Best Bike rear light?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
itaa

Best Bike rear light?

Post by itaa »

In front I have a BFL a6 , damn awesome at 1600lumens, lights up everything like crazy and everyone is dazzled :D :D
Need something as good for the rear, basically I want to be SEEN + good quality+ waterproof. Preferable if its rechargeable or runs from 18650.
Not even considering the UK market and their re-branded scams at ridiculous prices, what's the best thing you can get for max $20 from china?
( the quality china stuff not the poundshop quality)
Samuel D

Re: Best Bike rear light?

Post by Samuel D »

Dazzling other road users is a bad thing for both your safety and society’s goodwill toward cyclists on the road. Please don‘t use a torch for a front lamp! You need a shaped beam, like a car’s dipped headlamp, for riding among traffic. Besides, a shaped beam shows the road surface better than any torch no matter how bright. Even illumination is better than an extreme hotspot.

For a rear lamp, you ideally want a few things:
  • continuous illumination (flashing makes it hard to judge distance – something essential for passing car drivers)
  • large surface area (or failing that, long lines of light), again to help judge distance and therefore closing rate
  • deep red colour, not orange or washed-out pink
  • collimated light in centre of beam for distant visibility
  • spill over a wide range of angles at much-reduced brightness, for visibility in close traffic and during passing manoeuvres
  • not so bright even in the collimated beam that it dazzles drivers and cyclists behind you.
Few lamps meet these criteria but, as usual, the better dynamo lamps come closest.

It is an easy mistake to think that greater brightness means greater safety.
meic

Post by meic »

Possibly itaa wants it for daytime riding. Sounds like with the stated criteria.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:Possibly itaa wants it for daytime riding. Sounds like with the stated criteria.

Well that's just daft, reducing the contrast of your silhouette against the low winter sun.

I'd be looking at importing an Axa Greenline or B+M Topline light from Germany, or going to test a few in local shops if there are any good local shops nearby - I think there's at least a couple of Dutch bike shops in Cambridge.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nez

Post by nez »

I don't think lights is an area to save money. Just get the best. My favourite rear light at the moment is see-sense - it seems to influence how people drive around me. The changing signal seems to make them leave a bit more room. And of course it charges on the computer USB. I use it day and night - at night in company with a B&M dynamo set
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Re shaped reflectors: they're excellent, certainly, but none of the mounts that I've seen on such lamps permit them to be slung under the bar upside-down instead of on top.

I use a bar bag with a fork-crown-mounted IQ/Cyo looking out from under, which is fine. However, as a backup I have a Topeak bar extension with an old Cateye HL-EL530 mounted below it, and that is not at all fine. If for some reason my dynamo conks out I'll still be able to dodge the Law, but seeing will be dodgy as well. I'd love to mount something like an Ixon there, but mounting it upside-down is kinda weird: it'd have to point down at something like 45° to get a non-dazzling beam out in front. I've thought of putting a Cree there, with some kind of collimator to avoid dazzle, but so far I haven't come up with any really workable solutions.

Anyway, to return to the OP's query: one of our Audax bunch fitted a hi-intensity rearlight. On its first outing we insisted that he get to the back of the group and stay there. Horrible thing.
Have we got time for another cuppa?