Anyone Wearing Neck Warmers /Buff?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
itaa

Anyone Wearing Neck Warmers /Buff?

Post by itaa »

was cycling tonight and the chill really got my face/neck area finally.
Thinking about getting one of those neck warmers/buff's , has anyone wore one? How are they? are they actually useful or just a gimmick?
a cheap one can be had for like £2 , while a good merino is about £20 ( btw I really love my other merino stuff so wouldn't hestitate paying 10x more if I also get superior performance ).
Are the cheap ones decent/good for the odd time or ?
maybe a suggestion for something nice & Good quality?
belgiangoth

Re: Anyone Wearing Neck Warmers /Buff?

Post by belgiangoth »

Used them for years, upgraded to merino and on cold days I wear two at the same time. Keep you warm and less flappy than a scarf.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have them, not nearly cold enough for me to use them yet - they are very effective (even the really thin ones), my ‘polar’ one is almost never used (my wife uses it occasionally)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I don't think merino's worth the premium over eBay Chinese synthetics for this garment tbh
gaz

Post by gaz »

I have a genuine Buff, and a couple of Aldi versions. All good, Aldi versions are little thinner.

My Polar Buff might come out in deepest winter, if there's sleet/snow forecast.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's just got cold enough for me to start wearing my thin ones as a face mask, about 6°c. A few degrees colder and I will wear one with some thinsulate instead. They've mostly replaced scarves for me.

Most of the year I carry a thin buff to use in case it turns unexpectedly cold, or to wear as a hat or extra layer if the hat I've taken isn't right for the conditions or gets soaked through or whatever. They pack down so small and are pretty versatile.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've lost count of the number of buffs I have but I've only bought two, all the rest were freebies with magazines. One I've cut in half lengthways and it fits under my helmet when the weather permits wearing it.
Debs

Post by Debs »

I have a genuine Buff in sexy leopard print which is practical and great for posing, and may get used very soon looking at the weather forecast.
But it's not been cold enough yet, i prefer to wear a short silky scarf at intermediate temps so i can easily remove it if i warms up too much, like you can do after half an hour or so into the ride.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I work outside and neck warmers really add a bit of warmth. Good for winter rides. I have Buff, merino and a posh AUK one.

That said, I’m still working and cycling in shorts.

Not yesterday though: Whilst pruning a fig tree for a client, I snagged my shorts on a branch and left them behind up in the tree. Lucky I was wearing my best pair of red, striped kecks. Client was rolling around on the lawn laughing. I earned my bacon roll and cup of tea.

Fashioned myself a tiny mini skirt from the remains of my shorts and disappeared pronto.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

if anyone ever suffers from neuralgia they are a must, the pain is not worth it and its possible to buy a merino one on ebay for less than a tenner.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I have quite a few and most were given away by a supermarket celebrating its tenth anniversary. They are all synthetic and I wouldn't pay extra for a merino one.

On hot summer days (remember them?) I wear one on the top of my head to keep the sweat out of my eyes when ascending long hills. In the winter I use one under my helmet to keep my ears and the top of me head warm. On a really cold day I would also wear one round my neck to keep the draughts out.

Overal a lightweight, useful bit of kit that I would recommend.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Indispensable bit of kit. I must have at least 6 of varying makes and 1 polar buff. Needs to be extremely cold to wear the polar one though. I also doubt whether merino is needed in a buff as they work well as they are.
Be careful when you take one off and put it in your back pocket. Roadsides are a good place to source one :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I work outside and neck warmers really add a bit of warmth. Good for winter rides. I have Buff, merino and a posh AUK one.

That said, I’m still working and cycling in shorts.

Not yesterday though: Whilst pruning a fig tree for a client, I snagged my shorts on a branch and left them behind up in the tree. Lucky I was wearing my best pair of red, striped kecks. Client was rolling around on the lawn laughing. I earned my bacon roll and cup of tea.

Fashioned myself a tiny mini skirt from the remains of my shorts and disappeared pronto.

I suggest you in your mini, and Debs in her sexy leopard print buff might like to meet for photos and maybe more, as the saying goes :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

rotavator wrote: In the winter I use one under my helmet to keep my ears and the top of me head warm.

Many helmet makers say not to do that because it makes the helmet more likely to move in a crash, negating the impact protection zone or worse. It's about as bad as wearing a helmet with chinstrap dangling or at a jaunty angle like Boris. I suspect it's better not to use a helmet than to wear it badly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

itaa wrote:was cycling tonight and the chill really got my face/neck area finally.
Thinking about getting one of those neck warmers/buff's , has anyone wore one? How are they? are they actually useful or just a gimmick?
a cheap one can be had for like £2 , while a good merino is about £20 ( btw I really love my other merino stuff so wouldn't hestitate paying 10x more if I also get superior performance ).
Are the cheap ones decent/good for the odd time or ?
maybe a suggestion for something nice & Good quality?

dont we used to call them scarves? :oops: