Anyone Wearing Neck Warmers /Buff?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TrevA

Re: Anyone Wearing Neck Warmers /Buff?

Post by TrevA »

They do keep your neck and chin warm at this time of year and can be pulled up over the mouth and nose when it's really cold.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm definitely a convert. I never had one before I lived in Norway. Now I have a half dozen.

I use a merino one around my neck and, when needed, over my lower face. And cotton-lycra blend one over my head, under a cap or helmet, depending on what I'm wearing. I mostly use the head one to keep my ears warm. I can hear through it better that a wooly hat.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
borisface

Post by borisface »

This is a disgrace of a forum. Everyone agrees. :lol:

Buffs are rubbish. Save your money.

Nah not really I have about half a dozen and even wear them about the house. I reckon they are probably worth a layer of clothing on the bike.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Fishermen use them in the tropics for uv protection too. Funnily enough I don't like wearing them there, but happily wear them in the UK.
itaa

Post by itaa »

Very cool, Thanks guys :D Ordered some cheapo one to test it out, Than I realised I have a sewing machine and I can just buy some good merino/cashmere sweater from local thriftshops for a few coins and make my own merino buffs for nothing :D
1 XL sweater should be enough to make at least 3 or 4.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You'd find them way too warm in anything short of Arctic conditions if you cut up wooly jumpers :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You soon learn riding motorcycles all year round.
Wind cuts in deep unless there is something wind proof to stop it , even something thin will do.

I used to wear a scarf under my motorcycle jacket, drafts galore, then discover a balaclava but it don't stay put under the jacket.
This was days before fleeces, I wonder why polo jumpers were the rage with bikers.
Got my sister to make some fleece jumpers with necks :)

Cycling is just the same.
Moded my cycling jacket so the neck will stay up as material is flimsy.
Balaclava has poppers at rear neck to match ones I sewed onto cycling jersey, no more drafts :D

No idea why winter cycling gear does not have good necks, I know that some probably do.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I rarely wear a neck/mouth/nose buff as it has to be really very cold but I do use one of these as a hat when it gets close to zero or it rains http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polaris-New-2 ... b_WsunD5Tw
Si

Post by Si »

Ive loads of british cycling ones that i use when its not too cold as they are just thin material....plug the gaps and keep the chills out. When it gets proper cold i switch to my woolly ctc christmas buff, which is toasty warm. Only problrm ihave with them is that they can make it difficult to zip a high coat collar all the way up.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:Ive loads of british cycling ones that i use when its not too cold as they are just thin material....plug the gaps and keep the chills out. When it gets proper cold i switch to my woolly ctc christmas buff, which is toasty warm. Only problrm ihave with them is that they can make it difficult to zip a high coat collar all the way up.

Put them over the collar to encourage the rain to wick down the outside.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Way to warm.
However I do occasionally use a thin balaclava. Better hat that a buff and works well worn backwards. Pulling it down below your eyes helps!
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Yes! I wear one. Although it started life as an acrylic knit beanie hat. I just undid the stitch at the top and it unravelled into a tube :-)
dragonrider

Post by dragonrider »

mjr wrote:
rotavator wrote: In the winter I use one under my helmet to keep my ears and the top of me head warm.

Many helmet makers say not to do that because it makes the helmet more likely to move in a crash, negating the impact protection zone or worse. It's about as bad as wearing a helmet with chinstrap dangling or at a jaunty angle like Boris. I suspect it's better not to use a helmet than to wear it badly.

Interesting that because it appears counter to my experience. I wear a buff in winter, the type with the fleece band that I fit around my ears and forehead. Putting the helmet over it with a snug fit actually makes it far less easy to move and the whole buff/helmet sits very securely. I will continue in this mode because apart from anything else my big flappy years would get frostbite without a buff!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

borisface wrote:This is a disgrace of a forum. Everyone agrees. :lol:

Buffs are rubbish. Save your money.

Nah not really I have about half a dozen and even wear them about the house. I reckon they are probably worth a layer of clothing on the bike.

I don't even know what a buff is, could be a color or an american word for an enthusiast?

Whatever they are, wearing one indoors is good, better than using the heating

Any photos? Diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

For the midwinter early morning commutes, it's a cycling balaclava all the way. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-balaclava-3 ... 8000139422
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....