Park Tool Chain Whip

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Valbrona

Park Tool Chain Whip

Post by Valbrona »

Any reason not to like one of these before I buy one?

I should coco.
SimonCelsa

Re: Park Tool Chain Whip

Post by SimonCelsa »

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... rd|31722UK

that's one reason, never used that one but it gets good reviews.

Whichever one you plump for try not to twist it when using as it is quite easy to damage the chain...but equally fairly easy to repair using a bit of spare chain.

All the best, Simon
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

SimonCelsa wrote:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-chain-whip/rp-prod10184?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sof6F3GCv_dc|pcrid|161850070953|pkw||pmt||prd|31722UK

that's one reason, never used that one but it gets good reviews.

Whichever one you plump for try not to twist it when using as it is quite easy to damage the chain...but equally fairly easy to repair using a bit of spare chain.

All the best, Simon

You get what you pay for: I've bent several of those cheap chain whips.
Note how the Park Tool has a round shape to go around the sprocket, and is a thick forged that I reckon is impossible to bend in use. Its round handle also makes for fitting a pipe for extra-leverage when removing stubborn sprockets (like track tandems!)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Valbrona wrote:Any reason not to like one of these before I buy one?

if you like a good tool, why not? A bit overkill for the average home mechanic, but will last a lifetime. Buy today, keep forever. A very different approach form today's standards of "buy today, throw in the bin after a few times of hard use"
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

OP....

If that's the Park SR2.2 then I have one and it's a fine tool.

It is SO much better than the cheaper ones. By 'better' I mean that it even makes removing Rohloff sprockets a doddle....a really good chain whip is vital for that job, don't even think about it with a cheap chain whip.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Whilst fully agreeing with your comments Gattonero I am in no way a professional bike mechanic. I must remove cassettes from freehubs perhaps 3 or 4 times a year. Hence, cheap and cheerful usually does me for many a year. The money saved can go on more important things like Guinness!! My current chainwhip was even cheaper than the CRC offering and is manufactured of pressed steel, absolute kak really but it just about does the job,

All the best, Simon
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

SimonCelsa wrote:Whilst fully agreeing with your comments Gattonero I am in no way a professional bike mechanic. I must remove cassettes from freehubs perhaps 3 or 4 times a year. Hence, cheap and cheerful usually does me for many a year. The money saved can go on more important things like Guinness!! My current chainwhip was even cheaper than the CRC offering and is manufactured of pressed steel, absolute kak really but it just about does the job,

All the best, Simon

For removing cassettes you can spend £0.0 by making your own. A Chain-whip is the easiest tool to make: a bar of steel, two M3 bolts, a length of used chain that's not too worn. Put some used bar tape on the handle for extra-comfort 8)

The one in the OP is not just a "chain whip" for cassettes, it is actually made for removing threaded sprockets, and it does remove even the most stubborn ones where other chain-whips would fail and be potentially dangerous for the operator :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Make your own.
Simple.

I made these maybe thirty years ago. I needed two to dismantle my Suntour 6sp freewheel sprockets.
Chainwhips.jpeg
Chainwhips.jpeg (14.6 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Far too complicated, that's why I am still running my 6 speed maillard block!!

All the best, Simon
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

SimonCelsa wrote:Far too complicated, that's why I am still running my 6 speed maillard block!!

All the best, Simon

Nothing can be easier than a single sprocket :wink:

Btw, a very good chain whip is the Shimano, the lockring hook is pretty good. Not cheap, but worth the money for the one that goes often at the velodrome.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod23266
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

OTOH I invested in a pair of park cassette pliers a couple of years ago which made my chain whip redundant! No slipping chain, cursing, scraped knuckles just success every time I want to remove a cassette. It might only get used occasionally but it'll outlast me i'm sure so the investment will have paid for itself handsomely.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the park tool chain whip is a good design, overkill for removing cassettes (esp where the lockring was never tightened fully, which is depressingly commonplace) and it is x10 better than most chain whips. I can't think of a better commercial tool offhand, and it comes with a good warranty.

But....IMHO it still isn't good enough for really obstinate fixed gear sprockets. For these something better (probably a double-ended chain whip) is probably required. I have a plan to make such a thing; several LBSs (which have have expressed an interest in not having to hammer/angle-grind sprockets off if they can avoid it) who routinely work on fixed gear bikes that see real hammer have a desire for such a thing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I only need a chain whip for cassettes and so many moons ago I bought a Tacx one,it was cheap and its functionality has never come into question.
IMO cheap does the job,cassette pliers and the Parktool whip in the OP are IMO overkill for that purpose unless used daily.
My 2d's worth.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Brucey wrote:...
But....IMHO it still isn't good enough for really obstinate fixed gear sprockets. For these something better (probably a double-ended chain whip) is probably required. I have a plan to make such a thing; several LBSs (which have have expressed an interest in not having to hammer/angle-grind sprockets off if they can avoid it) who routinely work on fixed gear bikes that see real hammer have a desire for such a thing.

cheers

As long as the chain can loop well over the sprocket and stay safe, Almost always is enough to carefully sit on the wheel and use a 31.6 seatpost for additional leverage.

There is also the option of a "closed loop" short whip to go in the vice, though requires a very strong vice and bench!
drossall

Post by drossall »

I got fed up with my cheap chain whip, which bent without removing my fixed sprocket. I've bought a new one - I think it was this one - much cheaper than the Shimano. Looks good. However, by the time it arrived I had borrowed one from my son-in-law to deal with the recalcitrant sprocket, so it may be some time before I get to try it out.