Custom 9 speed 12-32 cassette?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Custom 9 speed 12-32 cassette?

Post by Brucey »

NetworkMan wrote:I'm in the same position as I'm starting to dislike the 18-21 jump on my 11-32 and the 11T always was too small. Has anyone made a 12-32 or 13-32 recently?

Thanks Manc33 for pointing out the the HG200 11-32 9 speed is different! That was a revelation since I'd assumed that all Shimano xx-yy 9 speeds would have the same intermediate ratios. Are there any other oddities like this?

there are, but I'm dashed if I can remember them all. For example if you want one particular sprocket size (in the low twenties) you won't find it in any shimano cassette, but BBB do one with that sprocket size.

FWIW I have set up more than one touring bike with a 7s freehub body and a shortened HG200 9s cassette; the 11T sprocket is basically useless anyway and it goes in the bin, leaving a 'compact 8' cassette with good ratios that will work on 9s index shifting or (of course) friction shifting.

FWIW if you shorten most modern cassettes, the second smallest sprocket usually has serrations on it too, so that it can be used with the appropriate sized lockring. If you use the original (small diameter) lockring, it often bears against a smooth part of said sprocket, in which case tighten as normal, but use a few drops of threadlock on the lockring.

in general terms if you buy a cassette with more sprockets on it, you are likely to get some combination of

- more smaller sprockets or
- a larger low gear sprocket

The third possibility, which is to have more sprockets in the midrange with closer/more consistent intervals, is the least likely thing you will find, but is often the most useful thing for a touring bike with a triple chainset....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BigFoz

Re: Custom 9 speed 12-32 cassette?

Post by BigFoz »

All my cassettes are custom. I split every cassette into sprockets and make them up as I want. My TT bike for example, runs either a 12-23 9 speed, or a 12-14-15-16-17-18-21-24-27 for Tris which are generally more hilly. Reality is that even a 53/16 is going 42kph at 100rpm, and 53/12 at the same rpm is 56kph. I generally only use the 12 downhill as I'm getting a bit old now and my arthritic knee can't hack big gears / low rpm. Most of my other bikes are running 3x9s, with 53/39/30 and usually a 13-26 rear end, but with a modified midrange, I like that 15-19 single step mid range.