Anyone Wearing Neck Warmers /Buff?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Anyone Wearing Neck Warmers /Buff?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
borisface wrote:This is a disgrace of a forum. Everyone agrees. :lol:

Buffs are rubbish. Save your money.

Nah not really I have about half a dozen and even wear them about the house. I reckon they are probably worth a layer of clothing on the bike.

I don't even know what a buff is, could be a color or an american word for an enthusiast?

Whatever they are, wearing one indoors is good, better than using the heating

Any photos? Diolch

They are basically a tube of material.
They can be worn in a huge variety of ways...

Just google them
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I dont need one as my Ex Army Softie that cost me £25 has a high insulated collar :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Apropos of nothing, "Buff" is a trade name for what I used to call "snoods" when I was wearing them to fish in winter.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Wore my thin buff on Sunday, It was cold, I got snowed on.
Folding them into 3, so I have a 3 layer tube around my neck works best for me, especially the winter one with the fleece. Fleece on the inside sandwiched between the thin material, as I find fleece quite itchy next to the skin. It has to be quite cold to wear a winter Buff cycling, but I wear it all the time winter mountaineering
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
nez

Post by nez »

mjr wrote:
rotavator wrote: In the winter I use one under my helmet to keep my ears and the top of me head warm.

Many helmet makers say not to do that because it makes the helmet more likely to move in a crash, negating the impact protection zone or worse. It's about as bad as wearing a helmet with chinstrap dangling or at a jaunty angle like Boris. I suspect it's better not to use a helmet than to wear it badly.

What about wigs? Or plain baldies? I've a feeling the helmet makers want it all ways round.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Any photos? Diolch
The bit with the flames on....
Attachments
ColdWeatherMikeSml.jpg
"42"
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I have a woolly tube someone knitted me.
Works great.

I also have a couple of 'genuine' buffs that were freebies. They're ok but a bit thin imo.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I always wear one but in colder weather I additionally use a fleece scarf/tube hybrid closed loop with a mesh section (with deliberate weak point*):

This means its forms either a narrow fleece tube or a wide fleece and mesh tube/loop---

when cold the fleece is closed up into a neck warmer by velcro but when too warm I open the velcro then wear the expanded loop like a bandolier to avoid faffing stuffing it into a pocket somewhere.

*so as it snaps rather than strangles me in the event of an adverse event.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

nez dans le guidon wrote:
mjr wrote:
rotavator wrote: In the winter I use one under my helmet to keep my ears and the top of me head warm.

Many helmet makers say not to do that because it makes the helmet more likely to move in a crash, negating the impact protection zone or worse. It's about as bad as wearing a helmet with chinstrap dangling or at a jaunty angle like Boris. I suspect it's better not to use a helmet than to wear it badly.

What about wigs? Or plain baldies? I've a feeling the helmet makers want it all ways round.

As well as telling you not to wear them on top of a cap or hood, Specialized also tell you not to wear their helmets on bundled hairstyles. It's in the middle of page 2 of http://service.specialized.com/collater ... Manual.pdf - I doubt they're the only one, but you should probably check your own user manuals.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Andy3460

Post by Andy3460 »

mjr wrote:
nez dans le guidon wrote:
mjr wrote:Many helmet makers say not to do that because it makes the helmet more likely to move in a crash, negating the impact protection zone or worse. It's about as bad as wearing a helmet with chinstrap dangling or at a jaunty angle like Boris. I suspect it's better not to use a helmet than to wear it badly.

As well as telling you not to wear them on top of a cap or hood, Specialized also tell you not to wear their helmets on bundled hairstyles. It's in the middle of page 2 of http://service.specialized.com/collater ... Manual.pdf - I doubt they're the only one, but you should probably check your own user manuals.
I have very little hair, (eggshell blonde,) and in cold weather wear a buff under my helmet.

I would say that there is less between my scalp and helmet than there would have been when I had a full head of hair, and I am 100% certain that in the event of a crash the helmet wouldn't come off before impact with the ground.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using hovercraft full of eels.
nez

Post by nez »

The only place my hair is going to bundle is on my feet.