Park Tool Chain Whip

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Annoying Twit

Re: Park Tool Chain Whip

Post by Annoying Twit »

Mick F wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote:EDIT: Oh, a method of removing the cog without a chainwhip and without a vice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qIVEpyelP0 They leave the wheel on the bike, sort of bunch up the chain, and then use the entire bike as a chainwhip.
That's clever.
I wonder if it could be simplified by not removing the chain from the chainwheel and instead positively stopping the cranks from turning. Spanner across the chainstays in front of the wheel?

I would have given it a try if I hadn't already swapped to a new chain. However, it appears that I will need the vice to remove the freewheel in any case, despite having the proper tool.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Mick F wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote:EDIT: Oh, a method of removing the cog without a chainwhip and without a vice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qIVEpyelP0 They leave the wheel on the bike, sort of bunch up the chain, and then use the entire bike as a chainwhip.
That's clever.
I wonder if it could be simplified by not removing the chain from the chainwheel and instead positively stopping the cranks from turning. Spanner across the chainstays in front of the wheel?

Best ways to scratch or dent the frame! :?
A better way could be to get two friends holding the bike and a 1mt pole larger than the cranks, remove the Lh pedal and wrap two rags on the Lh crank, insert the pole and turn it towards the back wheel. Goes without saying that everything has to be kept well steady and the chain tensioned
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, sounds better.
Mick F. Cornwall
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I finally got around to removing the bits from the wheel.

The trick of putting the fixed cog directly into the vice held by two teeth each side and turning the wheel worked extremely well once I'd figured out which way to turn the wheel. The sprocket does not look damaged in any way.

An angle grinder makes short work of removing old spokes. However, even then I had to hammer out some of the spoke stubs to get them out of the rim.

I now have the hub with fixed sprocket and freewheel removed and all in usable condition, the rim which is the ugliest thing ever but still looks usable, a set of Halo stainless spokes, and a completely virgin Park Tools wheel truing stand. I'm rebuilding this wheel at minimal cost to use as a spare wheel only.

BTW: I've been warned about breaking vices with too much force. It turns out that my freewheel removal tool will break before the vice does. Please don't ask me for more details on how I know this.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've broken a couple of vices.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If it's the heavy duty quarter circle and tubular handled professional model, I can't get on with them myself. It needs to be used on one of the larger sprockets to get a useful angle on the handle and to have enough chain draped around the sprocket not to slip, but I think that it copes less well with worn sprockets than straight designs that can be wrapped further around around a smaller sprocket