Lugged steel, sloping top tube, cantilevers.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
breakwellmz

Lugged steel, sloping top tube, cantilevers.

Post by breakwellmz »

To anyone looking for the above in a new bike i saw one of these the other day-
http://www.adventureoutdoor.co/mens/double-shot
Brucey

Re: Lugged steel, sloping top tube, cantilevers.

Post by Brucey »

the 'Flat White' touring model is built around a similar frame, is better equipped and is slightly cheaper. Not seen it in the flesh, but even with 2x7 gearing it looks like pretty good value.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Nu-Fogey
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Why would you have a lugged frame and a hideous (bone-jarring?) unicrown fork.
Anybody seen a geo. table? ....I suspect the lugs are actually made at fairly standard angles for a horizontal top tube.....and have been "laid back" to get a bit of a slope.
So the frame angles might be sensibly slack, or they could be a compromise too far....depending on fork offset.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

frame angles appear to be ~73 to 73.5 seat, 70 to 70.5 head, by using MB ruler on the available photos.

cheers
colin54

Post by colin54 »

On the 54cm size frame in the first review the head angle is listed as 71 degrees,seat angle 73deg' and seat tube 52cm,there are other

dimensions listed as well in the specification but only for the 54cm frame, fork offset 5.25 and trail 6.5 (no units stated ) cm?
Nu-Fogey
pwa

Post by pwa »

On a purely aesthetic front I like that frame. The lugs are so much neater than welds.

531 Colin suspects that the unicrown fork might be too rigid. I've no way of knowing without trying it, but one of the comfiest bikes I've had was a steel framed bike with Columbus EL Oversize tubes and a unicrown fork with straight blades. The tyres were 23mm, so the smooth ride had to come from the frame and forks. I know the bike we have here is a cheaper thing with thicker tube walls, of course, but I don't see why unicrown in itself should produce a harsh ride. I like to smooth looks of unicrown, but that is personal aesthetic taste.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

531colin wrote:Why would you have a lugged frame and a hideous (bone-jarring?) unicrown fork.
Anybody seen a geo. table? ....I suspect the lugs are actually made at fairly standard angles for a horizontal top tube.....and have been "laid back" to get a bit of a slope.
So the frame angles might be sensibly slack, or they could be a compromise too far....depending on fork offset.

Clever! Obvious when you know! That`s why the BB is not lugged then, the chainstays would not be horizontal if it were.
barrym

Post by barrym »

Temple bikes in Bristol are like that too. Wondered why[emoji848]
--
Cheers
Barry
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

All the lugged Temple frames I've see have had horizontal TT's (apart from the Mixtes obviously), and I've seen a mix of welded and lugged BBs from them too, so think it's model dependant with them. Likewise with the forks, some of their models use unicrown, some not.

I imagine the spec choice in that regard often comes down purely to one thing... £
531colin

Post by 531colin »

breakwellmz wrote:
531colin wrote:Why would you have a lugged frame and a hideous (bone-jarring?) unicrown fork.

Clever! Obvious when you know! That`s why the BB is not lugged then, the chainstays would not be horizontal if it were.

Doesn't sit well with a 73 deg seat though.
71 deg head and 54mm offset is good for me on a tourer.
The forks "look" bumpy to me because of the width of the blade front to back....its a long way down before they start to taper.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

pwa wrote:On a purely aesthetic front I like that frame. The lugs are so much neater than welds.....

531colin wrote:Why would you have a lugged frame and a hideous (bone-jarring?) unicrown fork.....

Brucey wrote:the 'Flat White' touring model is built around a similar frame, is better equipped and is slightly cheaper. Not seen it in the flesh, but even with 2x7 gearing it looks like pretty good value.

cheers

For the low RRP I don't think one should put aesthetics as paramount, rather thinking of a solid ensemble.
A Unicrown fork is cheaper to manufacture in today's day, put that money in better wheels (for example).
Plus I'd advise for a bit of careful thinking regarding cheap lugged frames. You don't want to end up paying £600 for a complete single-speed bike (with many cheap unbranded components) that shows this inside the BB shell :roll:

Now, this is somewhat an unfair comparison, as it's an "expensive" frame from a top builder. You can see how the brass should flow all the way inside the lugs (let alone the mitering of the tubing)

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I can't help feel that "modern lugged frame" is an oxymoron. A modern frame will be welded not lugged. There are still some people making good, traditional lugged frames, but they tend to be expensive, for a reason.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

re the BB shell brazing; the comparison is flawed in that

a) one BB shell is pressed and the other is investment cast; something would have gone horribly wrong if there was a fillet of braze metal filling the available space in the former shell.... :wink: and

b) the bike in question has a TIG welded BB assy anyway.

The latter point shows that the lugged build is probably just for looks. Doesn't sit right with a unicrown fork etc though.

BTW the fork may or may not be stiff and horrible; it all depends on the wall thickness of the tubing at various points. Having said that, one that looks like that and has a disc mount on it is odds-on likely to be stiffer than I'd like....

cheers