Who loves Pedersen cycles?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cyril Haearn

Who loves Pedersen cycles?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Saw a Pedersen cycle again today, there are a couple in town at least

Anyone here use one? If so why, if not why not?

Diolch :)
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 10 Nov 2017, 1:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Brucey

Re: Who loves Pedersen cycles? ..

Post by Brucey »

I have an interest in them, but I don't currently own one; I've promised myself that the next one will be one I have built myself.

Mikael Pedersen invented his special bicycle saddle when he discovered that 'normal' bicycle saddles didn't agree with him. His bicycle came later when he realised that his saddle was best integrated into the entire bicycle rather than stuck onto a single post. His concept was that his bicycle would 'be like walking, but faster', more or less, hence the upright riding position. Pedersen started cycling when recuperating from a serious illness and he soon found that he could ride for a hundred miles in a day, were it not for the comfort issue.

It is interesting to note that his bicycles had claimed weights back then which were pretty good by today's standards. He reckoned to average about 12mph which was pretty good on the roads as they were back then. At those speeds the additional burden of the upright position's poor aerodynamics is perhaps not great.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I rode one once; supremely comfortable.
The three speed model wouldn't be much good around here though. :roll:

Let's hope Greybeard reappears and tells us all about his lovely machine.

fausto.
Trebor

Post by Trebor »

Dursley Pedersons were also famous for their hub gear: 2 or 3 speed, with 50% steps between each gear. Check out the gear tables in the first link and the potential of a 146 inch top gear while keeping a 66 inch bottom or a 38-84 inch if gearing low. The Gents 3 speed No. 4 Cantilever Standard model was geared 50, 75, 112.

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/index.p ... Itemid=275

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1911-2/191 ... o-4-gents/

There were 8 frame sizes - to cater for inside leg measurements of 27.5 - 38 inches.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1909-1911/ ... ree-speed/

During its heyday, the Dursley-Pedersen machine was a world-beater; ridden by Harry "Goss" Green, one of the great cyclists of the early 20th century, it notched up record times for the classic London-Brighton, Portsmouth, Liverpool and York runs. When did he switch to Raleigh?

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/index.p ... Itemid=270
Suffolker

Post by Suffolker »

I had one of Chris Margenout's Cheltenham Pedersens (of about 300 or so), which was built bespoke for me in 1983 (-ish?).
I fitted it out myself with Campag hubs, Huret Duopar Titanium etc.,and it was the best upright machine I've ever ridden ( my regular cycle was a bespoke Mercian tourer at the time).
I could almost lift it with a finger, and it was very fast.
Post-millenium, I acquired a back problem, and getting aboard and off wasn't so easy. I sold it about 4 years ago to a real enthusiast in Cambridge, by which time I'd changed it to a vintage SA wheelset with 3speed, dynamo etc.
I loved it beyond all reason,and wish sometimes I still had it.
If you get the chance to ride one, take it.
The Margenout version is superb, but I've heard from people who've had others that they didn't always meet expectations.
I keep an eye on what's what with these,and there are now many variants to suit most tastes and needs.
They certainly turn heads, and I don't think many "ride away" thieves would go for them.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[youtube]DeyKeIKyc10[/youtube]

even tandems

must say looks like the only way to tour ( on flat ground ) looks very civilised
Towards the end they stop at an open air cycle museum -I didnt know the penny farthing cycle brake was a metal pad that acted on the tyre road surface

A very nice video
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I've used it a couple of times.

In town, with frequent stops, with the lack of a saddle to top tube height gap, I found I nearly castrated myself a few times :oops:
Also it's very upright, essentially you're cycling with the body in a complete straight line. Not only I could not get a good workout, it's also pretty bad for the ones like me with a bad lower back: 100% of the upper body weight stays on the lumbar vertebrae, which results in pain.
And with headwind you really want a motor assist :lol:
No thanks,though I can praise the concept and effort from the original designer.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the original concept (which not all modern versions adhere to) used a low BB height and included mounting pegs, e.g. on the rear hub.

cheers
Suffolker

Post by Suffolker »

Gattonero wrote:I've used it a couple of times.

In town, with frequent stops, with the lack of a saddle to top tube height gap, I found I nearly castrated myself a few times :oops:
Also it's very upright, essentially you're cycling with the body in a complete straight line. Not only I could not get a good workout, it's also pretty bad for the ones like me with a bad lower back: 100% of the upper body weight stays on the lumbar vertebrae, which results in pain.
No thanks,though I can praise the concept and effort from the original designer.

It certainly isn't too handy for stop-starts. With a back problem, I found it pretty comfortable once aboard, but getting there wasn't easy. I'm pretty sure I've seen comments in the past, saying how good the riding posture is for backs.

I can't say I found windage to be any more problematic than riding any cycle with other than drops. I have seen a German-made Pedersen where the handlebar is somehow attached to the front forks well below the top of the headset, which I guess is intended to produce a dropped-bar riding style. To my eye, it ruined the look of the machine, and seemed to make for a really uncomfortable position.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Suffolker wrote:
Gattonero wrote:I've used it a couple of times.

It certainly isn't too handy for stop-starts. With a back problem, I found it pretty comfortable once aboard, but getting there wasn't easy. I'm pretty sure I've seen comments in the past, saying how good the riding posture is for backs.

I can't say I found windage to be any more problematic than riding any cycle with other than drops. I have seen a German-made Pedersen where the handlebar is somehow attached to the front forks well below the top of the headset, which I guess is intended to produce a dropped-bar riding style. To my eye, it ruined the look of the machine, and seemed to make for a really uncomfortable position.

IIRC, the one I rode was from Kemper.

Regarding back problems, there is this common mith that the higher the bars and the more upright you are, it become heaven.
It is not. People like me, with a little amount of scoliosis and reduced mobility in the lumbar area (but good mobility in the other sections of the spine), to have 100% of the upper body weight resting on the lower back only, it is very detrimental. I.e., people like me don't like to stand up in the same posotion for too long. So when riding a bicycle, it is mandatory for me to balance the weight between hands and saddle. Dutch bikes are practical in town but don't work for me.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

vintage racing pedersens had the handlebars fixed to the fork part way up and some modern designs (sort of) reproduce this feature

This machine appears to have a lowered top mount vs other machines with a similar saddle height, perhaps in view of the somewhat disconcertingly close headset otherwise, very close to one's chest. I'd worry about getting that lot in the face or chest, in the event of a prang.

BITD Pedersen made a special racing machine (for a record breaking attempt) that weighed just 14lbs (~6.3kg). Stuff that up yer UCI weight limit, why not.... :wink:

cheers
Trebor

Post by Trebor »

Some of the early RRA records (see previous post) were set by Harry "Goss" Green on a Pederson that was also fitted with a Bricknell Auxiliary hand gear:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/62/9a/b0 ... 23034d.jpg

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/8/ ... t-p25b.jpg

http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/n ... ibrary.pdf

http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/n ... ibrary.jpg

Reciprocating handlebars with added front wheel drive! :)
Suffolker

Post by Suffolker »

This is mine, just before it went away. The silver tube on the rear saddle downtube is the mount on which to clamp the front changer in its derailleur configuration. In almost 30 years of ownership, I still hadn't got around to applying the red Cheltenham Pedersen decals.

Main_Pedersen 04-10-2012 13-10-22 (Small).JPG

aPedersen_1_2.jpg
gxaustin

Re: Who loves Pedersen cycles?

Post by gxaustin »

A friend of mine has two Perdersens. One is standard and the other was converted by his father to have two front wheels to make a trike.
Suffolker

Re: Who loves Pedersen cycles?

Post by Suffolker »

gxaustin wrote:A friend of mine has two Perdersens. One is standard and the other was converted by his father to have two front wheels to make a trike.

I should think the trike version is quite something to see.

One thing I found is that, even with the wheels and cranks removed, and in absence of suitable external racks, it was an awkward and difficult thing to stow inside an average small estate car. The chap who bought mine had to hire a small van specially to collect it.