post) on one of my bikes. I'm really interested in this one.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willcee

Post by willcee »

Quite a thing is correct, i 'll take some pics in the morning and put them up..50 is right and is marked on the round part.. i didn't think i would need that much but i think that's where it is at the present time.. at max.. will
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Is +10 / -50 the layback? Or the amount of adjustment available? In the pictures, it looks like more than +10 is available, so the description +10 / -50 was a little confusing.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
pwa

Post by pwa »

I find that if I want to I can work out measurements on an image if I have a starting point. In this case we know the diameter of the post, so other measurements can be extrapolated from that.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'd say that post would put the saddle clamp centre about 40mm further back than an inline post, as a max. That is without measuring carefully, though.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Exactly where do you want me to measure.post is 27.2.. pics attached..will
Attachments
nov 2017 006 (Small).JPG
nov 2017 007 (Small).JPG
nov 2017 004 (Small).JPG
nov 2017 001 (Small).JPG
pwa

Post by pwa »

That's a load of layback. Any more and you'd be doing a permanent wheelie.
willcee

Post by willcee »

more pics..saddle and post out centre to centre of the 2nd pic is 60mm..pics not great camera doesn't like up close and more likely i cannot set it!! will
Attachments
nov 2017 017 (Small).JPG
nov 2017 015 (Small).JPG
nov 2017 012 (Small).JPG
nov 2017 010 (Small).JPG
Last edited by willcee on 2 Nov 2017, 11:00am, edited 2 times in total.
willcee

Post by willcee »

I very much doubt that, the frame afaik was originally designed as a hybrid ,short top tube,long rear end, i built it into a winter machine, and its very stable as is. The measurements according to the angle pointers are presently at 40 not 50 as i'd thought, and i have it almost at max on the rails, that said i may still move it around as when i tested it earlier this week i was not in proper cycle clothing, just jeans and boots so the real test will be when i get the machine out on sunday and see how it feels.. will
Attachments
nov 2017 008 (Small).JPG
pwa

Post by pwa »

The only thing to do is ride it and see how it goes. I had a couple of bikes on which I put the saddle well back and on one of them I had a repeated high speed wobble which may or may not have been related. You, like me, are probably built for slacker angles than some bikes come with, resulting in the saddle being pushed back and a shorter stem going on.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Well I've just ordered one. We'll see how I get on with it when it arrives. :D
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Shorter stem? Blimey, you can't get much shorter than the one on your bike. :o
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

I bought a Nitto Lugged seatpost (27.2mm dia, 40mm of setback) to go on my (74 degree seat tube) Raleigh.
I love the look of it as well-
Attachments
Pie etc 008 (Medium).jpg