Cyclo Spoke Threader question(s)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
olive

Cyclo Spoke Threader question(s)

Post by olive »

Does anyone know if the 14g cyclo spoke threading head will work to thread 15g spokes? The spoke diameters are not significantly different (14g = 2mm, 15g = 1.8mm). Since the head is adjustable, I wonder if they didn't produce a 15g head because the 14g is close enough and works.

I've attempted to figure out who produces the Cyclo threading machine, but haven't had any luck. If anyone knows what the official name/contact of the producer is, I'd be happy to contact them directly and report back (Web searches turn up several 'Cyclo' options).

Thanks in advance for any help -
drossall

Re: Cyclo Spoke Threader question(s)

Post by drossall »

I'd contact Alf Webb at Webbline in Cambridgeshire. I'm not sure of the answer, although I do note that other sizes need their own rollers.

There's an issue, I think, in the fact that the Cyclo tool was originally conceived in the days of rustless spokes. Modern stainless ones are much harder on the roller. I've got a Cyclo tool that was given me by a colleague decades ago, and I bought a new roller from Webbline recently, after the old one failed to make much impression on some modern spokes. I've not yet had need of it again to be able to say how the new one does.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the Cyclo tool brand is (I think) owned by weldtite these days. Any retailer who stocks weldtite products will be able to get spare rolling heads from the wholesaler. I believe they currently do 14g, 13g, 12g rolling heads. A new rolling head is not very expensive (by comparison with any other option for making spoke threads).

Wear mainly occurs in two places; where the rollers bear against their centres, and where the roller bears against the spoke (you tend to get plucking wear under adverse circumstances). Folk get pretty slack when using galvanised spokes; you can get away without being diligent with lubrication.
The wear issue when working with stainless spokes is best dealt with by being careful to lubricate every single spoke that is rolled.

I have recently cut threads on some 15g spokes using a 14g rolling head; in fact I have this particular rolling head marked up with two marks on the adjusting nut; one for 14g threads and one for 15g threads, so that it can quickly be converted from one size to the other.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
olive

Post by olive »

Thank you for sharing your experience with the cyclo - what you describe is what I was hoping to be able to do.
Again - Thanks much!