Suitable Mudguards for a 2017 Cannondale Synapse

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sloucher

Suitable Mudguards for a 2017 Cannondale Synapse

Post by Sloucher »

As the subject suggests, I'm looking for a set of mudguards that would be suitable for fitting on my 2017 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc. I emphasise the 2017 because the 2018 models now come with mudguard eyelets, something the earlier models didn't have.

I've used Crud RoadRacer Mk3 on a different bike and they served me (fairly) well, but there's no way their attachment method will work with the oddly twisted design of the Cannondale's rear stays (I know, I've tried!)

Without going to the expense of continually buying sets of mudguards and having to return them, has anyone else found a pair suitable?
robgul

Re: Suitable Mudguards for a 2017 Cannondale Synapse

Post by robgul »

In the bike shop where I work I fitted a pair of ordinary 28/700c SKS narrow mudguards* to one of those bikes - it wasn't a 2018 machine but did have drillings on the dropouts.

I had to make "extended bolts" to clear the disc caliper and make a longer bolt from studding and a dome nut to cope with the thicker than normal fork crown. I'm not sure (I've fitted loads of mudguards in the last month) but I may have had to drill the mudguards for the bolts to go into the rear stay and brake bridges - using pan-head bolts. Guards were a tight fit but worked.

* can't remember precisely which ones

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Debs

Post by Debs »

I used to have a 2015 ultegra carbon disc Synapse and have experienced the faff and failure to fit a horrid pair of flimsy Crud Road Racer Mk2.

The problems with the Synapse disc is no mudguard fixing at the folks which may mean a very messy zip tie wrap-around the folk crown to secure a front mudguard, and the front shifter cable that runs under the bottom bracket that is bang in the way for any proper full length rear mudguard.

However what does look like an excellent idea [if a bit compromised] is SKS RaceBlades which don't rely on mudguard eye fixings. They are compromised by not being full length; the rear only goes as far as up to the seat tube instead of going all the way down to below bottom bracket, and the front goes up to the folk under crown but not right under and though. They look a good idea for awkward fit bikes with discs and have a major advantage of being fairly quick release for frequent bike cleaning sessions. They are fairly light weigh too.

Sloucher

Post by Sloucher »

Many thanks for the suggestions robgul and Debs.

robgul - was the bike you fitted the SKS mudguards to a carbon frame? My frame certainly doesn't have any drillings on the dropouts, or anywhere else! There is a small bridgepiece in between the rear stays just above the tyre, but it doesn't have any hole in it either.

Debs - I must admit, I did consider the Race Blades on a recent visit to an Evans store, but it seemed to me that the bracing pieces that rest on the rear stays would also have the same problem as I have with the Crud RoadRace Mk3 because of the peculiar way the rear stays twist. They don't present a single flat/curved face to any mounting system.
Can I ask what problems you had with the Crud Mk2s? I had them on my other bike, a carbon Mekk Poggio and they worked quite well right up until when I broke the rear one trying to traverse a bramble bush - inverted (don't ask, the memory is too painful!!). I couldn't source any Mk2s at the time to replace them so used the Mk3. Not as good in my opinion, but they do a sort of job so long as I keep stopping to realign them. Much preferred the Mk2s, but as I say, no one seems to have stock of them any more.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

BBB Mudguards from SPA .... they fit on the brake bridge / calliper ..... good kit.

Front and rear available.... on my BTwin ... top kit ...

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-BFD-21R-Ro ... gJTcfD_BwE
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
dragonrider

Post by dragonrider »

Watch out for toe overlap if fitting mudguards to a carbon road frame. The Synapse has fairly relaxed geometry so it may be ok. Nasty accidents can happen when feet catch mudguards.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Sloucher wrote:Debs - I must admit, I did consider the Race Blades on a recent visit to an Evans store, but it seemed to me that the bracing pieces that rest on the rear stays would also have the same problem as I have with the Crud RoadRace Mk3 because of the peculiar way the rear stays twist. They don't present a single flat/curved face to any mounting system.
Can I ask what problems you had with the Crud Mk2s? I had them on my other bike, a carbon Mekk Poggio and they worked quite well right up until when I broke the rear one trying to traverse a bramble bush - inverted (don't ask, the memory is too painful!!). I couldn't source any Mk2s at the time to replace them so used the Mk3. Not as good in my opinion, but they do a sort of job so long as I keep stopping to realign them. Much preferred the Mk2s, but as I say, no one seems to have stock of them any more.

The main issues i had with the Cruds is far too much flimsy flappy flexibility and the way they can easily twist and slap against the wheel, and also not generous enough clearance even for 700x23 tyres, and the 700x28 tyres i prefer these days are definitely not going to fit. Although some blame goes to my old Trek SL1000 - albeit a fantastic entry level bike and new for just 450 quid of decade ago but with only one little niggle: the seat-stay bridge is too darn close to the tyre so ANY mudguard becomes too close, around 2mm clearance with 700x23 which is not enough for typical wet road grit, and the first clods of mud tend to clog up at the brake callipers :x

IMO a good mudguard design [for a Synapse type bike] should allow at least 10mm clearance between inside mudguard and tyre crown. Plus a bonus feature of being quickly released for periodic cleaning sessions. I have found that many well engineered full length mudguards can be fine on wet roads but do tend to get in the way of cleaning, maintenance, and not to mention fixing punctures; which include the puncture you wouldn't have got if you had quick release mudguards to allow tyre cleaning and checking more easy. :)
Last edited by Debs on 13 Nov 2017, 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

I fitted SKS Raceblades to a 2017 Ultegra Disc model. This was a very easy job and they fit well. The only (slight) issue is that they are not full length so the bike gets a bit dirty around the BB, but I stay clean. I don't think there are any realistic alternatives and would recommend these.
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

PS - I had a rear wheel puncture and the SKS did not cause any problems with a roadside repair.
Sloucher

Post by Sloucher »

Thanks again guys

landsurfer unfortunately the BBB mudguards mount using the brake caliper pivot bolts, and my bike is the disc brake version - no mounting hole on the bridges

Debs yeah, I have to agree with the Mk2 flippity flappy bit - I'd forgotten about that!

shadwellrhino I might have to look again at the SKS RaceBlades then. I'll have to take the bike to the nearest lbs that stocks them and offer them up. Which model of RaceBlades did you use? Seems the only model that might fit doesn't have any protection for behind the seat tube. May be able to use the remains of my old Crud mk2 rear mudguard to fill that gap though :?

I'll let the forum know what transpires :)
Debs

Post by Debs »

Sloucher wrote:
......Seems the only model that might fit doesn't have any protection for behind the seat tube. Maybe able to use the remains of my old Crud mk2 rear mudguard to fill that gap though :?

Using a part of the old Cruds to fashion behind seat tube won't work easy because the Synapse has an exceedingly awkward positioned front-mech cable bang in the way behind the bottom bracket :(

Incidentally, couple of years ago i purchased a pair of SKS race blades XL for my Synapse but didn't get around to fit them: long-story-short had bike-fit issues with my 54cm Synapse so traded it in for a 52cm Trek Silque. My new Trek Silque uses brake callipers with blocks and is a great fun mudguard free summer bike, it's going into hibernation very soon! :D

Although i can't talk from experience of actual use i can confirm the feel of quality of the SKS RaceBlades is really excellent, nothing flimsy floppy about them. I've kept mine handy for when i buy a disc bike for wet weather & winter use within the next month or so.

My trusty old kitchen scales show the Crud mk2s are way under 200grams and the SKS RaceBlades XL are way over 400 grams.
The extra weight of the SKS means far more engineered rigidity. They look a thousand times better too 8)
Sloucher

Post by Sloucher »

Well, my LBS has some standard RaceBlade Pros in stock, so I'll ride there later this week to trial fit some. If it seems do-able, I'll get them to order me in some Pro XLs.

As to using the old Crud rear mudguard (front part), on trial fitting it I think I can accommodate the front mech by making a slot in the mudguard, where indicated on the photo, as the cable is protected by a sleeve there.

slot.jpg

As they say - watch this space :)
Daniel B

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Sloucher,

what did you end up doing with this - any pictures please?

I have a 2016 model, with a similar puzzle to solve!